Disposal of oil

/ Disposal of oil #11  
If all places that might take oil refuse to take it from me my wife puts on miniskirt, high heels and goes back there and comes home with empty containers. Go figure how man's mind works.

Last edited:
   / Disposal of oil #12  
keep it cleaned used oil... no rags, no water, nut crud / junk in it. no metal shavings, no kitty litter from spilled / cleaned up messes. other words just old used up oil.

i have ended up with 30 gallon drums, to 5 gallon buckets, to other. i finally ended up with a 30 gallon drum.

i was making larger messes than i cared about using 1 qrt bottle at a time and refilling the bottles back up. 5 gallon buckets become a pain to dump into / open back up. 1 gallon to 2 gallon bottles just made a bigger mess when i tipped one over... so i ended up with a 30 gallon drum, with approx 2" plug on top that comes off easily, and i can drop a nice large funnel down into. so it easy to dump the larger oil catch pan i have.

contact your local auto repair places. more so mom/pop shops. they more likely willing to take it. large chain stores may not take it.

/ Disposal of oil #13  
What has everyone been doing with their hydraulic fluid?

/ Disposal of oil #15  
Same thing as normal oil. I set it out with my recycle. Usually 5 gallons at a time.

Interesting. I had O'Reillys refuse it because it wasn't engine oil. Maybe I should go back and try again?

/ Disposal of oil #16  
I take it all to my local TSC. I save it in 5 gallon buckets, and when I get several full I stop at TSC and empty them into their tank. Last time we had 5 buckets full that we emptied there.

/ Disposal of oil #17  
I just dropped off 10 gallons of used oil at Walmart on Thursday. I drive around to the back of the automotive dept. and someone will unlock the tank to put the oil into. Easy as can be. I have one five gallon hydraulic bucket that I've saved and put 5 gallons into that easily. It's easier to handle than the 4-5 quart containers that oil come in.

/ Disposal of oil #18  
Interesting. I had O'Reillys refuse it because it wasn't engine oil. Maybe I should go back and try again?

Try a different one and mix in some engine oil. They wouldn't know the difference here lol. Anymore I find what I need on their website and take the part number in with me rather than have them tell me what I need.

/ Disposal of oil #19  
Our town recycling, transfer station(dump) will take any automotive/tractor lubrication oils, including hydraulic fluids/differential, transfer case oils, whether dino or synthetic, in any volume; the only restriction is you have to be able to lift the container to just over waist level to pour it into the holding tank