DK50SEHC glow plugs not working?

/ DK50SEHC glow plugs not working? #1  

tractorsam

Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST Cab
I just bought a new to me Kioti DK50SEHC and am trying to tidy it up a little. Currently the glow plugs do not work, when it’s cold and you turn the key on the indicator comes on for a short time, or if you turn the key past ‘on’ but before ‘start’ the indicator will come on. I found the glow plug relay on the front of the fuel tank and I have connection to the glow plugs and battery power to the relay. One of the control (small) wires to the relay is connected to ground. The mystery is that the other control wire has power when the key is on but it goes off when in the glow plug position, which seems opposite to what I would expect, otherwise I’d just replace the relay. Any thoughts? I did get a workshop manual with the machine but it is for a DK45/50 not the SE. Any reputable places where I might get the correct manual? Thanks, Sam

/ DK50SEHC glow plugs not working? #2  
Pull out the glow plugs and test to see if a direct connection to a battery makes them glow after 5 seconds. If they are dead, the control may give up.

/ DK50SEHC glow plugs not working?
Good to know, thank you. Any reason I can’t just resistance test them? Thanks, Sam

/ DK50SEHC glow plugs not working? #4  
The measured resistance sill be very low - perhaps half an ohm. The resistance in your ohmmeter leads can be that much. Put a voltmeter on one of the glow plugs with the other lead grounded. Activate the plugs and see if you get a reading and what the reading is. It should be about 10.5 volts. If you put twelve volts directly to a glow plug on the bench it will get very hot instantly - do not touch it.

/ DK50SEHC glow plugs not working? #5  
Those relays are not like there labeled in maintenance book…there reversed. I found out the hard way. Have someone verify power to relay while holding key in glow pug position.

/ DK50SEHC glow plugs not working? #6  
Not necessarily for your tractor but my mower requires a manual glow plug activation by rotating the key halfway between run and start after manually holding the key in that position for 10 to 30 seconds depending on the ambient temp., then turn the key the rest of the way to crank to start.

Not necessarily for your tractor but my mower requires a manual glow plug activation by rotating the key halfway between run and start after manually holding the key in that position for 10 to 30 seconds depending on the ambient temp., then turn the key the rest of the way to crank to start.
Thanks, the tractor automatically brings them on when you turn the key on if it’s cold. There is also a position on the key switch to manually actuate them.

Those relays are not like there labeled in maintenance book…there reversed. I found out the hard way. Have someone verify power to relay while holding key in glow pug position.
I didn’t look in the book to determine which relay it was, I just traced the wire from the glow plug buss bar back up to the relay so I’m pretty confident I have the correct one. Thanks, Sam

The measured resistance sill be very low - perhaps half an ohm. The resistance in your ohmmeter leads can be that much. Put a voltmeter on one of the glow plugs with the other lead grounded. Activate the plugs and see if you get a reading and what the reading is. It should be about 10.5 volts. If you put twelve volts directly to a glow plug on the bench it will get very hot instantly - do not touch it.
Using my multimeter I got 0v at the glow plugs. That lead me to the relay. I’m just trying to figure out why it seems to be trying to power up the relay when the key is on but not in glow and taking the power away when the is in the glow position. Thanks, Sam

/ DK50SEHC glow plugs not working? #10  
I believe thats controlled by the tractors computer box. I forget what the actual name of the unit is. I had mine replaced during warranty for some issues when tractor was brand new. I think it was called the display unit

edit: i did a search. Apparent kioti uses a glow plug timer relay. Not sure where its located. I have a 2010 model dk45 cab maintenance manual in the shop. Ill see if i can find out more about it.

Last edited: