Disappointed in Massey Ferguson

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #51  
Also, can you show pics of the issue, maybe it would be easier for folks to offer constructive suggestions regarding the repairs

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #52  
12 year old (insert manufacturer here) - parts fail. I am in the process of completely rebuilding my '61 MF 35 due to an oil pump failure. Imagine - a 55 year old tractor failing! I just had to replace the injection pump on a 25 year old Belarus with only 300 hours on it. But . . . it's 25 years old. Hope you have better luck with the parts.

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #53  
Sorry to hear about the problems... someone mentioned welding the muffler and that is what I would look into first. I have had exhausts welded with the low hours and if stored in the Barn, that exhaust should be worth trying to save. As for the light... also look into parts for Iseki since they built the Massey's... worth a try. Good luck. I don't think you can assume everthing else is going to fail because of one issue.

Just fix it and keep it or sell it.

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #54  
Yup, not arguing about the warranty. I'm talking about a manufacturer standing behind its product and correcting a known design issue. Maybe all consumers should have higher expectations on quality products for our dollars.

Interesting thing is that I am in the market for a new 30-35 hp tractor and zturn. Guess where I won't be going and what brand I won't be buying...?

What's interesting is that you all have been saying that if I had used the tractor more and put 270 hours on it in only 2 years, the manufacturer would be expected to fix it, but because it took me 10 more years, they are off the hook? Guess I need to look for products with hour based warranties and not year based warranties.

I feel for you but that is life, I would be disappointed too, but look at any warranty, a car with 3 year bumper to bumper or 60,000kms which ever comes first, that's the way it is unless the government gets involved or the media but that is usually life threatening issues. This could be said of any brand but this is the way MF handled it as it may not have been a wide spread problem in there view, sometimes you just have to weigh your options and move on. Good luck, no offense intended just an opinion.

Steve

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #55  
Products, whether it be a tractor or some other major item, all go through improvements over the years. If every time an improvement was made, the OEM was required to reach back and improve all the earlier machines, tractors would be prohibitively expensive. A warranty is an agreement, and all the tractor warranties of which I am aware have an hour usage and a calendar time limit, whichever comes first. And on compact tractors, 99.5% of the time the years expire way, way before the hours are anywhere near the limit.

I'd have thought when the muffler failed it would make a lot of noise and you could have noticed that and stopped mowing. Then a little welding job could have been done perhaps and you would have been good to go without the headlight issue.

Unless items are significant or safety related, flaws in tractors that are covered under warranty generally are "fix as fail". And if it does not fail in the time period, it is not fixed. I don't always agree with this, I think there are issues for which the OEM should be more proactive. But if that muffler handled 12-13 years of usage before failing, I'd say it wasn't a grossly flawed muffler system requiring a OEM to retroactively fix.

I think you are being too harsh on Massey. What you are encountering is normal procedure for all brands. After more than a decade, you asked for warranty. That was pretty bold. They said no, and I'd just fix it and enjoy your little tractor. Maybe in another 12-13 years it will have another issue...and that ain't bad!

Buy the headlight new and replace it, but consider repairing the muffler. 15 minutes with a mig welder will weld a muffler back together and another 15 minutes to add a brace perhaps. $50 ought to fix it unless it is a rusty mess.

/ Disappointed in Massey Ferguson #56  
Personally I think this thread has run its' course. Every few days another post appears reiterating what has been said over and over. OP doesn't even bother responding anymore. Not surprised actually. Time to unsubscribe.