DK90 shopping

/ DK90 shopping #21  
No drama Holeycow, I've got caught in things lately too, including a few staff "career" changes around our farms.

I'm being ultra-critical about the gearbox whine, more probably a "characteristic" of the tractor than any inherent fault - the shifting is positive (& improved with oil changes), but not as precise as say some European tractor boxes ( the comparative is like changing gears in a Hyundai car vs a BMW, nothing wrong with the strength/durability of the Hyundai but it sure isn't a drivers car like a BMW, & my money is on the Hyundai outlasting the BMW).

I remain of the firm view the Kioti is a good value utility machine which does everything pretty well across a range of tasks, so yes we're satisfied & will be buying more as the "jack of all trades" workhorses.

IMO watch is the predelivery from the Dealer, ours was not as good as it should have been (nothing substantial just minor things/attention to detail like the battery wasn't fully charged prior to delivery, a blown light globe, dealer quick hitch fitment welding a little sloppy ..etc), I get the impresssion the dealer margin is being squeezed too on these machines.

Good luck

/ DK90 shopping
Hey MBTRAC I was watching for you this time :)

I talked to the dealer today. The tractor will be in and ready to go in the first week of May. Woo Hoo! I am pretty sure I'll take the tractor (I still haven't seen one in the tin), especially after your excellent unbiased review MBTRAC. I talked to him briefly about set-up.....like "you guys install the loader at your shop, yes?" ; "do you loctite the loader frame bolts and the loader pin keeper bolts?" "Do you use a torque wrench?", etc. etc. He said yes to the torque wrench, and said that they would loctite the loader bolts. I'll probably do it again anyway (definately I'll check most of the bolts I can find),as well as grease all the electric connectors I can find and whatever else I think of (at least until I get an idea what the factory and dealer prep has covered). One little thing that made me get serious with this dealer was that all his machinery on the lot was actually greased (albeit with cheap grease). I saw many machines that were not on other lots. I also told him to set the wheels as wide as possible. As far as I know, these tractors can't be set very wide with stock wheels. I am a little worried about that, as I don't want to be running over swaths and I want a stable stance for loader work on slopes. Sometimes (when we actually get timely rains), I get a really heavy swath that even a big(ger) tractor has trouble straddling.

I'll let you's know how I make out when/if I get it home. I don't know when that will be, as we'll be watching calving really hard right about when the tractor will be ready to pick up. Still waiting for the first one....... There's still so much snow that I am unable to get the cows spread out much yet. They are reasonably spread out of course, but not enough for calving, really. This could be a problem for the heifers (get confused).

Any tips for set-up checks? You could probably do a really good general check list when you get a minute MBTRAC. Many could benefit from it, I'm sure.

When do you do your first fluid changes? I thought 20-30hrs for the engine, 50hrs for transmission, or what? And here's a good question, LOL, what lubricants do you recommend? I get the distinct impression that you are "all over" these kinds of important details....

Thanks a lot for your help!

/ DK90 shopping #23  
Around 5.30pm over here & spent today catching up in the "office " & running this site in the background, I'd much rather be out working on our farms than dealing with the "paperwork".....hmmm.

Sounds like you've found a half decent dealer, at least he knows what a torque wrench & grease gun are, & even better uses them :thumbsup - Some years ago we had a new airseeder for that failed (due to poor assembly/abuse of a rattle gun) 2 days post delivery & cost us a weeks downtime in the middle of sowing season, so I walked into this local machinery dealer who supplied/assembled & presented the owner a parting gift of a suitably engraved torque wrench commemorating our last ever equipment purchase from him......I can still recall the guy's jaw hitting the floor....

I'll see what I can come up with as a checklist in consultation with our workshop/field techs, I'm more a "bush mechanic" & whilst I try to keep my "finger on the pulse" of every $ we spend our farms our run more along corporate lines which doesn't allow always the day to day insights I'd like - And I don't spend much seat time in our sub 250hp tractors nowadays.

As for oils/lubricants we (close to) exclusively use premium Castrol products across all our equipment - IMO exact comparatives probably aren't possible with our differing extremes of operating/ambient temps, your local Castrol rep should be able to assisy.

