Do I need a general contractor to build a house?

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #161  
Even with a great GC for our church building build, I still caught wrong insulation on an exterior wall. You definitely have to be on top of things either way.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #162  
Even with a great GC for our church building build, I still caught wrong insulation on an exterior wall. You definitely have to be on top of things either way.
Good thing you were watching!

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #163  
I gotta buddy. He is a gearhead, handyman extraordinare, jack of many trades. Some years back, he bought a chunk of ground, took his out of state architect friend plans and decided to have a go of it. Five thousand feet, two story place. He acted as his own GC and hired all the subs...........Ten years later he started repairing stuff. Repeat, repairing stuff, all to what his satisfaction was.

A few years later, after defects up the wazoo, that he fixed, he sold it. The new buyer did a small addition and found 'significant defects'. New buyer sued the ship out of my buddy to the tune of 275k, and won easily. The point is, you gotta be a DETAIL driven individual. I wouldn't buy anything used from my bud, though I love him dearly. And he is a good fixer, not a master.

I've got a real old place, over the last forty years we have hired out some major projects. I even worked on a couple with some buds who were pretty good, but not the best. The projects that we had done by the Best are the Best. I gotta lot of respect for those much handier than myself construction & remodeling, but if I want the best, I look for the best and let them have at 'er.
Can anyone give any advice to a first time builder — wanting to take on task of being the general contractor. Is it plausible? Any idea of cost saving?

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #164  
We had the same GC that built the spec home we bought in 2006 for our custom house we built in 2009. He did it for cost plus 12%. He had the best subs in the area pretty well locked up for his projects. I hired a plans designer for the blueprints, took us 3 months to get what we wanted. I worked with each sub on options and price. In the end I saved over $25,000 from the initial $350,000 estimate for the house and came out with a better product. Not having to manage schedules, material deliveries, and payments to subs was great.

Still, I was at the jobsite almost every day, which was tough having a full-time day job. The GC was over the house build but I was the GC for the stables we built. Morton built the building and did the concrete, but I contracted the site work, plumbing, electrical, and cabinets out to subs of my choosing. Fortunately I was able to use most of the same subs that did the house, except for plumbing.

100_0838.JPG

100_0808.JPG

100_0779.JPG

100_0962.JPG

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #165  
Just because you Can, doesn't mean that you Should.

If this is a Bucket List kinda thing, then by all means, Do It, be your own GC, because you will be paying attention, and you won't ever regret the accomplishment of knowing that you achieved that goal. Even better if you know people in the Construction trades, because they are a wealth on information and experience.

It would not be in my best interest to be a GC on a build that I would do. That said, I know nothing about the construction trade(s), other than general concepts. I am a very detail oriented guy, ... fine print, legal documents, contracts, financial numbers, administration, coordinating/leading meetings - that kind of stuff. (I will still go to a lawyer to prepare a will though).

However, I don't have the experience, time, knowledge, patience, skill set, or even connections with the trades OR suppliers, to take such a feat at this point in my life. That is why (for me) a GC would earn their keep. I could probably manage coordinating a small reno however. I did that much several years ago, when we split the house in half, and created a basement suite. The builder on that occasion was a good friend, he set things up and singlehandedly did most of the physical work, and I basically assisted by being available as supplies and trades people arrived. That still required a huge amount of my time. I was the clean up crew.

I am planning a small barn build (30 ft x 40 ft), but that will need a GC. That way, I can stick with tinkering on the cars, equipment, workshop :) ...

All The Best with your build. Exciting Times

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #166  
My lovely wife and I have built 2 homes, we were the GC for both of them. What we could not do, we hired out and watched that everything was done to code.
The first house a GC quoted us a fair price, but all the materials were low grade. We decided to do it ourselves and we found out that we could buy the best materials with my contractors license and be money ahead, so we built it.

By the time we did the 2nd house, it was a lot easier since we had been down that path before.

It did help that my business was at home already in a large shop out back so that I could be there and keep an eye on things.

Its also hard to be your own general if you borrow the money from a bank cause they are always on top looking down and there are time lines to get things moving quickly.
We took our sweet time, a year and a half, and God just worked everything out in the end.

If you take out a contractors license, you can buy materials at a nice discount, and not hard to do.
I was a licensed contractor but not a builder of houses.

