DIY weed wiper

/ DIY weed wiper #1  

droy

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 55, ZD1211
Just curious if anyone has ever built a 3 pt mounted, or pulled weed wiper that works, & doesn't leak, drip, etc.
Have about 9 ac of pasture, thick with different weeds but also some grass.

/ DIY weed wiper #2  
Search, Weed Wiper .

/ DIY weed wiper #3  
I have a feeling that if you can design one that is wet enough to transfer the herbicide to the plant in question, then it will drip some,

as most either use cotton rope or a cloth that wicks the herbicide mix out of the tank and siphons to the bottom of the tube/tank to make contact, with product to be wiped, yes to capillary action and the gravity it does siphons to the bottom of the wipe medium, and since it is lower it over loads and drips,

for example: take a look at this page, how to siphon water with a napkin between glasses, Christmas napkin siphon - Science Tricks - Surfing Scientist - The Lab

this here company makes a one with a sponge material, and drips the chemical on or in it, it is about the only way I would know of is to be able to control the flow to the wick medium and to have a extra absorbent material so one can get it wet enough and then not over fill it, Weed Wipers

/ DIY weed wiper #4  
Just curious if anyone has ever built a 3 pt mounted, or pulled weed wiper that works, & doesn't leak, drip, etc.
Have about 9 ac of pasture, thick with different weeds but also some grass.

Agrisupply has 5-ft wiper modules for about $100

String Wing, 5' Wick Appicator, Chemical Applicator | Agri Supply, 71934, Rope W

I have three of them that attach to the FEL on my Mahindra 5525

Weed wiper-1.JPGWeed wiper-2.JPGWeed wiper-3.JPG

Use it to apply glysophate (generic Roundup) to my 6 acre hayfield to control fiddleneck weed.
I order 2.5 gal containers of concentrate from Home Depot at $49 each. Order two of them since HD has free delivery for orders over $75.

Good luck.

/ DIY weed wiper #5  
Check and see if you can find this. Monsanto how to build pipe wick. It has plans. If you are just killing broadleaf weeds and thistles you can purchase a three point hitch sprayer that has one nozzle on the back and sprays a 20 ft. wide swath plus a handgun. Tractor Supply has two grades of 2,4D for pasture. The second being more expensive but does a good job on thistles and if you use the handgun and really wet each wild rose leaf it will kill them. Leave one branch undone and the rest will die but that one will survive.

/ DIY weed wiper #7  
I built a 10' wide wiper from parts supplied by Rodgers Sales Co., INC

It works well but slow. If you go too fast the weeds don't get a good dose. Mounted on the lip of the FEL. Couple of design changes I made was using test plugs to seal the ends and clamps to allow the wiper to be rotated while mounted. The test plugs are easy to open and rotating the wiper allows emptying the pipe into a bucket when finished.

/ DIY weed wiper #8  
I too built a wiper with Rodgers Sales Co parts. The kit has the hard to find items and you supply the pipe and glue. The finished weed wiper works great.

/ DIY weed wiper
Thanks to all for the replies, while I mentioned that my pasture has grass in it, I neglected to mention that I would like to just kill the weeds, saving the grass, which rules out a sprayer.

Forget which company makes a wiper that has sponge glued to a pipe and rotates to keep the sponge wet. Like that idea and tempted to try using PVC pipe and some canvas strapping similar to the winch straps truckers use. The canvas would be alot tougher than sponge, but not nearly as absorbent. We have a rubber and gasket store in town that handles a wide variety of materials think I'll check with them for suggestions. That just leaves figuring out the framework and mechanics that would rotate the pipe......sheesh, this DIY stuff can be a mental strain for Joe Sixpack- buying a finished product is beginning to appeal to me. lol

/ DIY weed wiper #10  
In a pasture that has both weeds and grass it can use a spayed. It's the chemicals that you use. A broadleaf weed killer will only kill the weeds not the grass unless you have a broadleaf type of grass. Using a lawn as an example I have Bermuda grass growing. I can pour a broadleaf weed killer on it directly and it won't do anything to the grass.