Mowing DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels #1  

OroKubota

Tractor
BX2380
Has anyone done DIY storage wheels for the RCK54-23BX mower deck? I'm trying to figure out how far from the end of the axel for the storage wheels should the hole for the gauge wheel clevis pin be placed on my 18" axel. (This prevents the axel from rotating.) I'm guessing not in the middle since it needs to be roughly at the center of gravity of the deck on the axel? Thanks.

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels #2  
Not sure the deck number, but the ones I made for my 60" deck on from my BX2360 are about 16" long and the hole for the pin is about 4" from the end. Nothing to scientific about it, looked right to me. The short side goes toward the bottom of the deck. I bought some plastic wheels from Surplus Center, drilled and tapped the ends of the axles for a 1/2" shoulder bolt I got from McMaster Carr. In the fall, put on the axles, pressure wash, spray with Fluid film and roll into the back of the shop.

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels
Thanks very much for the response. I'll probably put the hole for the clevis pin around 5 inches from the end since I have 18-inch axles. I'm using stem casters for wheels. It should look like this one on a JD deck. Mower Deck Caster Wheels.jpg

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels #4  
Keep in mind, with swivel casters, the load center changes as they rotate. Look at the JD deck you pictured. If you try to pull that deck away from the wall, or toward the top of the deck, the swivel will turn and the wheel will be too far under the deck. High risk of tipping it over.

Excuse the crappy picture and shoddy workmanship, but here's an example of what I mean. If I pull too hard on the top edge of my deck I risk tipping this over. I am used to it so know how to handle it. I certainly wouldn't want my casters any further under the deck. The stems of my swivel casters are 14" apart. The centers of my rigid casters are 16" apart.

20171207_105811 (1280x720).jpg

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels
Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't think about how the center of gravity could change when the casters swivel.

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels #6  
Post pics when you get yours built. Someone else may be watching this thread for ideas. :)

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels #7  
I used 18" axles too for my 72" deck. It's very stable at least on a concrete floor.
I did later add an indexing pin to the axle to keep it from rotating even the slightest amount in an effort to make the casters swivel smoothly. Used 4" casters and 10"wheels on the fixed axle. Caster mount.jpganti rotation .jpg

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels #8  
Has anyone done DIY storage wheels for the RCK54-23BX mower deck? I'm trying to figure out how far from the end of the axel for the storage wheels should the hole for the gauge wheel clevis pin be placed on my 18" axel. (This prevents the axel from rotating.) I'm guessing not in the middle since it needs to be roughly at the center of gravity of the deck on the axel? Thanks.

yes. mine are drilled at 6.5" on 18" axles and the RCK54-23BX deck is stable on them.

no casters since i wanted them to be simple and tool-less. the hard wheels skid laterally well enough when i need move it twice a year.

IMG_2660.JPG

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels #9  
I have a BX23s with 60" MMM
When i store my deck, i built steel hanging brackets on the wall of my garage. I drop the bucket off the tractor, then tilt the SSQA all the way forward, then strap the deck to the SSQA, lift the deck off the ground, tilt it completely vertical, then lift the deck up to the wall mounted brackets, unhook it, sits there until springtime. I actually gained some floor space in my garage doing it this way. If i can get some pictures of it, i`ll post them for ya guys. Hang in there, i dont have a camera right now...its broken.

/ DIY Mower Deck Storage Wheels #10  
For the 60" mmm on my B2650, I fabbed up axles that are 11" long, and drilled holes 2.5" from the end of axle to secure them.

20151115_114140.jpg20151115_131435.jpg