Disposal of oil

/ Disposal of oil #22  
Some people add it to their heating oil,I'm told.
Apparently win/win.

/ Disposal of oil #23  
Some people add it to their heating oil,I'm told.
Apparently win/win.

I wouldn't think that would be a good idea...the gunk from the motor oil would likely clog your filter up pretty quickly. Not sure what the difference is between a "normal" furnace and a waste-oil heater. Any plans for a DIY one generally seemed to use a drip system instead of a nozzle.

Many years ago I tried using it for bar oil in my chainsaw. Bad idea. The aforementioned gunk did a good job clogging up all the chain lube passage ways. Real PITA cleaning it out. All that to save $5 on a gallon of bar oil. :duh:

/ Disposal of oil #24  
I think the reality of people doing it,kind of beats presumptions.
On another note, oil good enough for a 30k vehicle lubricant should 'suffice ' for simple burning.

/ Disposal of oil #25  
Our local muffler/welding shop burns it to heat their shop. The filters & oily rags, I burn in my shop wood stove.

/ Disposal of oil #26  
Never paid much attention to burning oil until i found out the place I am moving to has an oil furnace for the shop. Does all this synthetic oil and hydraulic fluid burn like Dino oil?

/ Disposal of oil #27  
I got a used 275 gallon plastic chemical tote and put my used oil in it. I don't put any antifreeze, etc in there but I do put used motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, etc. When full I call the local oil recycler and they come pump it out for free. They told me if I had over 1000 gallons a year or something like that they would actually pay me for the used oil but I don't have that kind of volume so they just take it for free. Depending on how busy we are I have to get it pumped once or twice a year but we have lots of things with engines and a couple neighbors come by and dump their oil in there as well as it is more convenient for them than running to town.

/ Disposal of oil #28  
I got a used 275 gallon plastic chemical tote and put my used oil in it. I don't put any antifreeze, etc in there but I do put used motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, etc. When full I call the local oil recycler and they come pump it out for free. They told me if I had over 1000 gallons a year or something like that they would actually pay me for the used oil but I don't have that kind of volume so they just take it for free. Depending on how busy we are I have to get it pumped once or twice a year but we have lots of things with engines and a couple neighbors come by and dump their oil in there as well as it is more convenient for them than running to town.

I was going to do that with an old heating oil tank, luckily I called the place that picks up our oil at work before I did. 275 gallon disposal was going to cost $175! Work gets paid for their waste oil, but home owner doesn't. So, to the curb it goes. Glad it worked out so well for you though!