Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate?

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #11  
gamble77 said:
Dealer volume bonus is figured dramatically different on 5X25 series machines then it is on the 5X03 series

the reason I asked is because I have seriously been thinking about buying a 5225, or looking for a used 5320. I just like the extra weight compared to the 5003 series, and since I will be keeping the tractor for years and years, I might as well go for the bigger tractor. I have been told that dealers have more wiggle room with the 5025 series then they do with the 5003 series.

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #12  
RollingsFarms said:
I have been told that dealers have more wiggle room with the 5025 series then they do with the 5003 series.

That's the way I understand it. Note that gamble77 agreed (he's a dealer)...

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #13  
Around here, you're invisible and when you can get them to talk to you, take it or leave it is the attitude, that's some of the reasons I got orange.

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #14  
milkman said:
Around here, you're invisible and when you can get them to talk to you, take it or leave it is the attitude, that's some of the reasons I got orange.

same here except I went blue --orange try calling me back the same day I bought my NH.

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #15  
I have 2 oranges because 1 blue dealer wouldn't give me the time of day, and another blue dealer quoted one price on the phone then raised it when I came in to buy. My experience with green wasn't real good when discussing an attachment.

I have found that none really negotiate, at least not the way you can if buying an automobile. Depending on how well they know you seems to determine their price, and then it is Take it or leave it.

Comparing prices here on TBN seems to be a good way of determining a "fair" price, as we all want to pay about the same, at least we don't want to pay significantly more than what others are paying. However, not all dealers have the same cost of doing business, so it will vary.

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #16  
Hello Mr. G-Force;

We have owned a 3320 w/ 300CX loader for the past 6 years. Love it, love it, love it!!!! No problems what so ever. Below zero degrees starts as good as on a90 degree day. Actually it's my wifes tractor. Mine is a 89 CaseIH
685 purchased new. It to has bben great and no problems.

We like the 3320 so much we closed a deal on a new 3320 w/ Factory Cab today. Because of the options sselected it's a factory order.

When shopping for the first 3320 several dealers told us the 3320 was by far the most popular unit in the 3000 series.

Good luck.

Nicholas
Lake City, Michigan

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #17  
It's been my experience that green dealers won't dicker on price, you're lucky if they'll take the time to talk to you. I've found the same thing to be true of our local orange dealer.
When I bought my most recent MF the dealer went out of his way to sell the machine. They didn't have the model I wanted so they got one in from another dealer 75 miles away and let me play with it. We negotiated on the price and I bought the machine.
I recently stopped in a new JD dealer, just kicking tires. Picked up some lynch pins, a top link pin and a can of carb cleaner. The guy totaled it up and it came to $35.00. There's no way this stuff could cost $35.00. I asked him what each item cost, the can of carb cleaner was $17.00. Left it all there and walked out.
They have an attitude that you should feel priviledged to own a green machine.

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #18  
Hello Mr. Mark Page;

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with those dealers. Exactly the opposite around here. Our local JD dealer is Voelker implement and they have a huge inventory of both new and used equipment, all with keys in them. Shoppers are encouraged to test drive any unit they may be interested in. They also have a large dirt pile to test loader operation.
We ended up buying a 3320 with 300CX loader. There is nothing that dealer could have done to please us more. Same said for the orange dealer in Traverse City.

We just closed the deal on a new 3320 cab tractor with 300cx loader, front snow blower,
mid mount drive over mower. Tomorrow, Monday we should have a build date.

As far as the high price for the JD items. It's the same if you buy Goodwrench
products or Mopar or FOMOCO branded products. Dig deep into the pocket because you'll pay pleanty for the name.

Nicholas
Lake City, Michigan

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #19  

Same in my area. I've gone in several times for misc parts and ended up walking out. The problem is our dealer owns all the stores in the area. Ended up getting parts on the internet. Our Orange and Blue dealer are smaller and much more customer oriented. Not saying better equipment just friendlier.

Early in my career I worked for a JD dealer. Joh Deere came in and forced all kinds if regulations on the dealer. Things like sign certain distance from road and required the owner to put another $10 million in the business. We were growing like crazy even with a bad business model (in my opinion) and opening up stores in most major cities and satellite stores in rural areas with major construction. Well the owner got tired of the demands and closed everything. I still remember the auction of all the used equipment like yesterday. The barbeque was the greatest. Don't get me wrong, I like JD but some of the regulations put on the dealers are crazy. I also worked for Cat dealer and they also had some crazy ways of doing things. Maybe they all do????

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #20  
Hello;

I'm very sorry to hear of the problems you have had. If it were me I would do the same thing you guys did. Maybe I'm luckier then most but truthfully this dealer has been fantastic. I don't know of anything they could do to make me happier. I should be hearing from them today with a build date for our new tractor. Me??? Like a kid at Christmas and 71yoa.

nicholas