Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate?

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #21  
Well the owner got tired of the demands and closed everything. I still remember the auction of all the used equipment like yesterday. The barbeque was the greatest. Don't get me wrong, I like JD but some of the regulations put on the dealers are crazy.

NAEDA (the dealer association) does a survey every year of manufacturer and dealer relationships. Deere is consistantly at, or very near the bottom of the pile. It seems they think quite highly of themselves, and that seems to rub off on their dealers and they way they often treat customers.

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #22  
NAEDA (the dealer association) does a survey every year of manufacturer and dealer relationships. Deere is consistantly at, or very near the bottom of the pile. It seems they think quite highly of themselves, and that seems to rub off on their dealers and they way they often treat customers.

My dealer worships Satan, kills babies and I know this for a fact as I went out to dinner with him...don't eat his vegetables...

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #23  
I find it humorous that within the same dealership (multiple branches in a region) I was able to get quite a range in quotes for the same tractor package. Seems to me that the sales team needs to start communicating better. Either that, or the salesman have varying strategies of volume sales vs commission based on price. That was my experience anyway

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #24  

I bet that will change now that Tom Nobbe, is first vice chairman of the board of directors.

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #25  

The 2012 NAEDA survey. Yes, Kubota did quite well, although it sure doesnt look like Deere is at (or even near) the bottom of the pile... In fact it looks like everyone else is below Kubota and Deere.

It was a good try though as most of the subscribers on here probably wouldnt have seen this chart.

Attachments

• 2012 NAEDA.png
    2012 NAEDA.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 834
   / Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #26  
The 2012 NAEDA survey. Yes, Kubota did quite well, although it sure doesnt look like Deere is at (or even near) the bottom of the pile... In fact it looks like everyone else is below Kubota and Deere.
It was a good try though as most of the subscribers on here probably wouldnt have seen this chart.
Posting links to charts is always nice, that way people can see the whole picture. Looks like that is the "Major Brands" chart which for some reason excludes Bobcat...
The one I found (http://www.msdeda.com/pdf/2012 Dealer Manufacturer Survey-TOC.pdf) has Deere as a little below average (average is 5.11 and Deere is 5.06).
By comparison, Bobcat got a 5.45, as did Gehl. Kioti got a 5.42, Mahindra got a 5.05 and Class got a 5.62.

Aaron Z

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #27  
All i can say is i used to own a JD and liked the tractor enough that when it came time to buy a new one, i went back to the dealership i purchased the first one from and asked to see the new cabbed versions. They pulkled out a brochure and told me the price, then the salesman walked away. they had a few on the lot but he didnt even ask if id like to go test drive any.

Ive been dealing with this shop for 14 years, and i was pissed. I walked back to the dealer and started asking about the prices and cash discounts. he told me the sticker price is it. no bargaining, at which point i turned and walked out while announcing to anyone close buy what i thought of this dealership. Needless to say ive never been back.

The 2 JD dealerships in this area are owned by same person. If im going to spend MY money,. ill do it with people that want my business.

Im not faulting JD, they make a fine piece of equipment, but this particular dealership turned me off of their product. Everyone negotiates. Ive never made a single LARGE purchase without negotiating a price. Its nearly UN-American (hehe).

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #28  
Is it common to get dealers to sell below the 13% from MSRP without a corporate discount, or should I jump all over this offer?

It is my impression that a decent post-negotiation price is ~85% of MSRP. That being said, I don't think the 13% is anything spectacular, but at least you don't have to negotiate to get that price. I'd go for it - 87% of MSRP is a good price, but I wouldn't buy a JD specifically because of it, as you can likely get the same kind of price anywhere after some haggling.

JayC

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #29  
I bought my Kubota L4400 in June 2011. Before I bought it, I went to two JD dealers in my area. I went with a neighbor of mine that has two JD tractors and a Gator. I was really interested in a certain model of JD. It is not my intention to ridicule, shame or degrade any sales person, because everyone has to earn a living. I am just stating the truthful facts that I experienced from both JD dealers. They both had negative attitudes toward anything that was other than JD and were arrogant. When asking about the I-Match Quick Hitch, one salesman stated directly to me that he would tell me more about the Quick Hitch, if and when I bought the tractor. At the time, I had very limited knowledge about Quick Hitches. Another salesman told me "Flat Out" that if I wasn't willing to pay his price, that someone else would come by and buy it at that price. BTW, my neighbor who took me to the JD dealerships helped me transport my new Kubota on his equipment trailer.

/ Do John Deere dealers generally negotiate? #30  
I really am shocked to read about all these bad experiences with JD dealerships and salesman. maybe it's different for me because I personally know both salesman that I always deal with at my local dealer. the parts counter guys are great too. I'll admit that the head of the shop is sort of arrogant but I've never had a problem with him or any work that I've ever had done. the 4 JD dealerships near me are all owned by the same family, and you can go to the main one about 30 mins away and talk to the owner anytime. very nice guy and willing to work with you. now, there are some other JD dealerships around me that are owned by different people and they are generally higher then my local dealer. his price is the same at ANY of his 4 stores. so say you get a quote at the one 15 mins from my house, it's going to be the same quote and any of the other 3 stores.

I was looking at a used 5325 they had on the lot a few weeks ago. wasn't in the best shape, had been used to mow county roads by the DOT, and when I went to talk to one of the salesman I know, he was honest with me and said "just so you know, that tractor came in with a blown motor and we put a brand new one in it, we went through it and it didn't seem to have any problems but I can't sit here and tell you it was treated all that well. we were going to carry it to the auction instead of sell it to a customer and it have potential problems." He would have gladly sold it to me but I was glad he was honest and decided that I may want to wait on something a little nicer to come in.

Whenever you buy any new or used equipment from them you have a girl call you a week or two later to ask you how you like it, any problems or questions, asks how your dealer experience went, etc. They don't just sell you something and shove you out the door and hope for the best.

The reason the local Kubota guy couldn't stay in business is he couldn't come CLOSE to giving the customer service that JD was giving. plus he didn't know how to negotiate, his shop was terrible, and instead of having tractors that horse farmers want to buy, homeowners, etc. he tried to keep a lot full of 90+ hp tractors and butt heads with Deere/Case/NH in the ag market and got a rude awakening.

Deere has their act together in these parts. so does Case and NH.