Diverter valve

/ Diverter valve #11  
On the subject of "diverter" valves: In most cases I've seen these valves being used in an install where they are swapping from one pair of input ports - to two pairs of output ports - and the diverters themselves are being used to control a grapple or something similar - so they are mounted after the FEL controls. In an install like this - there is pressure in the lines but ( I would assume) - there is typically no flow thru the lines at the time the ports are switched.

What happens if you use one of these valves in a line that has constant flow (and pressure)? Will one of these diverter valves handle that kind of setup? Should there be any sort of pressure relief to avoid pressure spikes in the system? If the diverter is mounted after the FEL valve (which has a system pressure relief) - would that be sufficient?

I've never seen any of this mentioned in any of the literature I've read on these valves.

/ Diverter valve #12  
On the subject of "diverter" valves: In most cases I've seen these valves being used in an install where they are swapping from one pair of input ports - to two pairs of output ports - and the diverters themselves are being used to control a grapple or something similar - so they are mounted after the FEL controls. In an install like this - there is pressure in the lines but ( I would assume) - there is typically no flow thru the lines at the time the ports are switched.

What happens if you use one of these valves in a line that has constant flow (and pressure)? Will one of these diverter valves handle that kind of setup? Should there be any sort of pressure relief to avoid pressure spikes in the system? If the diverter is mounted after the FEL valve (which has a system pressure relief) - would that be sufficient?

I've never seen any of this mentioned in any of the literature I've read on these valves.

Probably because these valves were not intended to be used in that manner. Not to say that they can't be, but there are other 2 solenoid type valves that are meant to be used in that fashion. ;)

/ Diverter valve #13  
You only have pressure when a hyd part is doing work.

Those valves can take the full pressure of the hyd system, momentary, or constant pressure.

In the no voltage position, the fluid is just passing through when you use the FEL lever.

You should not switch these valves under pressure.

How would you use this valve other than a diverter.

If you are just trying to switch circuits, you are doing that.

One set of ports is the default and will have flow through it with no voltage..

/ Diverter valve #14  
Maybe he wants to run a motor in one direction only? Trying to reinvent the wheel? :rolleyes:

/ Diverter valve #15  
Probably because these valves were not intended to be used in that manner. Not to say that they can't be, but there are other 2 solenoid type valves that are meant to be used in that fashion. ;)

That's what I thought - I've been searching and can't seem to find any for that application (switching under flow and pressure) - any pointers?

/ Diverter valve #17  
That's what I thought - I've been searching and can't seem to find any for that application (switching under flow and pressure) - any pointers?

Using this valve, you should be able to switch under pressure.

Surplus Center - 12 VDC 10 GPM OC MOTOR SPOOL SOLENOID VALVE

You may have to allow for the centrifugal force to slow the fluid before switching. IE, a hyd driven bush hog.

Please tell us the end project as we are just guessing how you might use a product at this stage.

/ Diverter valve #18  
What I want to be able to do - is switch or redirect the flow coming from the PB port on the FEL valve (which normally feeds the 3pt or backhoe on my tractor - depending on how it's configured) - and send it to another set of valves. Without shutting the tractor off.

All of the "diverter" valves I've looked at appear to be made to switch ports that may have residual pressure - (like from the bucket curl ports on a FEL that you're swapping to control a grapple) - but they don't appear to be able to handle active flow or pressure like you'd get from a power beyond port.

One of my worries is that the interval when the valve is switching the flow there's going to be a pressure spike - I'm wondering whether the appropriate valve to do this would have a pressure relief built in - or whether it would just rely on the pressure relief on the FEL valve block to take care of any spikes.

I wasn't intending on using the switching valve or whatever it would be called to change motor direction - although I might be running a motor after this valve ( I would use the appropriate spool valve to do control the motor).

/ Diverter valve #19  
Take a look here.

Solenoid Valves

What is it that you want to do?

Thanks.

Looking at those right now - but one thing stands out that likely makes them not the correct valve for what I want to do - since my preferred mounting location on the tractor is going to underneath the seat - where it will be exposed to weather:

NOT waterproof.

/ Diverter valve #20  
Jim, switching the PB lines just does not make sense, plumb all the valves in series and never look back. Why add a $150 diverter when all you need is a hose feeding the next valve?