Ditch Witch!

/ Ditch Witch! #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
In preperation for my new garage build, I bought a ditch witch J20. Starts, runs, digs, needs a bit of work. Needs choke cable, spark plug cable, air filter, and possibly key switch. When you turn the key off, the machine doesn't shut off. It's a bit hard to start on ether. The spark plug wire is broken inside the wire, I push the wire the second cylinder it fires up. Otherwise it doesnt leak, doesn't smoke, power steering, angle, etc all work. I think $1,125 was a good price.

Anyone know a good place to get parts or a manual for this?

st0Wq1Ph.jpg

2clwlemh.jpg

/ Ditch Witch! #2  
Your local DW dealer should be able to supply what you need...may find a less costly manual on e-bay etc...

They are usually very good at helping with parts...they aren't exactly cheap though....great machines !

/ Ditch Witch!
Nearest dealer is 75 miles away. Went to their website, and full manual and parts catalog. Most of my machines I don't have luck with that. Will pull it into the garage tomorrow and take it apart to see how things work.

/ Ditch Witch! #4  
My son has a DW. Great machine when you need it. Sounds like you got a good deal.

/ Ditch Witch!
Garage I'm building needs power/water and it's quite a distance from the house. I have to do the power before the building inspector and the water after the building inspector. I also want to run power to my shed, it'd be nice to have a light and outlet for a battery tender in there, and it's way at the back of the property line. The people that installed the power to my pool pump buried the lines 6" deep, so I also want to re-run those.

/ Ditch Witch! #6  
Nearest dealer is 75 miles away. Went to their website, and full manual and parts catalog. Most of my machines I don't have luck with that. Will pull it into the garage tomorrow and take it apart to see how things work.

I can only speak for DW of GA but I usually have parts within 2 days often in one day...they are very good for fast shipping and they are also very helpful on the phone...they actually let you talk to their mechanics etc...

I have a 3610 w/ back hoe...

/ Ditch Witch! #7  
thats a good deal...finish up your work than resell it for what you paid... if not more. Ive seen those go for ridiculous prices at auctions this year.

/ Ditch Witch!
In the garage ready for tear down.

POERMQz.jpg

/ Ditch Witch! #9  
Is that a Wisconsin engine on that one? I remember coming across one like that a couple years ago an electrical outfit owned it. Sure don't seem them on utility jobs as much as I did growing up directional drills sure seem to have taken everything over these days.

/ Ditch Witch!
Yes it's a wisconsin twin. I'm told it's very similiar to the wisconsin vh4d V-4 engine in my bobcat. Or at least similar era.

The distributor cap and plug wires are one piece, not good since one of them has a break inside the wire. I yanked the bad one out, drilled exposing the aluminum, then used a tiny bit so I could feed a new spark plug wire in and solder it. Went to the auto store to pick up a $16 universal spark plug wire only to find out that they're not made of metal anymore. Apparently it's some carbon fiber thing in the middle of modern wires, which confuses me greatly since carbon is among the least conductive substances. So I drove all the way to tractor supply and picked up a set for a ford 8n, confirmed they were copper core, and got it together.

Next issue was the ignition. It would start, run, but when you turned the key off, it would keep running so I had to put my hand over the intake on the carb to turn it off. Someone did a hack job on the wiring and wired it all up wrong. So I cut it all out and started fresh, this time with one of my favorite modifications, remote start. A key fob controls 3 relays, one toggle for ignition, one momentary for starter, and one toggle for lights. I have it on my kubota and had a spare kit so I'm replacing the key switch with a red indicator light telling me the ignition is on.

Tomorrow I'm looking to tackle the air cleaner and see if the alternator works. Then change the oil, check all the fluids, belts, grease points, and pull the front tire which has a wobble and see if it's a bent shaft or bent wheel.

YcdSAMch.jpg