We are building a 40 x 120' building at the moment for storage of farm items, I will start a new thread on it when all the pictures are ready.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #167  
I can afford it but I will also be twiddling my thumbs watching others do the work if I hire this out.

Hoping others here can give some advice.
My advice: Ask a price to build the house casco: Wind and water tight, then you can finish the rest.

The contractor is responsible for the structural things such as, that the building is footed on solid ground (my sisters house they had to dig to 6 feet to find solid sand, because they hit an old creek bed full of sediment, which remains spongy forever)

Also, i think youre getting in over your head if you do it alone. My other sisters house was built by her father in law who retired early. He was a construction worker and oversaw hired bricklayers, and for concrete pouring all lads from two families showed up. Scaffolding and goods lift were borrowed from her father in laws former employer, and they could just drive there a few miles to pick up some materials when they were stopped by some missing 2 by 4's

Would you purchase all the equipment such as forms, scaffolding, goods lift, boom crane, for this job, or rent it ?

I think its going to take you so long on your own that its becoming a pain in the ass to you. If you hire a construction company to do the concrete work and exterior walls, you can do the inside, plumbing, stair, and electric at your own pace while seeing progress every day, without needing all the special equipment. Plus you can work irrespective of weather, under roof, and leave your tools behind locked doors when youre not there. Just lock the door and walk away, come back when you feel like it.

Maybe you feel confident enough about your ability to bear final responsibility for a construction project, but even then, i would farm out sections to speed up the project and avoid having to rent or buy special equipment.

My father built his own pig barns, first he hired a contractor to do the job and watch and learn, later he masoned the manure pits and poured the floors, and then let masons do the visible brick walls on an hourly basis, he would supply stones to the scaffolds before milking, and mix cement after milking, so that the masons were ready to hit the ground running when they arrived at 7:30
But he had aquired basic knowledge of construction by watching the contractor work, and ask questions, the first barn he had built.

10 years ago one barn was demolished. The contractor hired another 20 ton excavator because he wanted to spare his new to him, 2 year old excavator. The contractors father asked which contractor had built those slurry pits, because a 14 ton excavator could hardly break the near granite blue concrete slab of just 4 1/2 inch and a single 1/4" welded rebar web. With the 20 ton excavator they pulled slabs out of the ground the size of a dumptruck, they had to drop it on another piece of concrete to size it down to fit in the dumptruck. Well, pops built that. He threw an extra shovel of cement in the mixer, and watered it three times a day to maximise curing, for a week, because he said youve got only one chance to do it right.

Last edited:
   / Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #168  
Can anyone give any advice to a first time builder — wanting to take on task of being the general contractor. Is it plausible? Any idea of cost saving?

If you have to ask the TBN community if you can, you cant.

You dont get the discounts a contractor gets at the wholesalers, youre going to make costly mistakes, such as pouring concrete floors first and find out you forgot some plumbing or conduit that had to be cast in, and the such. Once done, you can be a general contractor by the valuable lessons learned, but the money saved you will spend as learning fee by mistakes.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #169  
If I read your original post correctly, this is the first build ever for you. Unless you're one helluva handyman, I'd suggest not doing it on the first, or even the 2nd build. You not only need to be very detailed, but you also need to think 2-3 subs ahead, and know what they need from the current sub, for them to do a good job, when they get there.

In my neck of the woods, you won't find a sub willing to work with a newbie "one and done" builder (yourself). At least not any good subs. You'll always be at the bottom of the priority list for the subs you do get, because they are beholden to the GC's that give them constant business.

I've built the last 7 homes as the GC. And even on the last one, I hired a GC to get it weather tight. Foundation, framing, windows, roof. I paid him a flat fee to get it that far, and I took it over from there. I bought the materials, he supplied the subs. Worked out well.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #170  
The house we built here - a double wall PanAbode. 100% Western Red cedar - out of Redmon, WA. EXACTLY like assembling a Lincoln log structure - only is double walled. Foil backed urethane insulation fills the four inch space between the walls. Exposed beam throughout the house with four inches of foil backed insulation under the shingles on the roof.

We ( myself, wife & son ) did everything except the foundation and carpeting in the living room. Took us five months.

That was 1982 - when we came down from Alaska. House has require no repairs in those 42 years.

The house isn't that big - 1600 sq ft - just right for our retirement.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT