Do I need a tractor?

/ Do I need a tractor? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was looking (drooling?) over the L3130 and TC33D )</font>

I think you're looking in the right direction, my personal opinion of course.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I need to worry about the tractor & implements crushing my septic system in one of the side fields? )</font>

Couldn't say for sure without knowing how it was constructed, how deep, etc., but probably not.

/ Do I need a tractor? #13  
The short answer is, "Yes, you do."

You probably need a compact tractor (as opposed to a sub-compact like the Kubota BX series). If you're not sure what to buy, why don't you consider renting something in the 25-35 HP range with a FEL and a five or six foot brush hog for a weekend? You can do some mowing in different fields, used the FEL for some other chores and, in general, just see what you think.

If you want to go smaller than what you rented (fat chance /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), you haven't invested $20,000 on something you don't need. If you want to go bigger, the same thing applies. If you decide what you rented is just about what you need in terms of size and utility then you can start the process of shopping for one to buy for yourself.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Do I need a tractor? #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I need a tractor? )</font>
Oh My God !! What a question !!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Thats like asking if a Bear S**t's in the woods. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Of course you need a tractor, even if it's just to cruise that beautiful land you bought. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Your also going to need implements, Lots of implements.
Loader and Mowers and Rakes, Oh My !!
Loader and Mowers and Rakes, Oh My !!
Jlemon,
Welcome to the TBN. You have come to the right place for answers.You have also already received alot of good advice that I can't improve on, So I thought I would just throw in some good natured ribbing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Do I need a tractor? #15  
Wow, very pretty place you've got there. Don't forget one of the most important aspects of tractor ownership... the pleasure of it all. A lot of people NEED a tractor/DEPEND on a tractor etc. but one of the reasons this forum is so popular is because so many of us ENJOY our tractors, and the things we do with them. In that regard, and given your property, if it was me I'd be looking at a pretty good sized CUT to MAXIMIZE the enjoyment /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Do I need a tractor? #16  
Absolutely no doubt about it....you need a tractor!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oh boy, do you need a tractor. Your place is expansive enough for you to get the largest tractor you can reasonably afford. You will not regret it. Please don't forget a FEL. It will go a long way in clearing that concrete and thistle.

Ken

/ Do I need a tractor? #17  
<font color="blue"> If you're not sure what to buy, why don't you consider renting something in the 25-35 HP range with a FEL and a five or six foot brush hog for a weekend? You can do some mowing in different fields, used the FEL for some other chores and, in general, just see what you think.
</font>

Now this is excellent advice. It'll cost you a couple hundred bucks a day, but that is 8 hours of tractor time. If you plan it right over a weekend you can spread those hours out over two days (Sunday is a freebie, but watch that hour meter /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif). If you really want to do some research (which is a good idea for such a pricey purchase), try renting a couple of different brands if you can.

The other thing you might be able to do, if you can find the right dealer, is to get a loaner. Some of them will do that if they think they can get a sale out of it. Worth a shot, at least.

What a beautiful place! I want your big red barn! If you ever get tired of it, please let me know and I'll send you my address /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Oh, and with the dimensions of your doors, pretty much any tractor you'd be looking at will fit through them (although for the 8' door you might want to make sure you get a foldable ROPS [roll bar]).

Wow, you are going to have a great time there. Get yourself a nice, good sized tractor. I know they're expensive, but I'm sure that you won't regret it. Plus, they hold their value like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't be surprised if I could sell my 6 year old tractor for darn near what I paid for it (but no, I need it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

/ Do I need a tractor? #18  
I have nearly the same property as you, except with lots more snow. Anyhow, the missing ingredient in this discussion has been budget, and how you plan to finance these toys (cash, loans etc) the reason I mention this is because it makes a difference in regards to your flexibility. Most folks dont have much cash, so you end up financing a new unit, so that means you have to have just one tractor to try and do many different things. Bummer.

In a perfect world, i would recommend:

1 lawn tractor with hydrostatic drive - $2000 to $4000 new for mowing around the house, something your wife can use easily, etc. In my case this is the heaviest use pce of equipment.

1 Used 25hp compact with FEL, 4wd and hydro - min $12,500

1 Older 45hp farm tractor for large acre brush hogging, skidding heavy objects, etc - $5,000

This recipe would only be practical if you had a lump sum of cash, or possibly a home equity loan. Otherwise, you will be forced to find one tractor (B7800? TC29?) that can do everything, including finish mowing.

Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Do I need a tractor? #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Eventually I would need to add more fencing and smooth out/groom the forest roads as well as adding some more trails for riding.

I guess those tasks calls for a FEL and boxblade.)</font>

I've been using a TC33D w/ 5' brushhog and 6' boxblade to maintain 1300'+ of gravel road/driveway, and to create/maintain trails in our woods for walking/XC-skiing/horseback riding. I find the size works well for me. I would have gone larger (we have 80+ acres, plus help our neighbors with their 30 acres), but was concerned about maneuverability down some of the trails through the woods. The only thing I still have a tough time with is figuring out an easy way of dealing with the sapling stubble after brush-hogging. Once the trail has been established and kept up for a couple of years, it's not an issue, but that small stubble could wreak havoc on a horse's hoof if they stepped on it wrong. Often the boxblade will clear them out, but not always.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The largest building entrance is 12x10, while the smallest one is 8x8. I'm not sure I'll ever want to get a tractor in the smaller one, as there's plenty of storage/workspace area elsewhere.)</font>

The mid-sized NH CUTs (TC29 & TC33) will fit through an 8 x 8 door with no problem, you don't even have to fold the ROPS down (that's the size door I put on the building where I store my TC33D). Personally, I would not go much smaller than this for the tasks you describe... unless one of your PRIMARY uses was to manuever in tight spaces inside your buildings, for example). JD 4300/4310 is similar size and capabilty, as is the Kubota L3010 (I'm not sure about the newer Kubota 3130... I've heard it's a bit bigger than the L3010).

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I need to worry about the tractor & implements crushing my septic system in one of the side fields? )</font>

Many folks drive right over their tanks and leach fields. I do not. It's not just a matter of crushing it. That's possible, but rare on a properly installed system. You also have a problem with soil compaction. Over time, this can greatly reduce the capacity of your system to handle wastewater flows. You can minimize this by keeping your equipment as light as possible, and not driving over it unless the soil is thoroughly dry. I have an old Craftsman garden tractor (i.e. a glorified riding mower) that I've kept for mowing up near the house and over the septic system.

John Mc

/ Do I need a tractor? #20  
"If you're not sure what to buy, why don't you consider renting something in the 25-35 HP range with a FEL and a five or six foot brush hog for a weekend? You can do some mowing in different fields, used the FEL for some other chores and, in general, just see what you think." <font color="blue"> </font>

jlemon,
This is good advice, but I would check with your local dealers and ask them if they will let you "try one out". All of the local dealers in my area (35 miles NW of Milwaukee) offered to deliver the tractor to my propery and let me try them for a week or so! at no cost.