DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency**

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #1  

Kwehme09

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5310
Kioti DK5310se HST won't start. Tractor is hooked to livestock trailer in remote field, and I need to move the animals home tonight.

Turn the key, hear a click, but nothing else. Battery is good. PTO off, seat switch ok, in neutral.

If I jump two big post on solenoid, the starter spins but doesn't engage the fly wheel. Everyone in awhile it will make the fly wheel flinch, but that's it. The starter spins good whenever I jumper it though. Not sure why this is.

I need to get this thing started, any ideas?

I feel lime its a safety switch issue somewhere, but no sure how to override.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #2  
If it is clicking I would think it is not a safety switch. The fact that starter spun but did not engage makes me think a bad connection or the battery is in fact at low voltage. Try using jumper cables from another vehicle if possible. Also check and clean cable connection both at the battery and grounds at the frame.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency**
Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried jumping from both a battery pack and another vehicle.

The click is not at the starter, I think it's just at a full shutoff or something. Even if both the start relay and fuse are out I get the same click. I've also tried replacing both the start fuse and relay. Battery terminals are clean. The tractor is only 6 months old.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #4  
Sounds like starter pinion is not advancing into flywheel teeth. Some pinions are advanced by soleniod, others by a spiral on the starter motor shaft. Mat need some grease on motor shaft. Unfortunately it means pulling the starter. Is starter direct drive, or gear reduction?

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency**
Sounds like starter pinion is not advancing into flywheel teeth. Some pinions are advanced by soleniod, others by a spiral on the starter motor shaft. Mat need some grease on motor shaft. Unfortunately it means pulling the starter. Is starter direct drive, or gear reduction?

Why wouldn't this be happening when I turn the key? This is only happening when I jump to solenoid.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #6  
Maybe try jumper cables straight to the starter.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #7  
Missed that you were jumping starter and bypassing solenoid. I thought you meant you were hot wiring the solenoid coil.

In your case it sounds like the solenoid is what engages the pinion to the flywheel. If solenoid is bypassed, starter motor will run, but not engage.

Have you tried running a wire from solenoid coil direct to the battery side of the solenoid contacts. If solenoid doesn't pull in, theres your issue. Check resistance of solenoid terminal to ground.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #8  
My first suspect would be bad grounds wherever large current has to pass.
Maybe battery terminals also.

Try negative jumper to engine and positive directly to starter terminal.
and that should by pass a lot of 'maybe's'.

You seem to have covered most other usual deterrents.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #9  
Without being able to see your starter and solenoid it is hard to describe the right way to bypass everything.
If the solenoid is mounted on the starter with the main battery cable coming to one large connector and a smaller wire attached to the same terminal,
then a second smaller wire and terminal on the solenoid, with another connection going to or into the starter.
The safer way is to use a push button remote starter, this is a tool with two wires and alligator clips,
one alligator clip will go to the terminal on the solenoid that has the battery cable coming to it.
The other alligator clip would attach to the smaller terminal of the solenoid that has lighter gauge wire coming to it from the wiring harness.
When the button pushed the engine should crank over, and with the key in the run position it would hopefully start.
Those are also the two terminals to jump to try and start with a screwdriver or pair of pliers,
the lager terminal with the battery cable and the smaller one on the solenoid.
Good luck

Also a good idea to put your range lever in neutral while doing this.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #10  
Do you have a voltmeter and do you know how to use it? Do you have a layout of the starter relay and how it is wired (wire colors) and have you taken any measurements of the contacts on the starter relay? NOT talking about the starter solenoid here, I am talking about the starter relay. I don't have a schematic for you tractor, so I cannot give you wire colors or even location of the starter relay. Mine is on my firewall on the engine side.