Diverter valve

/ Diverter valve #21  
Jim, switching the PB lines just does not make sense, plumb all the valves in series and never look back. Why add a $150 diverter when all you need is a hose feeding the next valve?

I could do that - but the current setup goes : pump -> FEL valve block -> <backhoe if attached> -> 3 point (ends here).

All of this is physically located on the right side of the tractor..

I want to mount additional valves for added functionality - on the left side of the tractor. This means I have to run lines to do it. There really isn't much space to run the lines across the tractor to begin with - and putting everything in series would mean basically running three lines instead of two (PB to new valves, out back from new valves, and case drain for motor spool valve)

The other reason I'm thinking of diverting - is that I'd like to be able to connect implements up without having to shut the tractor down. I also want to add additional work ports to the rear of the tractor at the same time I'm doing all of the above - and by adding the valve to completely divert flow - And adding something like a Stucchi Saturn block to the rear - which has a manual pressure relief built in - it would mean I could get the ability to (example) - divert flow from front to rear , pressure relieve rear ports - hook up connections on back for implement - redirect flow back to the rear.

Plus I'd get the same ability on those additional front valves and their ports because I could simply pressure relieve the lines by toggling the spool valve controls - same as I'd do now if I'm changing out the hoe or taking the FEL off - but I can now do it with the tractor still on. And not have to use fancy connect under pressure fittings and so forth.

/ Diverter valve #22  
Then why not use something simple like this to switch between circuits. Push/pull selector valve.

Surplus Center - 3/8" NPT 20 GPM PRINCE SELECTOR VALVE

Since the fluid is always flowing in an open center hyd system, you will have low pressure until you cause the hyd components to do work.

As you pull or push the spool you are switching the flow from one circuit to another, you are reducing the flow in one circuit, and increasing the flow in another circuit, so no spike.

The FEL relief should handle any relief necessary, or you can add external relief valves anywhere.

Can you not use a 4 or 5 spool remote valve to handle all your attachments?

/ Diverter valve #23  
Then why not use something simple like this to switch between circuits. Push/pull selector valve.

Surplus Center - 3/8" NPT 20 GPM PRINCE SELECTOR VALVE

Since the fluid is always flowing in an open center hyd system, you will have low pressure until you cause the hyd components to do work.

As you pull or push the spool you are switching the flow from one circuit to another, you are reducing the flow in one circuit, and increasing the flow in another circuit, so no spike.

The FEL relief should handle any relief necessary, or you can add external relief valves anywhere.

Can you not use a 4 or 5 spool remote valve to handle all your attachments?

Thanks for the answer on the pressure spike question.

Looks like the valve you referred to would work - but I'm trying to find one that is solenoid operated. The location I would like to mount it in would be hard(er) to reach by hand - and I'd like to have a switch on the joystick to use to swap the circuits. I'll take a look and see if there's a solenoid actuated version of the valve you linked to.

/ Diverter valve #26  
Whether or not there is a pressure spike when the selector valve shifts depends on how the valve is configured. The manufacturer can design the spool so that there is an overlap between the work ports; as JJ mentioned above, as the "old" work port is closed off the "new" work port is opened up. That is done to avoid a pressure spike when shifting with the fluid flowing through the valve.

But the overlap might not be desirable if, for example, there were back pressure in an out port because it was holding a cylinder extended. If the spool had an overlap, then fluid could flow back out of port with pressure into the other work port. In that case, the spool is made with no overlap between the work ports, and until the spool shifts far enough to completely block the old work port and begin to open the new work port the pump flow is not connected to either work port; in that case the pump flow is blocked momentarily.

In most cases the manufacturer's literature does not say whether the selector valve has overlap or not. If it is important to you it might be worth a call to the manufacturer.

/ Diverter valve #27  
I believe that he wants to control supply lines, no actual hydraulics. So the overlap is actually a good thing.

What I don't quite understand is why is it so hard to just turn off the tractor? :confused: Is it rope pull start or something? :rolleyes: Just seems like a lot of work and expense just to not have to turn the tractor off. :confused3: I'm sure that I'm just not understanding the reasoning. :confused:

/ Diverter valve #28  
jim_wilson mentioned there has to be three lines, but the supply line is the important line. It is as long as it needs to be to connect parts.

The OUT and drain lines can go to the nearest port to tank.

/ Diverter valve #29  
MtnViewRanch:

If he is shifting supply lines he could use a double (supply and return) solenoid cartridge type selector valve and wire a separate switch for each solenoid so that the solenoids could be operated independently. That way he could open the "new" supply and return circuits to his new valves with one switch and then a second later close the "old" supply and return circuits to his old valves; he would have as much "overlap" during which the supply and return were connected to both working circuits as he desired, and there would never be a blockage of the supply line.

And I think this is the only way to get much relief in pressure on his quick connects. The supply and return circuit that is not "live" through the selector valve will not have an open circuit back to the tank to bleed off the pressure when he toggles the valve. But if both supply and return circuits are "live" through the selector valve, then when he toggles the directional control valve on his QD circuit all the supply can pass through the the FEL circuit without a pressure buildup since the FEL circuit is connected in parallel to the QD circuit and presumably open to flow since the FEL spools will be in neutral.

/ Diverter valve #30  
I believe that he wants to control supply lines, no actual hydraulics. So the overlap is actually a good thing.

What I don't quite understand is why is it so hard to just turn off the tractor? :confused: Is it rope pull start or something? :rolleyes: Just seems like a lot of work and expense just to not have to turn the tractor off. :confused3: I'm sure that I'm just not understanding the reasoning. :confused:

Yes - I just want to shift hydraulic flow to the supply lines - not control any downstream hydraulics with the valve. I'd be adding spool valves on those supply lines to control any hydraulics I use. So it sounds like what I really should be looking for is a valve with overlap - if I can find one. I've got the number of a Parker rep locally for some other things I'm looking into so I should probably run some of this by him and see what they have for solutions.

Ha ha - yes it's pull start and my arm is getting tired.

Maybe I'm lazy - but I think I also use the tractor differently than probably a lot of you guys do. I have a relatively small property - and I've found that I can swap out implements rather frequently to handle different jobs all in the course of a relatively short time period. I might swap out 2 or 3 or four implements in 2 hours of work. It's not vital that I have the tractor be able to be left on - it's just plain easier. I'm also not counting every single last penny - and I'd like to make the setup as simple and easy to use as possible.

I also partially consider it an engineering exercise to see if I can make it work.

The goal is to make implement swaps as near to connect and go as possible.