Do tractors have "titles" like cars....

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #21  
when i bought my new kubota this spring they charged me for some kind or registration that's being filed with the states.

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #22  
Would it be possible to get a title for a tractor.
If for no other reason than to prove it's yours.

Pooh Bear

I think in most cases when you purchase a new tractor you would get a ( Certificate of Origin ) which would include horsepower, serial# and some other data???

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #23  
No title or registration here in Tasmania. You do require a licence plate if you drive your rig on the road, or perhaps it's if the tractor is used for commercial purposes... I'm not sure.

I've did receive a bill-of-sale, with matching serial numbers, for both of my tractors AND for every one of my implements. So John Deere & Fieldquip (some implements) knows that these are mine. They noted that they have helped recover stolen rigs, but only when the new 'owner' gets them serviced.

Fortunately, Tassie is an island so stolen rigs rarely leave the area. It's nice having a big 'moat' to deter thieves. :thumbsup:

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #24  
i purchased a cat 416c 63 months ago and all i got was a bill of sale. I have bought parts for it from the local CAT dealership right after my purchase of it and again two years later and again 1 week ago .All 3 times i gave the CAT dealership my serial # but the only difference was yesterday the police shows up on my job and says that my tractor is stolen and the police impounds my tractor . They didnt arrest me because they say im a victom , but what can i do about this ? I cant afford another tractor plus i paid good hard earned money for the one i had.
Your only recourse is to sue the person that sold the machine to you.

And to anyone that buys used.........be sure you see the sellers ID, and make sure it matches your bill of sale. As well as making sure the serial numbers match.

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #25  
Since try impounded it, it will probably go to the insurance company. Since they already paid the guy for the stolen machine you can probably work out a deal with the insurance about you needing a machine and that the police have information about who stole it(bill of sale have the name?) or at least pay part of your loss

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #26  
Always take the S/N to the dealer and make sure it has no lien on it as well.

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #27  
Erock, I wonder with the delay, if you bought the back hoe, and the guy you bought it from turned around and reported it stolen, after selling it to you. He's probably got your cash, the insurance companies cash, and now the hoe.

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #28  
I sold a Kubota last year. The guy buying it needed a bank loan. I worked directly with his lender. His lender understood there was no "title". He required that I showed a complete "chain of ownership" from the original sale from Kubota through the company I bought it from to myself. Basically, I had to get him the original sales receipt, a notarized bill of sale from THAT person who bought it to me and then I signed a notarized bill of sale to the new owner. The lender also said they were able to file leins with a government agency.

The advice to call dealers and check the serial numbers for leins and claims of theft is wise before buying....BUT, since you can't "register" your purchase anywhere there is very little stopping someone from reporting the vehicle stolen AFTER you buy it and having a similar situation occur.

ac

/ Do tractors have "titles" like cars.... #29  
give the serial number to the bank to borrow some money on it.the bank will check it out .all my bank needs is a serial number and bill of sale.