Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #31  
This may sound and is goin be a real blonde question. Why do u "hill"patatoes and how do u hill them

Because you get more potatoes that way. Potatoes, like tomatoes and other solanacea easily convert shoot nodes into root nodes. Once the plant is tall enough, you can bury part of it and it will produce more tubers.

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #32  
Don87
Looks like those shanks are mounted on the concave side of the disc :confused3:.
The discs will work more efficiently if they are mounted so the shanks
are on the convex side. The dirt will then roll off the concave side of the
disc UNIMPEDED :cool2:.

HTH

Arkaybee

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #33  
Just finished my hiller / cultivator toolbar, be a couple months before I can test it. First 2 pics are with the hiller discs, and last one is a picture with everything attached

Attachments

• 100_8272.JPG
    100_8272.JPG
    398.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 100_8273.JPG
    100_8273.JPG
    445.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 100_8274.JPG
    100_8274.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 425
   / Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #34  
Here's the rig that I had for my 4010. I'd used the disc hillers to make raised rows. I made this rig up with smaller discs and put some of the old "soil ripper" cultivator tines on and called it my "row maintainance rig". I never used it, as I just plain decided to go no-till after making the raised rows.

Finally gave it all away to a friend who has a 4010 like the one I had. I quit my big garden due to health problems.

Ralph

Attachments

• Row Maint Front small.jpg
    Row Maint Front small.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 441
   / Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #35  
Just finished my hiller / cultivator toolbar, be a couple months before I can test it. First 2 pics are with the hiller discs, and last one is a picture with everything attached

That looks very good - please post few photos when you get to use it this summer!

I bought a hiller last fall and have not had a chance to use it yet.

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #36  
That looks very good - please post few photos when you get to use it this summer!

I bought a hiller last fall and have not had a chance to use it yet.

thanks, I will post a few pics when I get it figured out. I have a feeling I will be scanning the posts looking for tips on setting it up

/ Disc Hiller/Cultivator Combo #37  
Subscribing to this thread and stealing all of your ideas! :D

I have a bottom half of a two row planter and toolbar that I was thinking about turning into a potato digger. I'm more interested in having a hiller though.