Do I need a tractor?

/ Do I need a tractor?
Heh, I probably did set myself up for that. It appears that I already have some implements that were previously abandoned. They probably need some work, as shown here:
Abandoned implement
I think some of the wheels are missing, and half the blades are chipped fairly badly.

/ Do I need a tractor? #22  
O.K., what's up here? This is TBN ****!

A "new guy" signs up, shows us three pictures that are now my favorite wallpapers, and then runs around shooting enticing pics of abandoned implements laying about in seductive poses on his property. I suppose there's a minty Hemi GTX in the barn.......it's a gas hog, but I'll give you $500 bucks for it, if you wash it and fill it up.

I smell a rat! Who is this, really? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Otherwise, I was surprised to find SteveM's comments pretty much exactly the same as my intentions:

<font color="blue"> 1 lawn tractor with hydrostatic drive - $2000 to $4000 new for mowing around the house, something your wife can use easily, etc. In my case this is the heaviest use piece of equipment.

1 Used 25hp compact with FEL, 4wd and hydro - min $12,500

1 Older 45hp farm tractor for large acre brush hogging, skidding heavy objects, etc - $5,000 </font>

I started with the goal of aquiring a 4wd pickup, tractor and trailer (5-7000# GVWR) for the same price as a new pickup. I've got $6.5k in a 79 Ford 1700 (27 hp 2 cyl diesel 4wd w/ FEL) and $4k in an 87 F150 with plow. Both in really good shape, but took some waiting to find. Am now looking at both riders for the mowing/gardening, and a larger, possibly 2wd, possibly gas tractor for skidding and keeping the Ford alive longer. Steve's prices are dead on; the first two may be available for even less, depending on age.

The thing I've been wondering about for a few years, is how much we all, including myself, think so hard about something like this, when a lot of us go out and drop $20-30k on a new pickup without batting an eyelash. The parking lot at work is full of them, several diesel crewcabs included, and those guys were the first to sidle up to me and question the wisdom of buying "such a big tractor" for my four acres....until I changed the subject and started them talking about their new 4-wheelers, sleds, or Harleys.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My next door neighbor has been managing 75 acres with a JD 650 (+/- 17 hp diesel), 60" rear mount finish mower, and FEL for a decade. He's had his field hayed by local farmers and kept a couple hundred bales for two cows, built stone walls, cleared brush, and hauled firewood. He's recently expanded his property to 200+ acres, and is ready to get a larger tractor (35-40 hp diesel 4wd), but he could have managed with the 650 if he wanted. He's very patient and careful with the tractor; I think I would have worn it out hurrying (I don't think I could even find 1st/1st, and it seems to be his favorite speed when using the FEL).

I dunno if I added anything but length to this thread. I haven't had the Ford a year yet and it's great, even for 4 acres. It has saved my back, helped us get things done we would've waited on, and freed up time for other things. Cruise over to vintage tractors and talk to those guys - Soundguy up above in this thread has got two beauties, and RichZ's been using a couple old ones, just two name two.

/ Do I need a tractor? #23  
Yeah, but that is a pretty decent looking disk set. I'll take it if you don't want it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ah, yes, this is a sweet setup going on here. Multiple tractors should be in the plan...but "Do I need a tractor?". C'mon, you bet you do /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...