do not buy too big of tractor!

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #11  
You say "mass heavy", but in fact, it really is not that heavy, 3000+lbs is not that much when spread out on those big tires. I would have thought that in your situation a set of turf ties would have worked well. Mowing with the loader off would not only decrease that mass, but makes manuverability much easier. I am dropping down in size from my just sold and picked up today (4/18/03) L48. The main reason was not because of mass or weight but rather because of the medium range being to low (0 to 4 mph) the L3830 is 0 to 7 mph in medium and because of the awkwardness of mowing with the loader on on my hills with all the sprinklers I have. For fine lawns etc., the L3830 is to big, I would consider a dedicated mower type unit that is really designed to give you a superior finish. My little Snapper 33" mower really does a clean job on all my lawn areas. I think the L3830 is my next tractor. It's little compared to my L48, but with 30 PTO HP, it will run most of what I need or plan to have. For absolute maximum return when/if you decide to sell, just keep the hours low, keep it as scratch free as possible and sell as soon as you can. I did quite well with my L48, Rat...

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #12  
BWS,
Is it possible that the tires are the problem and not the tractor? As has already been pointed out?
If that machine is 3K lbs that its not really that heavy.
Unfilled turf tires might make a world of difference.

Towing it should not be that bad. You won't do it with a 4cyl SUV, but tag trailers with two 5K or better yet two 7k axels are not much more money than a trailer with 3.5K axels. That plus a 1/2 ton pickup and your in business.

You might find that trufs and the extra hp work well since you can use it for more than just a lawn mower.

Fred

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #13  
Just how big is this tractor? weight /hp?

Soundguy

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #14  
Was the tractor really too heavy,or were you actually underequipped to handle it? A 10k trailer will move most 70 or so hp mfd tractors around quite easily,let alone your little Kubota. Would not a 3 ton or so suffice? Remember like the carpenters say"measure twice".

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #15  
I'll trade ya for my BX 22, Front end loader, backhoe, 60 Mid mount mower *mows great*, 48" bushhog, 48" box blade and 5' backblade. Seriously.....

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #16  
I just traded in an L-3710 for a 5030HSTC. I mowed the lawn at our farm and at my rental property with no problem. I had a 72" mid-mount under the 3710, but took it off and ran a woods 72" rear finish mower. I think your problem is that:
1. You loaded the tires.
I have never loaded tires on a tractor, and that includes our row crop tractors. Compaction is not only a problem on your lawn, it is in the field too.
2. You have the wrong tires.
Go back to the dealer and trade for a set of turf tires and forget about the fill. You have 4wd and you don't need it. I've been farming for a lot of years and I never ran loaded tires.
3. Your tractor is not heavy.
I mowed with the 3710 on seeded lawns and never left tire marks. The 3710 is larger than your unit and heavier too.

My new 5030 has no provision for a mid mount and because of the cab, it precludes me from mowing with it.

Daryl
Forage services, L.P.

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #17  
Actually, the L3830 is heavier then the 3710. For the HST models, the L3830 is 3340lbs with R1's while the L3710 is 2990lbs with R1 tires. Add a little more for R4's. Still pretty light tractors. Your right about ballast and turfs. I asked about using turfs instead of R4's. My biggest concern is whether they can handle the loads from the loader. Also, make sure you are out of 4WD when your mowing when it's not needed. Rat...

3050, did you run turfs on your 3710? If so how were they under a load, when a bucket was heaped?

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #18  
i might get some static here but i have always been one that proposed that u get the biggest tractor THAT U NEED ! not the biggest tractor! there are times i wish i had a much bigger trator , but then there are times i had a smaller one(not many) but for my 9 ac. my b2400 is fine 98% of the time.

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #19  
Sorry to hear of your unhappiness. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I had the same problem. Lots of heavy work to be done by the larger tractor, but once it's done I'd have little use for it. So I bought a big used tractor, beat the heck out of it, and plan to get rid of it. I bought a much smaller tractor new for every day use. I'm happy I did it that way. If I ever need really big jobs done, I'll rent a big machine or hire the job out.

I look at it this way. Even if we all could afford a really huge tractor, car, boat, etc... it isn't always practical.

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...Lots of heavy work to be done by the larger tractor, but once it's done I'd have little use for it.)</font>

I told my dealer that what I really need was an incredible shrinking tractor. He relly tried, but closing his eyes and wishing real hard didn't work... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, I bought small and am contracting big as needed with the savings. The attachment shows my tractor and one I'm renting on weekends for a reasonable fee...

Attachments

• 257694-land042-0403.jpg
    257694-land042-0403.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 317