DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency**

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #51  
VICTORY! 100% Fixed.

So today I jumper the solenoid correctly and got the fly wheel to crank. No luck. I even managed to turn the key at the same time, no luck. My dealer was convinced it was the safety control module (located on fire wall behind dash) and they happened to have one on the shelf. I swapped that out, no luck. I checked my grounds, no luck. I disconnected and cleaned all my battery and ground connections even though I knew it wasn't the problem (the tractor is like new). No luck.

The dealer wanted me to bring it in, but I knew that the effort of moving the tractor there would be silly because I KNEW it was something stupid.I finally started just ranting at the dealers technician once I was finally able to get them to put him on the phone. I mentioned that my trip down the road was the first time plugging the trailer into the factory installed trailer plug on the tractor. I said I even disconnected the trailer plug receptacle from its wires incase that was shorting out. That set off a light bulb in his head (no pun intended). He told me to check if my brakes lights worked. They did not!!!! Checked the 10A stop light fuse, and it was blown, presumably by an issue with the trailer. Swapped that out and it fired right up.

Note to Kioti DK owners: Your tractor relies on the brake lights actually lighting up for the brake safety to function properly. No brake lights, no startup. I've never been so angry and so happy at the same time.

I realize this is an old thread, but figured I'd add a recent encounter with the same issue. Long story short, the tractor won't start with a blown Brake light 10 amp fuse.

My 2022 DK5310SE (Cab model w/ 75ish hours) wouldn't start this AM. All the safeties were engaged, brakes set, in Neutral with N light on dash, PTO disengaged, seat safety switch working, had power, wouldn't start, no clicking, etc.

Got out the jump box, no help, got out the meter, battery was fine, checked the fuse box for the starter fuse, that was good, but until I started checking online, I didn't check any other fuses.

Upon checking the internet for possible issues, I found this thread and figured it was worth a shot. Sure enough, my brake light 10amp fuse was blown.
20230612_162621.jpg

Popped in a new one and she started right up. Unsure what caused it to blow; We did get some heavy rain over the past 2 days, but no condensation in the brake lights or any wiring issues I can see, so no idea yet.

The running lights were working, so obviously the brake lights are on that separate 10Amp circuit ... Will see if it blows again

Thanks to this thread, I got back to work within an hour! Y'all are great, I really appreciate the info on TBN!

Brgds,
Greg

Last edited:
   / DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #53  
I've been following this Post. Thanks for the update. Always good to hear that something got fixed and what the fix was.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #54  
Well, OK so replacing a blown "brake light fuse" made it so he could start the machine again. Great tip for owner of that model to know. HOWEVER, what it really says is that calling it a "brake light fuse" is a total misnomer. It is really way more than just a brake light fuse and has to have a solenoid line or some other starting related device/component in that circuit beside the light. Great tip but what owners should want to know is "What item related to starting is in that circuit fed by that fuse?"

And on further thought what kind of sense does it make that they designed and engineered a machine which would be disabled for starting by shorting out a brake light !!?? Is that some bizarre fiendish form of safety feature ??

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #55  
Well, OK so replacing a blown "brake light fuse" made it so he could start the machine again. Great tip for owner of that model to know. HOWEVER, what it really says is that calling it a "brake light fuse" is a total misnomer. It is really way more than just a brake light fuse and has to have a solenoid line or some other starting related device/component in that circuit beside the light. Great tip but what owners should want to know is "What item related to starting is in that circuit fed by that fuse?"

And on further thought what kind of sense does it make that they designed and engineered a machine which would be disabled for starting by shorting out a brake light !!?? Is that some bizarre fiendish form of safety feature ??
Agreed, it's bizarre that Kioti would use the brake light circuit as part of the safety system to ensure that the brakes are engaged before starting .... you would think it would just be a contact switch on the brake pedal, or perhaps it is some sort of redundancy ... ??

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #56  
Pretty sure Audi (?) did the same thing in the '90s. Brake light out, car wouldn't start. Something like that.

/ DK5310se HST Won't Start **Emergency** #57  
Pretty sure Audi (?) did the same thing in the '90s. Brake light out, car wouldn't start. Something like that.
If so they deserve to sell no cars. This is nonsense.