Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters..

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Pelonis sells a disc furnace and ceramic heaters. I have a very old disc furnace (pd like $90 for it in 1989), but I cant tell why it is any better than a regular ceramic heater..

Is there really difference in heating OR is it just a marketing ploy like the Edenpure/amish heaters?

thanks

Brian

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #2  
If what you refer to is electric, then there is no magic at all. It matters not whether one uses ceramic, quartz, oil filled, eden pure raz-ma-taz, etc.

Electricity is pure math. Buy a kilowatt from your electric server and resist it any way you want to, you get X amount of btu. The formula is available.
X amount of kilowatts produce exactly X amount of heat(btu)

All the hype is silly.

If you are referring to gas, then kindly disregard the above.

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters..
I am refering to electric heaters, sorry that wasnt clear to start with..

Here are links to the website.. the marketing is that the design/shape of the disc furnaces are more efficient..

disc furnace Pelonis Disc Furnaces

ceramic heater Pelonis Ceramic Heaters

brian

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #4  
If you look at the spec's on both of those heaters 1500 watts = 5200BTU

"All of our disc furnaces include the patented honeycomb disc
which is extremely safe, very powerful, and energy efficient."

Compared to what?

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #5  
If what you refer to is electric, then there is no magic at all. It matters not whether one uses ceramic, quartz, oil filled, eden pure raz-ma-taz, etc.

Electricity is pure math. Buy a kilowatt from your electric server and resist it any way you want to, you get X amount of btu. The formula is available.
X amount of kilowatts produce exactly X amount of heat(btu)

All the hype is silly.

This is something I have been curious about. Watts are watts for sure, but does it make a difference as to the wavelength the heater produces and how that feels to your skin? Like a 250W food warming bulb compared to a resistance element. Or, is the bulb just focusing and directing the heat put out by the bulbs (resistive element) filament?

Never had a chance to make side by side comparisons. Lots of choices like oil-filled radiator, quartz, ceramic, etc. The Amish are known for having an electric heater in every room :D
Dave.

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #6  
I have both a new and old disc/ceramic furnace I thought they were the same thing. like was mentioned you can only get so much heat out of 1500 watts, which is pretty much the same for all the 110 heaters, so they can be used on any 15 amp circuit.

I've tried different ones for dif apps, I have an oil filled one, they are good for slow and quiet, the old coil ones are about the same as the disc heaters with forced air, they are faster to warm you if your right in front of them.

The big advantage of the disc furnaces is their small size, the same heat out of a smaller package.

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #7  
I am refering to electric heaters, sorry that wasnt clear to start with..

Here are links to the website.. the marketing is that the design/shape of the disc furnaces are more efficient..

disc furnace Pelonis Disc Furnaces

ceramic heater Pelonis Ceramic Heaters

brian

Again, Electricity is simple mathematics. It is 100% efficient. You get 100% of the resisted electricity into your home. Send in X# of watts, resist it, and you got get Y amount of BTU. The farcical marketing of electric heaters is scientific absurdity. 1500 watts is 5120 btu an hour

Spread it out long ways, like a baseboard, pack it into a cube, waste more electricity blowing it, it all comes out the same. Buy what you like. Personally, I won't add to the cost by spending more watts on a blower. It doesn't add to the heat. Convection is free from nature.

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #8  
I was saddened to see that my elderly mother in law had gotten sucked into buying a $300 electric heater advertised in newspapers and magazines. I'm sure it is safer than some electric heaters, but no way worth that kinda $$.

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #9  
I'm waiting for the heating equivalent of an LED.....heat your whole house with one AAA battery!

Chuck

/ Disc furnaces vs ceramic heaters.. #10  
I was saddened to see that my elderly mother in law had gotten sucked into buying a $300 electric heater advertised in newspapers and magazines. I'm sure it is safer than some electric heaters, but no way worth that kinda $$.

It borders on consumer fraud, sadly. Likely, a $40 WalMart oil filled produces the same amount of BTU.