Oil & Fuel DK 55 Fuel Leak

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak #1  

smithdenny

Tractor
kioti dx55
Recently I have noticed a small fuel puddle on my garage floor. The tractor is a 2015 (I think) DK55. The middle and the right end of the tank and supporting bracket are wet with fuel. The leak is very slow and is not noticeable as far as fuel usage is concerned. While I will certainly keep a close eye on it, it is slow enough that I will probably will not address the problem until this winter assuming it does not worsen. I am not sure if I have a cracked/punctured tank or loose line. It appears I may have to even remove the FEL mounting bracket to inspect fully. Has anyone ever experienced such an issue or have any guidance on such a problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak #2  
I have a DK45 2008 model (I think) which I purchased new in 2010. I do not know how similar our tractors are, but I will tell you my saga anyway! (I think they are very similar)

I have had the same problem TWICE (about every 4 years). Both times the tank developed a (very) small split. Both times it was in the (nearly) exact same place, about 2 inches inboard of the fuel 'outlet' nipple, in the 'curve' that transitions from the bottom of the tank, to the 'front wall'. It is in a place that has nothing rubbing against it, or to put stress on it, the 'plastic' is VERY thick in that area, as well as many other areas (up to 1/2" thick)

The first time happened just a couple of months after the warranty expired. The parts manager volunteered to try for warranty coverage; I didn't really push it, but he said Kioti just might cover it. They didn't! To the tune of over $500 they didn't!!!

The tank is made from a plastic (HDPE, I think) that can be welded, and I was very tempted to try welding it, or find an expert to weld it, BUT (you will find) it is VERY hard to remove and replace, I have never welded plastic, and I could not find a local "expert" (that I trusted). So I decided just to go for the new tank and be done with it!! Do it once and be done, I said. I was absolutely LIVID when the new tank began leaking after very nearly the exact same time in service, then found to be leaking in the same spot!

I know everyone who has read this far is thinking there is something binding the tank, putting stress at that point. That is what I thought. I studied the tank and installation long and hard, but could not come up with a reason to explain why both tanks stared leaking in the same spot, in the same 'time in service'.

I did decide that there was no way in **** I was going to be doing this job every 4 years, and paying Kioti ransom for their shoddy tanks. I got some .050" 4130 sheet and welded up a tank made of steel! That has been a couple of years, so I guess the jury is still out whether it will last any longer; but at least I am confident that I can weld up any 'splits'.

This is quite a difficult tank to replicate; a LOT of bends, and odd shapes! The tank BARELY squeezes in and out of the tractor, so I was VERY conscious to not allow any of the dimensions to exceed the original; most were slightly smaller, but when I got through, the new tank actually holds a bit more fuel than the original.

Finally,,,, my 'second' tank started leaking at the beginning of 'hay season', and I (rightly) decided this was going to be an 'over winter' project. To get me through summer, I bolted a small piece of plywood to the right step (my tractor has a cab), then used a small ratchet strap to hold a 5 gallon gas can to the plywood 'platform'. I then drilled a hole in the 'back' of the handle that was a tight fit for a length of fuel line to be pulled through (where the vent used to be). That fuel line will need a "Tee" fitting installed so that the fuel return line can be plumbed in, then the line ran to the fuel pump inlet. The fuel filler of the can has a long flexible spout with a small 'cap' on the end. I drilled a very small 'vent' hole in that small cap. This arrangement worked remarkably well all summer! 5 gallons is plenty for my tractor to work hard all day; just needing to refuel when I came in for lunch. The (plastic) can is translucent enough so that it was easy to see how much fuel was left.

If my experience is any indication, the leak will only get worse, it is likely at the bottom of the tank, and it will continue leaking 24 hrs a day, until the fuel level drops below the split (did I mention the split is probably at the BOTTOM of the tank?)

Good luck; I do hope you have a better outcome than myself!

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak #3  
I know the HDPE tanks are put in there because they do the job and they're cheap/quick to manufacture, but I think someone could make some $$ with a good aftermarket replacement made out of steel or aluminum. I know the cost wouldn't be cheaper than what Kioti charges for the HDPE tank, but it should last longer.

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak
Wow! Thanks Kioti Paul for your reply. What a interesting and terrifying saga! I am sorry you had so much trouble with your tanks. I have not heard of anyone having such a saga, I now wonder how commonplace tank problems are?

