Disappointed in Massey Ferguson

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #1  

weesa20

Silver Member
I have a 2003 GC2300. Bought originally by me at MF dealer. Less than 270 original hours on the clock. Muffler exhaust pipe has broke off and the exhaust heat melted the headlight assembly.

After doing a little research, it became clear that this is a known problem and they actually changed the design in subsequent model years. I called the dealer that I bought the tractor from with no resolution. Called Massey Ferguson USA with no resolution. The area rep did call me back but states that tractor is 12 years old and therefore no support, even though it only has 270 hours. I guess I should have just used it more in the first year and the exhaust system failure would have been supported.

Anyway, since MF isn't willing to stand behind its product, anyone have any sources for aftermarket exhaust system or headlight assembly? Any other solutions?

thanks

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #2  
I don't think you would have any better luck, with any other brand 12 yr. old tractor either... That's just kinda how it works no matter the brand, same if it was a 12 yr. old car or truck...

SR

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #3  
I have a 2003 GC2300. Bought originally by me at MF dealer. Less than 270 original hours on the clock. Muffler exhaust pipe has broke off and the exhaust heat melted the headlight assembly.

After doing a little research, it became clear that this is a known problem and they actually changed the design in subsequent model years. I called the dealer that I bought the tractor from with no resolution. Called Massey Ferguson USA with no resolution. The area rep did call me back but states that tractor is 12 years old and therefore no support, even though it only has 270 hours. I guess I should have just used it more in the first year and the exhaust system failure would have been supported.

Anyway, since MF isn't willing to stand behind its product, anyone have any sources for aftermarket exhaust system or headlight assembly? Any other solutions?

thanks

My answer would be to not EVER buy ANYTHING colored Massey red again.
Suggest to your friends, far and wide, that they might do the same!

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #4  
Sounds like it wasn't ran for a while and something made a nest in the exhaust and caused things to overheat from restricted flow. It happens.

Not Massey's fault by any means...nor should they have to do anything about it.

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #5  
If I read it right, the pipe BROKE, then melted the headlight.

I agree it isn't ideal, but it isn't MF's issue that something happens to a 12 year old tractor.

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #6  
Sounds like it wasn't ran for a while and something made a nest in the exhaust and caused things to overheat from restricted flow. It happens.

Not Massey's fault by any means...nor should they have to do anything about it.

The OP states that the overheating exhaust (broken pipe) was a problem KNOWN by Massey, and that a subsequent design change was made.
So, ....Massey made a design change, because they learned that the exhaust pipe was an attractive nesting area? Really?
Why, when a pipe design change had subsequently been implemented by the manufacturer, would anyone suggest that the cause of the broken pipe was, "something made a nest in the exhaust"?

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #7  
Lets see if I have this correct in events... It;s 12 years old and at some point the exhaust pipe broke off and started spewing hot exhaust toward the plastic headlight assembly and subsequently melted it. Somehow, that appears to be negligence on your part for not correcting the issue, not MF. If you had exercised due dilligence and not been lazy, it wouldn't have happened.

Sounds like the collateral damage is all on you.

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #8  
To me, this is just another case of the marketing driven world. Don't ever perfect an old product. Just keep bringing out NEW imperfect products. As long as it's NEW, that's all that matters.

I ran into this issue with a ten or so year old Kawi Mule. Very little use and a design flaw only showed up ten years later. And it was a biggie. Broken crank! At first they just said "so sorry" and probably in this age of stupidity asked if there was anything else they could do for me before wishing me a GREAT day! But I escalated the matter and to their credit, they at least came good for the new crank.

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #9  
I'm never going to buy a Ford, GMC, Chrysler, VW, Toyota, John Deere, Case, Komatsu, Mack, International, Freightliner, Western Star, Maytag, Kenmore, Craftsman, MTD, Toshiba, Sony, Frigidaire, Jayco ever again. They all broke outside warranty.

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #10  
The OP states that the overheating exhaust (broken pipe) was a problem KNOWN by Massey, and that a subsequent design change was made.
So, ....Massey made a design change, because they learned that the exhaust pipe was an attractive nesting area? Really?
Why, when a pipe design change had subsequently been implemented by the manufacturer, would anyone suggest that the cause of the broken pipe was, "something made a nest in the exhaust"?

If he knew the pipe was broke, why did he drive it and melt the headlight? I bet he didn't know the pipe was broke before he drove it. The restriction in the exhaust caused the pipe to get hot and break. Once he had a broken pipe, he then looked into the problem and discovered it was a know issue.

Hope you're not a cop for the victims sake...