Disc Harrow Alterations

/ Disc Harrow Alterations #81  
You are going to find that the axle nut will get loose and need tightening several times as the new axle stretches and the blades and spacers settle in. You need to check them at least every round you make by taping (hard) the individual blades with a hammer. Any not ringing are loose. I used to carry a 4 pound hammer and pipe wrench to beat them tight with the disc blade engaged in the dirt. After you get them seated well and the axles stretched, you should bend that keeper washer over. I wouldnt do it now as you will be tightening them several times before you get all the slack out. Using an impact might get them tighter than my old method of pipe wrench and shop hammer, but the advantage was, I could have them in the field and tighten on the spot.
If you are going to impact them, I would tighten, then go over each blade with a hammer making a firm hit from the back side, then try the impact again to see if you get some more turn. Repeat till the nut no longer moves. Striking the blade induces it to seat into the coupling spacer. They should all ring like a bell at the same octave when tightened.

/ Disc Harrow Alterations
All good suggestions. Picked up some of the fold over washers today. Busy week this week. May be the weekend before can get it all back together. Have used a pipe wrench and sledge hammer in past to get nut tight on other disc. Hopefully impact will make that process easier. May go ahead and put fold over, lock washer and nut on now and just not bend over the fold over for a little while.

Was able to get axle threads repaired, new lock washers for each and the fold over keepers. Picked up a 1/2" to 3/4" socket adapter so I could use my 3/4" socket that fits the axle nut with my impact wrench. Seems so far to have pulled them up tight. Put the fold over on, lock washer and then nut. Going to hold off for a little while before folding over the keeper as was recommended above. Under flash flood warning today so may be a little while before it is dry enough that I can put some time on the unit to check it again for tightness.

While reassembling I had to add a 1" spacer to get my 9" spacing on one section on one axle. Was able to take it back apart this morning and found the correct single piece locally to correct having to have two. Tightened everything good and turned under about 4 acres. Tightened everything again and am getting little to no movement. Everything seems to be tight and staying that way so I folded over the keepers. I made an adjustment to the rear gang and it seems to have helped with cutting more level. Thought I would need the rear as aggressive as I could, but works better moved out one position.

This is the final post I plan to make on this thread. Thanks for all of the input, advice and suggestions along the way. I am very satisfied with the end results of this project. I spent a little more than I planned to, but in the end believe the numbers work out to be around half of what a comparable new disc harrow would run. Here are a few pictures of before and after. I took one of the bottom to show how close it is with the 20" blades and how 22" blades may have been too tight. I think they would have cleared, but not by much.

Thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

• Initial Pic 1.jpg
    Initial Pic 1.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Initial Pic-2.jpg
    Initial Pic-2.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Initial Pic-3.jpg
    Initial Pic-3.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Complete Side View 2012-02-25 16.30.24.jpg
    Complete Side View 2012-02-25 16.30.24.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Complete Rear View 2012-02-25 16.30.47.jpg
    Complete Rear View 2012-02-25 16.30.47.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Complete Hitch 2012-02-25 16.31.12.jpg
    Complete Hitch 2012-02-25 16.31.12.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Complete Bottom View 2012-02-25 16.45.14.jpg
    Complete Bottom View 2012-02-25 16.45.14.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Complete Including Tractor 2012-02-25 16.30.10.jpg
    Complete Including Tractor 2012-02-25 16.30.10.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 173
   / Disc Harrow Alterations #85  
Great job on the rebuild should be good for many years and suspect it is better than new.:thumbsup:

Please let us know how it works on your fields, how many passes it take to work it up?

I would suggest bushings over the lower pins to reduce slop and wear.

/ Disc Harrow Alterations #86  
Great job on the rebuild should be good for many years and suspect it is better than new.:thumbsup:

Please let us know how it works on your fields, how many passes it take to work it up?

I would suggest bushings over the lower pins to reduce slop and wear.

2x.

Found this thread with Google when trying to learn more about the Long Model 960 Serial # 245T we bought tonight. They must have went out of business long before the web because I can find no factory manual etc.

With all the raining may go pick up disc and plows tomorrow while everything is muddy. Thanks for posting the bearing part number should I need one. At a glance they did look like standard off the shelf parts.

Gale Hawkins said:
2x.

Found this thread with Google when trying to learn more about the Long Model 960 Serial # 245T we bought tonight. They must have went out of business long before the web because I can find no factory manual etc.

With all the raining may go pick up disc and plows tomorrow while everything is muddy. Thanks for posting the bearing part number should I need one. At a glance they did look like standard off the shelf parts.

I listed most of my search efforts and decisions made in this thread. I too could find no information on the equipment or company. Fortunately the disc was pretty standard and no issues found while looking for repair parts. I basically rebuilt the entire unit on mine. The only original pieces left were the main square frame and most of the blade spacers.

Good luck with your new to you disc.

Have had opportunity past few weeks to do a good bit of disking. Last weekend while on my last location for the day after four or so hours of disking I noticed my front left blade had come off. After checking closer I noticed the threads on the end of the axle were damaged. Re-cut the threads and reassembled with impact wrench again. Turned under about an acre, checked again and still tight so I folded over the tab.

Did about another four hours or today and noticed it was loose again. Any suggestions?

ForumRunner_20120922_193111.png

ForumRunner_20120922_193131.png

/ Disc Harrow Alterations #89  
........Did about another four hours or today and noticed it was loose again. Any suggestions
Clean the threads and apply some medium strength (or high strength...just have to heat to remove in the future) Loctite and tighten it up again. I have a suspicion your lock tab is moving.

/ Disc Harrow Alterations #90  
Clean the threads and apply some medium strength (or high strength...just have to heat to remove in the future) Loctite and tighten it up again. I have a suspicion your lock tab is moving.

I agree. The tab lock you have is too soft and not holding on the big hex. Also, I suspect looking at it, someone made it and it is too thin. If too thin, it will act as if too soft and move to allow rotation.

Tom