Disk Harrow

/ Disk Harrow #11  
My search skills must be failing....

I have a NH Boomer 24. I want to disk about 10 acres. How big (small?) of a disk harrow can I pull? Soil is clay and sand. I know the "rule of thumb" for the bush hog is 5 HP per foot. Is there a similar idea for the disk harrow?

Land was previously in corn. I want to turn it over and plant pasture grass. I figure this will also help get rid of the "rows" built up from planting corn and beans over the years by the prior owner.

Thanks for any advice.

Your boomer 24 weighs about 1700 pounds. You do not state what tires it features. If it has turf tires it will not pull hard on plowed soil. R4s will pull better; ag tires will pull best. Disc harrows vary considerably in weight, angle which discs can be set at, disc diameter, disc shape (cupped, scalloped, flat), and whether they are drag or 3 point hitch style. I have found that my JD which is 38.5HP with Ag tires and 4WD can have trouble pulling an old but good and heavy drag disc 7' wide when I set it at sharp angles. It is a lot heavier than modern ones so it bites better. Set at milder angles it is easier to pull. I can get alot of wheel spin and it is better to lessen the angle and make more than one pass in different directions. Nonetheless, in a pinch I have used turf tires on it to disc small amounts (2 or 3 acres) just to save time. I also found for flattening the dirt a followup with a spring tooth harrow really helps flatten the soil. Discing after the soil has dried out in the sun for some days after plowing helps - dry soil clods break up easier. If you have clay you will not be able to pull a very wide disc. There is a tradeoff here - given that you intend to do 10 acres, already have a 24 hp machine with some sort of tires, and probably won't repeat every year, you have to consider what the disc will cost. I'd go used. I'd try to find one with an adjustable angle, and the heavier the better, but I would avoid anything wider than 5 or 6'. If it is too hard to pull you could remove some outer edge discs. Sharper angles cut dirt clods better, but are harder to pull. I would guess your machine could pull a 5 or 6' modern real light one, but not an older heavier one of that width especially if its discs run at sharp angles. You might struggle with wheelspin if you have turf tires and the angle is not adjustable, but eventually it'd be done.

/ Disk Harrow
Your boomer 24 weighs about 1700 pounds. You do not state what tires it features. If it has turf tires it will not pull hard on plowed soil. R4s will pull better; ag tires will pull best. Disc harrows vary considerably in weight, angle which discs can be set at, disc diameter, disc shape (cupped, scalloped, flat), and whether they are drag or 3 point hitch style. I have found that my JD which is 38.5HP with Ag tires and 4WD can have trouble pulling an old but good and heavy drag disc 7' wide when I set it at sharp angles. It is a lot heavier than modern ones so it bites better. Set at milder angles it is easier to pull. I can get alot of wheel spin and it is better to lessen the angle and make more than one pass in different directions. Nonetheless, in a pinch I have used turf tires on it to disc small amounts (2 or 3 acres) just to save time. I also found for flattening the dirt a followup with a spring tooth harrow really helps flatten the soil. Discing after the soil has dried out in the sun for some days after plowing helps - dry soil clods break up easier. If you have clay you will not be able to pull a very wide disc. There is a tradeoff here - given that you intend to do 10 acres, already have a 24 hp machine with some sort of tires, and probably won't repeat every year, you have to consider what the disc will cost. I'd go used. I'd try to find one with an adjustable angle, and the heavier the better, but I would avoid anything wider than 5 or 6'. If it is too hard to pull you could remove some outer edge discs. Sharper angles cut dirt clods better, but are harder to pull. I would guess your machine could pull a 5 or 6' modern real light one, but not an older heavier one of that width especially if its discs run at sharp angles. You might struggle with wheelspin if you have turf tires and the angle is not adjustable, but eventually it'd be done.

Yes my tractor has tires lol... they are R4's. I am certainly looking used. The ideal situation would be to buy used, get the project done and sell it. Rental (if I can find one) would be an option too, but that puts you under time pressure. Of course I am under time pressure to get it done so that grass can be planted in the spring planting season. Usually mid May around here for grass. Hence my need to start looking now.

/ Disk Harrow #13  
I agree with the other posters that a 5' disk is about the biggest you could pull.

I also agree that you'll have trouble cutting through the sod if it had grass/weeds grow on it all last year.
One potential solution which hasn't been mentioned, you could use Roundup or other burn-down herbicide to kill the vegetation, then wait a couple of weeks before disking. This would make it easier to cut through the tough sod.

The other approaches are 1) Roto-tiller, or 2) Moldboard plow, then disk, etc.

I think the burn-down followed by disking would be easiest. I see (only) one on craigslist within 200 miles of central Indiana. Not sure where you are located. This one is in Ky. It looks a bit rough, but it looks heavy, and that is what you need. I can't tell if says he has already replaced the bearings, or if they NEED to be replaced.

5.5 3point disk

/ Disk Harrow
I agree with the other posters that a 5' disk is about the biggest you could pull.

I also agree that you'll have trouble cutting through the sod if it had grass/weeds grow on it all last year.
One potential solution which hasn't been mentioned, you could use Roundup or other burn-down herbicide to kill the vegetation, then wait a couple of weeks before disking. This would make it easier to cut through the tough sod.

The other approaches are 1) Roto-tiller, or 2) Moldboard plow, then disk, etc.

I think the burn-down followed by disking would be easiest. I see (only) one on craigslist within 200 miles of central Indiana. Not sure where you are located. This one is in Ky. It looks a bit rough, but it looks heavy, and that is what you need. I can't tell if says he has already replaced the bearings, or if they NEED to be replaced.

5.5 3point disk

Thanks. That unit looks ROUGH. It says field ready so I would think that means bearings are replaced, but who knows. I am in Northern Indiana so that is like a 9 hour (one way) drive for me.

Got a couple leads on used tillers though now so one of those may pan out.

/ Disk Harrow #15  
!0 ac is a lot for a small tractor. Hire it done.

/ Disk Harrow #16  
Thanks. That unit looks ROUGH. It says field ready so I would think that means bearings are replaced, but who knows. I am in Northern Indiana so that is like a 9 hour (one way) drive for me.

Got a couple leads on used tillers though now so one of those may pan out.

I guess I should drive up and help you. Wouldn't take TOO long with two tillers :) ...or maybe you could host a 'plow day' of sorts?

/ Disk Harrow
!0 ac is a lot for a small tractor. Hire it done.

The seat time is therapeutic for me plus getting additional experience will be good.

/ Disk Harrow #18  
I suggest a 4' forward rotation tiller would be the best for your uses. Might want to see if you can rent one in your locale. I would not bother with a small disc, just not a good match for your tractor.

/ Disk Harrow #19  
The seat time is therapeutic for me plus getting additional experience will be good.

I understand. Will work the little tractor to death. Lots of fuel and time. I do 20 acres with 75 hp using a 4 bottom plow and a 12' disk and it takes a lot of fuel and Time. If I was just doing 10 acres I would still want the same equipment I use.

/ Disk Harrow #20  
Yes my tractor has tires lol... they are R4's. I am certainly looking used. The ideal situation would be to buy used, get the project done and sell it. Rental (if I can find one) would be an option too, but that puts you under time pressure. Of course I am under time pressure to get it done so that grass can be planted in the spring planting season. Usually mid May around here for grass. Hence my need to start looking now.

If it were me, I would reconsider selling the disc/tiller after this job. With that much acreage, you may be surprised how often you may need these tools. Ken Sweet