Do we "baby" our tractors too much?

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #31  
If the machine is on the owners property , you can tell by just looking around the place . Does not have to be fancy or expensive . Cleaned up , organized somewhat as I am not perfect . You can tell how the car , truck , tractor , has been treated . When you show up and there is a blue tarp laying all around it , leaves piled up everywhere , and the garage door hanging at half mast , you may have wasted a trip . BTDT .

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #32  
If the machine is on the owners property , you can tell by just looking around the place . Does not have to be fancy or expensive . Cleaned up , organized somewhat as I am not perfect . You can tell how the car , truck , tractor , has been treated . When you show up and there is a blue tarp laying all around it , leaves piled up everywhere , and the garage door hanging at half mast , you may have wasted a trip . BTDT .

+1. A very important sign to me.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #33  
I too agree that not having a loader is hurting this sale a bit (b3200).

To those 3 or 4 that mentioned it could be suspicious that it is so shiny outside, that it might be distracting or hiding something bad else where, makes no sence to me. If something is neglected, then it is neglected and over the course of 700 hours to 1700 hours it would show that too in the shiny areas and over that many hours there would be no way I could hide that by wash and wax. And why would it show no rust as if it didnt sit outside, no sun fade, and such and still someone was trying to hide something??? Why bother taking the time to put it in the garage everynight, but neglect internal parts? Even so, the potential buyer can sit on, start, run every function and see for themselves if it works as advertised. No sawdust in the gears. :D.

Any way, I was thinking this would turn more into the efficiencies of maintenance practices, rather then my issues directly.

Most advise still goes back to my point that it seems foolish to take such good care (cosmetically) of our equipment, or atleast in my situation, I know I was foolish to put forth so much effort in keeping those 2 tractors as pristine as I did. I dont believe in buy brand name because resale value will be better either.

So what does everybody think a fair price would be on that b3200, 700 hours, 60" mmm, and 5ft land pride bush hog?

Compare
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9179123

Looks clean

Half the hours, "dealer" pricing, i.e. not private sale.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much?
Compare
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9179123

Looks clean

Half the hours, "dealer" pricing, i.e. not private sale.

Ok, thanks. So I am thinking $10,500 maybe. $10,000 at lowest.

Ouch! Almost $8,000 deprecation in just 3 years. I feel this kubota didnt hold its value too well at all.

Or maybe I over paid for it at the get go =$18,000+.

Either way, I wasted my time being so meticulous with it and that will not happen to me again. Oil, filters, and grease is all my mx5200 is getting, along with the necessary repairs. I dont even care if the thing sits outside everynight. That is how I view maintenance now.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #35  
Either way, I wasted my time being so meticulous with it and that will not happen to me again.
I don't think you wasted your time. It is just that your reason was wrong.

Pretty is for the current owner, for pride of ownership, for display, for feeling good, whatever.

But you are right - it is NOT for resale.

Take care of it for you, not for others.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #36  
The one thing you can't overlook is that proper maintenance might have saved you a bunch of money on repairs. Since these were used in business, you know that lost time due to breakdowns is a killer. It's sort of like insurance, hate to pay it but it could save me a ton of money if the house burns down...

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #37  
It's funny, but I feel the opposite of those saying there is not "value" added to a machine that has been meticulously taken care of, including the exterior. If given the choice between 2 identical machines, I'd lean towards the one that looked better cosmetically. Obviously I'd still take into account the maintenance habits of the owners, if available ... but I like my stuff to look good.

Now, I do completely understand that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," and that cosmetics don't amount to anything on paper. So, it will all come down to the individual buyer.

Last edited:
   / Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #38  
As for me. I keep my BX clean and well maintained. Clean so I can see if something is going wrong(leaking, cracking) and it looks better to the neighbors.
When I buy I expect clean but not so clean all leaks and seeps are gone from view. Clean so I can see cracks, bends or broken parts/frame.

When I buy I am paying way to much. After all I paid more than anyone else was willing to pay.
When I sell I am giving it away. After all someone paid what I was asking.

I think I got a very good deal on my 03 BX. Had 1170hrs on it. Included was MMM, FEL, 5ft. tiller and 4ft rear blade. My first notice was the trans/hyd. fluid was not changed when it was supposed to have been. Took $$ off for that.
No seepage or leaks. Good tires.

I will pay asking price if the item is clean and well maintained. Not so much for dirty and leaking or dirty oil/trans/hyd. fluids.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #39  
Round and round goes the arguments. Being on the clean, cared for and well maintained side of this, I will add that both used Kubotas I have sold, which fell into the above category, elicited comments from buyers that "it looks well maintained" or something to that effect. Some dings, etc., for sure, but not beat. And, if its clean, you can see any leaks before they become major. I think anyway, never having had any.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #40  
I think lots about stuff like this. First of all, I think you treat your equipment right and if you did not, the situation would be even worse.

My Dad always impressed upon me, how hard it is to sell almost anything and how easy it is to buy.

There are many cheaper offerings in the market place these days. I heard a used equipment dealer biatching about this some time ago. Seems he couldn't sell his used main brand CUTS at his asking prices. I still see the same ones there years later!

I've kind of always thought this. Companies and private persons often buy new equipment with low finance loans, so they arn't interested in someones (even nice) used machines. Why would they bother or take the chance? It might be the difference of fifty or so bucks a month.

Then there are well to do people that will only buy new and not so well to do people that can't buy new or even nearly new, or much else!