Dipstick heater

/ Dipstick heater #11  
Housed inside, block heater quit working.

Did you do the simple things first ? Check the outlet? Check the cord ? Measure the resistance of the element ? Would be a blow if the problem was a tripped circuit breaker after buying a new heater, draining the coolant, fighting the stuck heater, replacing the coolant, bleeding the block, etc. :eek:

/ Dipstick heater #12  
It's always about watts per square cm. Too much and you are going to have deposits form (holds true for a water heater too), probably resulting in failure and too little and it's of little use. A magnetic oil pan heater would be a much better bet. The circulating coolant heaters are probably the best, although I have never used one.

/ Dipstick heater #13  
This... A block heater is much better or if that's too hard to replace. Get a radiator hose heater. Warming the coolant does a much better job of warming the engine. A cold engine cools the fuel air mix that you're trying to heat in a diesel engine. Remember... It's the compressed air that ignites the diesel fuel.

Ditto on the lower radiator hose heater if not replacing block heater. Also, check the block heater cord...could have just come unplugged from the heater. A battery blanket heater is also a good idea in the cold.

/ Dipstick heater #14  
I would only bother with a battery blanket if your tractor is hard starting in the cold and needs every bit of battery. I'm not a big fan of heating the great outdoors electrically.

/ Dipstick heater #15  
Block heater woes!!!
My Mitsu heater failed and while it should be a 20-30 min job I took me 3.5 hrs to change it.
Dang thing is slightly above the oil filter in a tight area.
Draining the coolant was easy enough as a petcock handles that easily.
However the FEL is really in the way but fortunately I was smart enough to prop it up with a length of channel.
Still to access the old heater was a challenge what with hydraulic hoses and FEL framework in the way.
Dang thing simply would not come out so I drilled a small hole which I then enlarged in order to pry out the old element.
Now what saved my hide is the fact that I had some 24 inch long drill bits as otherwise there was no room for a drill body.
At that in order to protect the hoses I needed to sleeve that drill bit as I did not wish to add failed hoses and wires to the chore.

Next to pry out the drilled element I had to make a bent rod that fitted the element at just the correct angle.
To tighten the screw I had to resort to a flexible extension and modify the socket bit as it was too fat to fit the tiny space.
No screwdriver tip could make suitable contact (due to angle) hence the modified socket.
Did finally pry it out and installed the new element and refilled the coolant.
Plugged it in and listened for that hiss plus confirmed heat with my finger tips.

Now would U know it but next day still no start or heat.
Turns out the heater cord wont make a good contact so I re installed my old one and back came heat.

The only upside is that that day was just at freezing so quite comfortable to work.

I considered a hose heater but there is simply not enough available hose length to install one.

Noe that was installed a few days ago and I , this last minute. verified that I have heat so good to go as we expect snow shortly.

AND some of TBN's actually love snow and winter????

/ Dipstick heater #16  
This... A block heater is much better or if that's too hard to replace. Get a radiator hose heater. Warming the coolant does a much better job of warming the engine. A cold engine cools the fuel air mix that you're trying to heat in a diesel engine. Remember... It's the compressed air that ignites the diesel fuel.

Yes, I had a rad hose heater on our 1973 220D Benz one morning in Vt at -22F. Put it on for about 30 minutes ahead. Fired right up. Of course, I later had a minor problem with wax coming out on the fuel filter. It's right next to the engine. After a couple stalls, was fine.

Ralph

/ Dipstick heater #17  
Silicone Pad Stick On Heater

/ Dipstick heater #18  
Magnetic Heater

/ Dipstick heater #19  
Silicone Pad Stick On Heater

I have used these pad heaters for over 30 years with great results. I even have one on the transmission pan of my '91 F350 snowplow. Even automatic transmission fluid thickens up at -30F.

/ Dipstick heater #20  
Synthetic oil and some way to heat the coolant. The magnetic on the block, better than on the pan. Air cooled engines, oil heaters are the best solution. Heater hose circulating do great. Battery blanket for cold climates, have experience with that on my 1742. Of course merely my opinions.