do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work?

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #21  
When I mow I set my RPM on or close to the 540 mark (2300RPM) medium range on HST
With the Front end loader I usualy run at about 1800RPM in low range. The loader gets jerky at higher RPM.
Box blade and other I use whatever RPM works best usualy in the 1800 range.
Full throttle is about 3000 and I hardly ever get up there.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #23  
Even when using the BH, I rarely go over 2k RPM, haven't had a need so far, but running a tiller then yeah, WOT, less chance of problems IMHO.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #24  
I generally go by the manual; they designed and built it, so I figure it is a pretty good guideline. With experience, you will learn those instances in which going outside those parameters will work for you.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #25  
I mow and brush hog at full RPM. Depending on what kind of loader work, I throttle back appropriately. I run the PHD @ low RPM.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #26  
I generally go by the manual; they designed and built it, so I figure it is a pretty good guideline. With experience, you will learn those instances in which going outside those parameters will work for you.

Is this info in the Kubota manuals? If so, I haven't been able to find it.

Last edited:
   / do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #28  
Just my opinion here, not based on fact, but I think alot of people run to low of a rpm. I think they feel they are "saving" there engine by running at a lower rpm. To a point I think this is O.K. put I see people lugging there engnes at times. Open the throttle up and let it fly, this is really true when mowing. When I do end loader work, I tend to slow down the rpm to around 2100 becasue
*I'm smoother that way. 2100 seems like a pretty good setting on my BX, not to slow but not screaming.
*How do you do that with tractors that don't have a way to measure RPMs?

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work?
all very good info, but I am with lbrown on judging rpm .I have a bx2200 and it does not have a tach. on it.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #30  
all very good info, but I am with lbrown on judging rpm .I have a bx2200 and it does not have a tach. on it.

I think your best answer will come from time spent in the seat. After awhile you will get a feel for what is the right rpm for what you are doing. You develop a sense of how your tractor is behaving. It takes some time, but you'll see what I mean as time goes on.