Do scrapyards still take scrap ?

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #51  
To change the subject just a little bit....

I've been wondering about this as I shop for implements. Every dealer states that what they have on the lot is "X dollars," but the next one I order will be "Y more" (usually substantially more. Given that steel and fuel prices have fallen with the economic downturn, why are implement prices still skyrocketing? Maybe the dealers and manufacturers are just trying to do a little profit taking, but the economics don't seem to add up.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #52  
To change the subject just a little bit....

I've been wondering about this as I shop for implements. Every dealer states that what they have on the lot is "X dollars," but the next one I order will be "Y more" (usually substantially more. Given that steel and fuel prices have fallen with the economic downturn, why are implement prices still skyrocketing? Maybe the dealers and manufacturers are just trying to do a little profit taking, but the economics don't seem to add up.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

I worked in sales for a major aluminum company for over 20 years and for and for a major metal fabricator and end users as well. During this time I have seen the rapid price increases happen many times....followed by a big drop in prices. (re: aluminum prices in the 70's) The metal mills pass on price increases rapidly....but the price concessions take allot of time to occur. Usually the competition (another mill) has to offer a lower price to force the primary supplier to offer a lower price (s).

Typically it takes allot of time (several months) for the end users to realize the new lower prices are here to stay and make price cuts for their products....they got this high priced inventory and just don't want to take a loss on it....but eventually reality sets in. This volatility in the markets makes for some huge profits for some.....and huge losses for others. The aftershocks of volatility are what makes it rough. It makes it hard for everyone to figure out what's gonna happen next....and I think that's the fear at this time.

All I know is that I never seem to be on the right side of it.

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #53  
I just read thru all 6 pages... this is like a mini-course in economics! Very interesting. Makes me want to learn more about whole system. Seems to me that government intervention, ie., certain requirements for recycled contents in manuf. products, would get the system moving again. The idea of burying useful scrap is just wrong...

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ?
As said in a different thread, i got 13 cents per kg for scrap 3 weeks ago... Its going up again.

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #55  
5 feb Long Beach,Ca. was paying 200.00 a ton for steel and 130.00 for tin

5 feb Long Beach,Ca. was paying 200.00 a ton for steel and 130.00 for tin

Thats 18 and 11.2 dollarcent per kg ?? The 13 Eurocent i got, was for pure junk, no heavy steel. So i think the prices are pretty much equal around the world.

==on edit: given the exchange rate, i got payd the US price of heavy steel, for my Euro tin ;)

/ Do scrapyards still take scrap ? #57  
Question: do you need to cut up scrap steel to get market price, or can you take in whole assemblies?

Question: do you need to cut up scrap steel to get market price, or can you take in whole assemblies?

I cut it up to be able to haul some... But when i brought a whole feed silo i got the same price as allways. For an old manure tanker i got less, because there is so much dirt inside...