As for oil changes I'm completely "over the top" & our maintenance guys reckon I'm "unique" (there's sure a few other terms they use indirectly) - I insist on engine & gearbox oil being dumped on new equipment (be it tractors, trucks, vehicles, combines, earthmoving gear or little 5hp pumps at max. 10hrs (& if the machinery is valued at more than AUD$10K the oil analysed).
To me it's cheap insurance, but our operations are likely unqiue too as they also filter & run this 10hr old oil (if the 10hr oil sampling is clean) as lubricant in our older equipment & ultimately all our waste oil is filtered/blended with diesel to run as an exclusive fuel mix in some even older gear we keep to for ongoing viability/resue of our waste oil ( we currently/have run- don't laugh- 2x ancient c.150hp Belarus + other old equipment dedicated to run on our waste oil cocktail) - from then on oil changes are next at manufacturers recommendations to a max of 100hrs, then as per manufacturers recommendations or less (depending on ambient temps/equipment work tasks)

I also went through my notes when were researching higher houred Kioti/Daedongs (they've been sold under both brands here) & for what it's worth one was a non cab DK90 12speed sold new in 2001 @ c.4500hrs my notes indicate the owner had replaced 1x clutch (IMO not unexpected in a row crop vegetable farm application) & was really happy with the tractor as it according to him still ran "as good as new".

Last edited:
   / DK90 shopping
"As for oil changes I'm completely "over the top" & our maintenance guys reckon I'm "unique" (there's sure a few other terms they use indirectly) "

This made me laugh.......

the Belarus thing, not so much.

That brand hit the ground running hard here almost 20 years ago. Many/most of them floundered very quickly, some of them are still high hour, running workhorses. Maintenance combined with just a little luck, I think. I think they are just a little "misunderstood"....... maybe. I ran a 95hp one a long time ago, and it seemed like a decent unit at the time.

ps, I hope that dealership learned a lesson about torqueing critical fasteners.......It's sad that "mechanics" have been replaced by "techs". If I were in that line, I would strive to be a "mechanic" not a "tech". Sadly, most of the good mechanics have passed on and have been replaced by "techs". Oh, and service people have been replaced by "service advisors"......whatever TH that is. When you find a good mechanic, they are gold.

Technology does allow people from around the world to converse though. Which is pretty cool in itself.

Have a good day.

Last edited:
   / DK90 shopping
well, I finally got the DK a handfull of days ago.

MBTracs evaluation is very, very accurate. All of it. every word. Thank you very much for that MB.

Other than I haven't tested the lights yet, as our daylight is from about 4:30am to about 11:00pm at this point.......and that is probably long enough to stay awake anyway.

The tractor starts good, runs smooth, steers nicely and generally feels pretty good to drive all-around. It is a little bouncy with the short wheelbase and no fluid in the tires. Rear wheel traction seems a little low. I'll have to play with pressures and maybe have to add fluid. We'll see.

The transmission is STIFF. This is the notchiest tranny I have ever run by far. I only have 9hrs on it at this point and it has improved quite a bit since day one but it still has a long way to go. We'll see. It is sometimes a real bugger to shift, especially the transfer case, next bad is the fwd/rev, then the main shifter. I sure hope it smooths out a lot. At this point it really slows the process down at times.

The cab is nice and big. The controls are decently placed and all switches/knobs/pedals seem to operate nicely. The clutch pedal has taken a little getting used to (real nice clutch feel, BTW). I have to hold my foot at the right angle and position or my boot gets caught up a little on the pedal/under the dash. Today was the first time I never had a glitch on that one, so I'm getting it.

I took a chance on this unit. The jury is still out. I'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks and I'll post a little more then.

The only thing I don't like so far is the transmission. I am pretty sure that will improve. I will try to continue to be patient with it...

Oh, I won't be engaging 4wd while reversing and turning slightly anymore. I did it twice, and both times it "clunked" into 4wd. Engagement is seamless when going straight forward. As I said, rear traction seems a little low, so you pretty much have to run in 4wd a lot (or put up with spinning all over the place). In 4wd the traction seems really good. I do have to lower the tire pressure from 20psi to something else. This may make a big difference.

I was carrying full buckets of sand around today for a while. The loader handled that no problem, although as MBTrac said, the breakout force is low. I probably would not have been able to break my twine-wrapped bales free of the ground with it late this winter, as my bigger loader tractor had trouble at times.

I think this will be a very satisfactory unit as long as the shifting action improves considerably.

I'll know a lot more by the end of haying....

/ DK90 shopping #26  
Holeycow, I know my dk35se is a lot different. But I can relate to the shuttle shift being notchy everyone who drives it has a problem with it. The 4- speed is great tho. I would recommend that you stop every time you shift into 4wd just to be safe. I enjoy reading your post as I too was interested in the dk90. I am really liking the case ih farmall line-up. I don't like where the the rear remote levers are tho. Kioti has them where they should be.

/ DK90 shopping
Well. I finally started haying a few days ago.

I'm running a NH488 haybine. The tractor handles this little cutter effortlessly, as it should. I had the tires filled with calcium. This is absolutely necessary to make this tractor feel "planted". The vibration of the haybine transmits through this tractor much more than it does with my larger Deutz. Not annoying, just an observation.

The first thing I did when I got the tractor home was I greased the airfilter sealing surface. I'm glad I did, as when I checked it yesterday a tiny bit of dirt had bypassed the seal and was caught by the grease. The airbox has the holding flange for the secondary filter. I have two secondary filters on hold at the "local" Perkins distributor (1 1/2 hrs away). I greased the seal heavily on re-installation and will be more comfortable once I get the additional filter. I would strongly recommend this additional filter for this engine.

The gearbox is slowly freeing up. It may shift really nicely yet. At only 54 hours of too-light use, the tranny has not been working very hard.

I changed the engine oil at 31 hours. It looked clean and normal. I bought a couple of Wix oil filters using the Wix site for reference and the filter they list for the DK90 is wrong. I have to return them. So I did not change the oil filter. I now have proper oil filters from Perkins and will change it soon. I changed the front end fluids at 42 hours. It was normal, showing tiny shiny flecs in the sun. I used the Shell Donax transmission/hydraulic fluid. I was flip/flopping from gear oil to this fluid in my brain and finally just used the Donax. It smells distinctly like gear oil and seems exactly the same as the factory fluid.

The fluid quantity for the engine is listed as 10.5 litres. This must be with a dry engine, as it only takes a little over 8 litres (I removed, drained, and re-installed the stock filter for now).

The front end quantities are a little closer, but still not exact; 6 litres in the diff to weep hole (book says 5.5). 3.1 litres came out of each front gearcase; I put 3.1 back in (book says 3.5, sticker in tractor cab says 2 litres). Minor details, but it was a bit of a pain to dump 10 litres in the engine and then remove 2 to get the level correct. It seems that the quantities of fluid listed in the "manual" (using the term loosely) are from-dry fills, not replacements from wet levels. No biggy.

The operator's manual is poor. Very little information and many minor discrepencies. I have the parts manual and the shop manual sitting at a bus station about an hour away and will get it soon. I should have had them already, but I left the dealership with a DX100 parts manual. Not sure how that got into the country, as that tractor model is not even available here. I also left the dealership with a service manual which turned out to be only the supplement for the tier III engine and a couple of other pages. I should be straightened out on this stuff right away.

I did a little baling with my NH853 baler the other day before I got rained out after about 80 bales. This is a nice tractor for baling. It steers beautifully and handles the baler effortlessly, as it should.

IMO, Kioti has made a major oversight in gearing on this tractor. There is no overlap between ranges, so when operating PTO equipment there are not enough speed choices available. I can go 3.5mph (too slow) or 5.2mph (too fast). I want to go about 4.75mph with my gear in my fields most of the time. There should be gearing choices in the "working gears" in about 0.5mph increments, not 1.5mph increments. This could be a deal breaker for many. Maybe even me if I knew the gearing right from the get-go. I may have immediately dismissed the tractor as an option before I did much more research.......Anyway, it is what it is, so I can go a little too slow or a little too fast. I have only 2 working gears: medium 1st and medium second. Low 4th should fit between there and High 1st should finish out the top, IMO.

