Do I need chains?

/ Do I need chains? #21  
I started to make a set of chains for my BX25D last year but ended up purchasing them. It was just taking waaaay to long to fabricate them. They worked great with the R4 tires and I'm waiting delivery of a set for the front. I have 2" spacers on the back but I think I can use the front chains without them. It's getting too icy around here this year to be able to plow without the front chains. My GMC has 4 studded tires so it will move around OK, but the BX is great for getting into those places that the truck can't...like plowing the path for the oil man. I put a 2 1/2" split pipe on the front edge of the FEL bucket to prevent digging up soft ground and that works great! I also have a home made back blade that scrapes snow pretty well after the ground is frozen. Will post pictures when I get the chains on.

Can you please post a picture of you 2 1/2" split pipe you use. I'm curious.
Thanks

/ Do I need chains? #22  
If you have a very steep driveway you may want chains. I have had a slightly sloped drive ( Big Dip in the middle of my drive) and when ever i was coming up out of the dip traction became an issue when pushing deep snow. If your drive is fairly flat, I agree with the guys who say to try without them.

/ Do I need chains? #23  
Can you please post a picture of you 2 1/2" split pipe you use. I'm curious.
Thanks

Here you go! I just drew a straight line down the length, took the sawzall to it, then just get a BFH and pound it onto the edge of the bucket!
pip2.jpgPipe.jpg

/ Do I need chains? #25  
Your a genius - who would have thought of that? :cool::D and I even happen to have a chunk available. :thumbsup:
Sorry but I can't take credit for the idea...saw it on TV when some little league team used PVC on plows mounted on ATVs to clear a ball field. Look on GOOGLE and you will see lots of other applications. Some people add some brackets to hold it on but it's pretty tight on mine. If it loosens, then I'll add some angle iron on the ends such that they can be bolted to the bucket. Have fun!

/ Do I need chains?
Just to report....we got our first winery mess last weekend. ~1 -1.5" of sleety hard packed snow. The tractor did great without chains and just weight on the hitch. Now I need to do the lazy man's upgrade. I still have on the mowing deck but the 62" deck is wider than the 54" blade. Time to fab up some wing extensions to get the width standardized; I know this sound crazy but I hope to not even need to drop the mowing deck in the winter. Heck I could even mow with the blade on the front....but that at least is a easy quick attached to remove.

/ Do I need chains? #27  
I saw you should get a set of chains. If you get some ice under the snow you will want them. Chains are really cheap for your tire size anyway. I say it is better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

/ Do I need chains? #28  
Just to report....we got our first winery mess last weekend. ~1 -1.5" of sleety hard packed snow. The tractor did great without chains and just weight on the hitch. Now I need to do the lazy man's upgrade. I still have on the mowing deck but the 62" deck is wider than the 54" blade. Time to fab up some wing extensions to get the width standardized; I know this sound crazy but I hope to not even need to drop the mowing deck in the winter. Heck I could even mow with the blade on the front....but that at least is a easy quick attached to remove.
My neighbor tried that with his DEERE last year and ground clearance became an issue in the deep snow we received.

/ Do I need chains? #29  
I suppose it depends what type of terrain you are plowing. I attempted to plow a hilly gravel laneway with my B26 and it was a horrible experience. There are a few spots with a hard bank that had the tractor slipping sideways. I went out and bought chains (which then required wheel spacers). More money than I wanted to spend later I'm content with the setup.

/ Do I need chains? #30  
Turfs here plowing since 1999 with no extra weight or ballast. Most of the time I'm in 2wd unless it is a heavier snow or I'm going into the ditch.