Disc Harrow Alterations

/ Disc Harrow Alterations
After much consideration and research, placed order this morning for the Brazilian made blades and axles to allow to move back to standard configuration and 8' width. All parts primed and ready for paint, but local JD store was out of the paint. Should be in this week.

If all goes well should have this wrapped up by end of next weekend.

/ Disc Harrow Alterations #72  
Glad to hear that you will have a complete disc ready to use very soon.:thumbsup:

My Mother and brother will be in McComb about March 15th try to have it ready for pickup by then. I need to borrow it to get a better idea of how well you did with it. Should be able to get it back to you within a few years.

Glad to hear that you will have a complete disc ready to use very soon.:thumbsup:

My Mother and brother will be in McComb about March 15th try to have it ready for pickup by then. I need to borrow it to get a better idea of how well you did with it. Should be able to get it back to you within a few years.

Now that's a good one. I could probably work something out to use it in McComb, but not sure I have good directions to pick it back up from New Mexico!!

Blades came in Friday and was able to get it finished up today. Measured it across at 96". Got a chance to try it out and it seems to do just fine. Wind here today is blowing 20 mph or so and around 40 degrees. Cool for my part of the country. Will get a little more time to really try it out when it warms up and dries up some. Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations along the way.

Attachments

• Long Complete 2012-02-11 16.02.59.jpg
    Long Complete 2012-02-11 16.02.59.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Long Complete 2012-02-11 16.03.20.jpg
    Long Complete 2012-02-11 16.03.20.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 167
  • Long Complete 2012-02-11 16.32.42.jpg
    Long Complete 2012-02-11 16.32.42.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 166
   / Disc Harrow Alterations #75  
:thumbsup:

Sure looks nice !
What ya think it weighs with that 4" frame almost 1100 maybe ?

Boone

Good question. Not sure. May have to see about weighing it at some point. The blades were around 450 lbs and the gang tubes are 1/4" x 4". That is probably a close figure.

/ Disc Harrow Alterations #77  
Great job on the restoration.:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see how it does this spring, couple of passes and it will sink to the axles. Let us know how it goes.:)

On my second trial run I noticed that on my last pass I was making an odd mark on the outer edge of the cut. Got off and got to checking and noticed that the outside front blade was at an angle. It appears the axle nut came loose and the the bumper washer and nut came off. The blade wobbled on the axle and fouled up threads. Got the axle rethreaded today and hope to get it all back together tomorrow evening with new lock nuts.

Any suggestions on how to tighten the axle nuts? Don't see how you can do it with the blades sitting on the ground as they won't want to pull up? Seems like would be better to have the blades off the ground. I went and picked up a 1/2" to 3/4" adapater so that I can use my 3/4" drive sockets with my impact wrench to hopefully make the process easier.

/ Disc Harrow Alterations #79  
I suspect they will pull up with the impact wrench easy enough. A good hard surface and a piece of flat steel might help if you really need it. Also could raise it slightly and use a 2x4 to chock the inside blade on each axle while tightening with the impact wrench. I would recommend you check them frequently the first few hours of use.