The gearing would probably be fine for many applications not running the PTO by adjusting speed with the throttle....

Medium second has a slightly annoying gear whine/resonance/howl right at working speed/high load (full baler climbing a grade, for example). Probably nothing, probably will quiet down as it breaks in.

Otherwise I am pretty impressed by this machine overall.

The optional 3rd hydraulic lever came with the old style knob and looks stupid next to the other 2 newer style hydraulic knobs. A new knob is in the package with my manuals at the bus station.

I noticed a tiny, tiny coolant leak from behind the water pump at the 31 hour oil change (loss of about 1/3 litre of fluid since new). My dealer is 6 hours away. Luckily one of western Canada's major Perkins engine distributors is only 1 1/2 hours away. Yesterday a very experienced mechanic came out and replaced the water pump. There was nothing wrong with the original pump, but the tiny leak had made a mess of the sealing surface, so the mechanic just replaced the unit. This detail does not dissuade me, as anything is possible with new machinery. I think I will know what I have next year at around 1000hrs.

Anyway, I am finally actually using the tractor for what I bought it for. I will be putting a few hundred hours on it in the next little while. I am pretty used to it now. It has turned out to "fit" me pretty good ergonomically. It continues to get smoother and smoother. I will try to work around the limited gear selection, which is the only glaring fault I have found with the unit do date.

Everthing MBTrac said in his evaluation is spot-on. Read his report carefully if you are considering one of these tractors. I have only added the limited gear selection to his list.

I also added a report of a very satisfactory warranty claim experience.

Oh, and the young fellow who put fluid in the tires said "this is the nicest little tractor I have ever seen and I would buy one if I was in the market". He does tire work all around here on many brands. Many brands being Deere, CNH, Kubota, etc. "Nicest little tractor" is obviously not the case, but it's a FWIW. And it shows that this unit does not look cheap. The local retired old timer came out in the field to have a look at it the other day while I was cutting and was impressed with it. He's a John Deere guy thru and thru.

If this machine is as good on the inside as it looks on the outside then it is the best value in this size tractor, bar none. We'll see.

More later.

PS, I adjusted the drawbar to fit my gear and the drawbar pin keeper bolt was barely snug from the factory! I'm sure it would have eventually worked its way out. Not anymore.

/ DK90 shopping #28  
Well. I finally started haying a few days ago.

Great info, thanks. Whereabouts are you located and where is that closest dealer you mentioned? 6 hours from 'northern alberta' could be down south of Edmonton somewhere?

/ DK90 shopping #29  
IMO, Kioti has made a major oversight in gearing on this tractor. There is no overlap between ranges, so when operating PTO equipment there are not enough speed choices available. I can go 3.5mph (too slow) or 5.2mph (too fast). I want to go about 4.75mph with my gear in my fields most of the time. There should be gearing choices in the "working gears" in about 0.5mph increments, not 1.5mph increments. This could be a deal breaker for many. Maybe even me if I knew the gearing right from the get-go. I may have immediately dismissed the tractor as an option before I did much more research.......Anyway, it is what it is, so I can go a little too slow or a little too fast. I have only 2 working gears: medium 1st and medium second. Low 4th should fit between there and High 1st should finish out the top, IMO.

You are right on the money with this statement, it was a deal breaker for me.

I had a DK35 Cab Kioti and a dealer that I really liked and had every intention of sticking with them when I upgraded this Spring. I ended up going with the LS 7030 CPS because of the Power Shuttle and 40F/20R speeds. Same HP, saved some cash and it already came with three remotes. I REALLY wanted to buy the Kioti but for me it just wasn't right for just those reasons you said.

Great write up and very valuable for those looking at this tractor.

Dave

/ DK90 shopping
Great info, thanks. Whereabouts are you located and where is that closest dealer you mentioned? 6 hours from 'northern alberta' could be down south of Edmonton somewhere?

They are in Spruce Grove, just west of Edmonton. Good people.