In my case I had assume I had one tank but in fact have two tanks, one on each side of the driveline. Each tank is roughly 20" x 15" x 10" with the bottom front and rear sides protected by metal shields. Inspection without removing any shields revels there is a crossover pipe (I think metal) connecting the two tanks at the bottom sides. A flexible hose about 4" long connects each tank to the pipe. The flexible hose fuel line to the engine also seem to connect to the right tank in about the same location which is where the leak seems to be centered. So I assume I could have a cracked tank like your experience or (hopefully) a lose or failed hose. I think I can remove the right tank simply by removing the step assembly, removing the front and rear shields and possibly loosing the FEL hyd. hose mounting bracket and then sliding the tank out from under the platform disconnecting the various other hoses as I do so. (There are also at least two hoses on top of the tanks one being a crossover hose connecting the tanks, the other being external vents.)

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know where or how I can obtain assembly drawings of this system at a affordable cost so I can better understand what I am dealing with before I start disassembly? As I stated earlier I hope to put this repair off for a few months due to other commitments but that my be determined by the leakage rate.

Thanks again for your comments and thoughts.

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak #5  
I had a leak in my dk45 fuel tank about 9 years ago. Turns out some kind of rodent chewed a nasty hole in tank. You could see the teeth marks. I ordered a new tank, but while waiting for it to arrive i repaired hole with JB Weld. Then i relined the entire fuel tank with 1/4” mesh wire to protect it. Ended up with new tank still in box on shelf and patch has held for 9 years. No further damage either.

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak #6  
Wow! Thanks Kioti Paul for your reply. What a interesting and terrifying saga! I am sorry you had so much trouble with your tanks. I have not heard of anyone having such a saga, I now wonder how commonplace tank problems are?

In my case I had assume I had one tank but in fact have two tanks, one on each side of the driveline. Each tank is roughly 20" x 15" x 10" with the bottom front and rear sides protected by metal shields. Inspection without removing any shields revels there is a crossover pipe (I think metal) connecting the two tanks at the bottom sides. A flexible hose about 4" long connects each tank to the pipe. The flexible hose fuel line to the engine also seem to connect to the right tank in about the same location which is where the leak seems to be centered. So I assume I could have a cracked tank like your experience or (hopefully) a lose or failed hose. I think I can remove the right tank simply by removing the step assembly, removing the front and rear shields and possibly loosing the FEL hyd. hose mounting bracket and then sliding the tank out from under the platform disconnecting the various other hoses as I do so. (There are also at least two hoses on top of the tanks one being a crossover hose connecting the tanks, the other being external vents.)

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know where or how I can obtain assembly drawings of this system at a affordable cost so I can better understand what I am dealing with before I start disassembly? As I stated earlier I hope to put this repair off for a few months due to other commitments but that my be determined by the leakage rate.

Thanks again for your comments and thoughts.

So, after reading your description, I guess our fuel tanks are very different. I have a single tank which sits directly behind the engine. I guess my experience is of no help.

Sorry, again best of luck!

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak
So, after reading your description, I guess our fuel tanks are very different. I have a single tank which sits directly behind the engine. I guess my experience is of no help.

Sorry, again best of luck!

Our tanks may be a different design, but the problem(s) are the same! Thanks for taking the time to reply, I found your sags to be very informative and interesting! Whenever I do the repair I will update this thread.

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak
I had a leak in my dk45 fuel tank about 9 years ago. Turns out some kind of rodent chewed a nasty hole in tank. You could see the teeth marks. I ordered a new tank, but while waiting for it to arrive i repaired hole with JB Weld. Then i relined the entire fuel tank with 1/4” mesh wire to protect it. Ended up with new tank still in box on shelf and patch has held for 9 years. No further damage either.

I don't *think* my problem is rodents but it is possible. We (three adults, sometimes four) lived in our workshop for 14 months while the house was being built to the point we could move in. During that time we did have to fend off rodents. Now I have glue traps at all known entry points (each side of the overhead garage door) at all times and hopefully catch all of them as they enter. But I like your idea of wire mesh around the tank. Wire harness, wherever practical, might be a good idea too.

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak #9  
at least mine was pretty obvious what happened. rat chew 2.jpg my 8 year old temporary repair _MG_6568.JPG then the cage mesh 5.jpg. mesh 4.jpg after looking at pictures, i noticed that this happened in 2012.

/ DK 55 Fuel Leak #10