Disk Harrow

/ Disk Harrow #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
My search skills must be failing....

I have a NH Boomer 24. I want to disk about 10 acres. How big (small?) of a disk harrow can I pull? Soil is clay and sand. I know the "rule of thumb" for the bush hog is 5 HP per foot. Is there a similar idea for the disk harrow?

Land was previously in corn. I want to turn it over and plant pasture grass. I figure this will also help get rid of the "rows" built up from planting corn and beans over the years by the prior owner.

Thanks for any advice.

/ Disk Harrow #2  
The lightest Disc Harrow which is moderately effective has 18" diameter pans. The lightest Disc Harrow which is effective has 20" diameter pans. To pull a Disc Harrow with 20" pans at a brisk pace requires a 3,500 pound (bare tractor) tractor and 4-WD. Both 18" and 20" Disc Harrows are really SECONDARY TILLAGE implements.

Beginning at 22" pans, better 24" pans, Disc Harrows can serve as PRIMARY TILLAGE implements in soft soil.

Lighter tractors have to mix soil with PTO powered roto-tillers.

Both Disc Harrows and roto-tillers are soil mixing implements.

If it has been ten years since your ground was last plowed, plowing will raise fresh nutrients to the surface. Roto-tilling will produce almost the same result. Discing, less.

There are "rules" for PTO powered implements. For ground contact implements it is tractor weight.

Consider a Field Cultivator, which is excellent for regular pasture aeration after you break up existing irregularities.
VIDEO: field cultivator small tractor - YouTube
LINK TO IOWA FARM EQUIPMENT: Chisel Plows

Attachments

• DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,291
  • DSC00362.jpg
    DSC00362.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 271
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 339
  • DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
   / Disk Harrow #3  
The lightest Disc Harrow which is moderately effective has 18" diameter pans. The lightest Disc Harrow which is effective has 20" diameter pans. To pull a Disc Harrow with 20" pans at a brisk pace requires a 3,500 pound (bare tractor) tractor and 4-WD. Both 18" and 20" Disc Harrows are really SECONDARY TILLAGE implements.

Beginning at 22" pans, better 24" pans, Disc Harrows can serve as PRIMARY TILLAGE implements in soft soil.

Lighter tractors have to mix soil with PTO powered roto-tillers.

Both Disc Harrows and roto-tillers are soil mixing implements.

If it has been ten years since your ground was last plowed, plowing will raise fresh nutrients to the surface. Roto-tilling will produce almost the same result. Discing, less.

There are some "rules" for PTO powered implements. For ground contact implements it is tractor weight.

Consider a Field Cultivator, which is excellent for regular pasture aeration.
VIDEO: field cultivator small tractor - YouTube
LINK TO IOWA FARM EQUIPMENT: Chisel Plows

Nice reply. I am a firm believer in subsoiling my clay. Really helps the disc implements do their job. I bought a roto tiller this year and planned on burying Austrian Winter Peas. Been more of a job than I planned. The roto tiller just wrapped the vines around the tines. Course I had the back door shut. Had it been open (which I forgot to do) it may have gone better. Don't know. Next time I think I'll get out the shredder and mow them first, then subsoil (Hay King is what I use and like), and then roto till. We'll see what happens.

/ Disk Harrow #4  
I have coveted Hay King renovators for years. Just too expensive for the limited use I would have for that specialized implement.

I raise Austrian Winter Peas as one constituent in my winter deer Food Plots. I scalp Bush Hog, then Disc. I only have two acres of food plots.

Last edited:
   / Disk Harrow
IT has only been 2 years since it was in corn.

Are you thinking a PTO powered roto-tiller would turn the stover under and deal with the rows created from the farming of the corn?

/ Disk Harrow #6  
Check out Land Pride's video on their reverse tine tiller burying surface trash. If it satisfies as far as the finished product, consider renting one and trying it out. Doing 10 acres once with the tiller is still going to take less time than going over the same area 3 times with a disc. And consider tilling at a diagonal to the rows to level everything out. Your 24 should handle a 5 footer and would give you an idea if you want to buy something larger or smaller.

/ Disk Harrow #7  
My search skills must be failing....

I have a NH Boomer 24. I want to disk about 10 acres. How big (small?) of a disk harrow can I pull? Soil is clay and sand. I know the "rule of thumb" for the bush hog is 5 HP per foot. Is there a similar idea for the disk harrow?

Land was previously in corn. I want to turn it over and plant pasture grass. I figure this will also help get rid of the "rows" built up from planting corn and beans over the years by the prior owner.

Thanks for any advice.

Our 5 ft Tarter forward or reverse rotation roto tiller would probable be the best option for doing what you describe and then use if for other jobs around the farm/garden etc when finished. Ken Sweet
New Forward or Reverse Rotation Geardrive Tarter 5 FT Roto Tiller, WE SHIP CHEAP | eBay

/ Disk Harrow
Check out Land Pride's video on their reverse tine tiller burying surface trash. If it satisfies as far as the finished product, consider renting one and trying it out. Doing 10 acres once with the tiller is still going to take less time than going over the same area 3 times with a disc. And consider tilling at a diagonal to the rows to level everything out. Your 24 should handle a 5 footer and would give you an idea if you want to buy something larger or smaller.

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Actually I think a guy down the street may have a tiller. I'll have to see if it is reverse tine and if he will let me borrow/rent it.

Our 5 ft Tarter forward or reverse rotation roto tiller would probable be the best option for doing what you describe and then use if for other jobs around the farm/garden etc when finished. Ken Sweet
New Forward or Reverse Rotation Geardrive Tarter 5 FT Roto Tiller, WE SHIP CHEAP | eBay

Thanks Ken. This is a one time project. Just trying to turn under corn stover and get the ground levelish. Then plant pasture grass. So I am looking to buy used or rent. If buying used I would likely turn around and sell again relatively quickly. So investing in something new just does not seem economical.

/ Disk Harrow #9  
Small tractors can power forward operating roto-tillers fine. The forward rotating tines push the tractor forward.

Reverse rotation tillers, which pull against the tractor, require more tractor weight and more tractor power.

Soil moistness, soil constituents and crop root residue will all affect how much tractor is required.

I speculate the roto-tiller market is 85% forward rotation, 15% other.