do not buy too big of tractor!

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #22  
Don,

Be careful. I think the big one wants to eat the little one. He looks hungry. Probably jealous of having full time parents and a place to live too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nick

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #23  
What I should have dones was pick up the rake on the Cat and hover it over the little guy - the rake is serious! (attachment).

Attachments

• 257898-land043-0403.jpeg
    257898-land043-0403.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 241
   / do not buy too big of tractor! #24  
Gawd /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Does processed boomer look anything like processed dog chow??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You are right, that rake looks like it could do a good job of clearing debris. Looks like a nice rental, what do they get for a day of play time?

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #25  
BWS, Here's the problem: When you get to the basic definition of what a tractor is, it is a TOY err. errr. I mean TOOL. I have some tools worth hundreds of dollars and some worth a few dollars. If I need a tool for a specific task that I don't have I usually just buy it. I can do this because they're really not that expensive in relation to what I save by paying someone else to do the job. When it comes to a tractor that philosophy certainly changes. I am not buying an ideal tractor to bushhog, one to mow grass, one to do FEL work etc. If you intend to do multiple tasks, what you end up with is either a perfect solution for some chores and a compromise for others, or possibly a compromise for all. Capable of everything, but isn't the best at any one thing. What you have in the 3830 is the perfect solution to improve your property and a compromise to maintain it. Personally I think you can alleviate most of your woes by changing to unloaded R3's and using some ballast when you use the FEL. You might want to consider removing the loader, depends on frequency that you switch and how difficult you find it. I have a #7000 lb open car hauler that handles an old Chrysler Imperial or Chevy Suburban no problem. I find it hard to believe it would have trouble with a Kubota. Bottom line, I really don't believe you went too big, I think you have to fine tune it for your requirements, Changing the tires should do wonders.
Good Luck
Pacesetter

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You are right, that rake looks like it could do a good job of clearing debris.)</font>

Attachment shows what it can do without breathing hard.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looks like a nice rental, what do they get for a day of play time? )</font>

I think I'm lucky. It's owned by a nice, local, young feller who uses it on contract with the local power company to clear power lines, and, with heavy pallet forks, to move pallets of sod. He lives right down the road and usually just drives it to my property, although he's dropped it off and picked it up using a heavy equipment trailer. All he wants is a little extra $$$ to cover maintenance on the tractor - letting me use it on the weekends is maximiaing the use; it doesn't sit idle for a couple of days. Therefore, he charges me $150/day when one of us is running it. When it gets into really heavy work, though, he has a couple of buddies who are so much more efficient at running it than we are that it often pays to hire the operator, too. They can sometimes do more in one day at $65/hour (usually a ten hour day - $650) than we could in 5 days of renting it (5@$150=$750). I've rented it for about 6 full days, so far, and paid them for another 3 full days of operation. The rough clearing is almost done at a total cost of $2850, compared to a land clearing company who quoted $5,000 for the same work (You have to remember, there was a lot of trash pepper trees and wild grape vines - the place was like a jungle when we started).

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #27  
Best get that vine/stick out of the grill. Blocking the grill is bad mojo. Looks like a fun machine.... I need one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ do not buy too big of tractor!
at the 50hr service i will have the tires emptied.i sure have made a mess around our barn and the driveway back to it.the dealer said 4800-5000lb tractor/loader/h.d.bucket/fluids/large r/4's filled.he ships them allover so i would guess he would be close.dont get me wrong i love the tractor but have stuck it a couple times.[truck yanked it out no problem].we have some wet ground around my area.we will be needing a hoe for perk tests and running new well waterline so this size may pay off in the short term.thinking bradco 408/509.we will be doing some tile work to dry the property out too.bws.p.s. wish i could post more but somebody's locking up the computors where i hang.see ya.

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #29  
BWS
It has been a wet spring !!!!!!!

It's got to dry out sooner or later. I own a 1710 4WD with AG tires (2500 lbs I think)I mowed for the first last week and half of the property is still under water.
The finish mower even left ruts, the AG tires left 6" ruts when I was 30 yards from the standing water

I was able to mow last year without leaving any ruts and hardly a sign of my being there. Sometime the front AG tires left a mark if I turned too sharp and fast

My 1710 is on an acre and a half piece of land and I too am looking for turfs and to take off the FEL once I get done clearing the land and putting in the yard

Once you start other projects on your 6 acres Ithink you will be glad you have the bigger tractor.Maybe switch to turfs and get a set of chains if you have to

LAter Bartman

/ do not buy too big of tractor! #30  
BWS, good to hear from you, was hoping you could read all the comments about your situation. The ground conditions dictate for me when I can get out and use my tractor. Your right, you can really make a mess if you get on wet soil conditions to early. If the grass is long but the soil too wet, I just wait, especially on my hills here. The soil dries out quickly for me once the rain stops since I have hills, but the low areas can stop wet for quite some time. I plan to remove my loader for mowing and not fill the tires until I'm sure whether it will be needed. I fill and unload the tires myself.

The bare tractor is just over 3000lbs but the loader adds another 1500lbs and the filled tire is about 600lbs. Hope it works out well.