Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance?

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #11  
I never start a machine in the cold for nothing if not needed !
What about running a woodsplitter all day at close to idle speed ? BAD??? or ok ? on the engine

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #12  
I don't start mine unless I'm going to use it. While you may start it and get the engine up to temp it takes longer for the hst and a lot longer if a gear drive tranny to get to temp, so if you shut down before the tranny is at temp you will get condensation. Put a battery tender on it and let it sit. I've never let my Kubota idle long enough to see if it will get to normal operating temps, once it is started and has good oil pressure I bump rpm's to about 1200 to start warmup, it is a well documented fact that idling a diesel in cold temps is not recommended. My truck is factory programmed to idle up to about 1100 rpm if let idling too long in cold temps.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #13  
Letting your machine idle for long periods of time not good for engine. I keep a tender on the battery and only run when needed. No wonder the manufacturers can give 3 to 5 year limited warranties when most owners are lucky to break 100 hours in that time.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #14  
Not working the tractor is better than a half hearted attempt at warming it up. Sitting doesn't hurt it but not burning up moisture and condensation does and just sitting at idle will not burn that up but will in fact create more.

I only run one machine during the winter unless something unexpected happens and only so much can fit inside the heated garage. So I do pull the batteries out of anything that will sit in cold storage and alternate them on the tender. I would need 11 battery tenders to cover everything so rotation is best for me.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #15  
You have more time and money than the rest of us. Time to start you tractor, money to waste fuel and money for an early engine rebuild.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #16  
Not working the tractor is better than a half hearted attempt at warming it up. Sitting doesn't hurt it but not burning up moisture and condensation does and just sitting at idle will not burn that up but will in fact create more.

I only run one machine during the winter unless something unexpected happens and only so much can fit inside the heated garage. So I do pull the batteries out of anything that will sit in cold storage and alternate them on the tender. I would need 11 battery tenders to cover everything so rotation is best for me.
Exactly . A half *** warm up and shut down only increases the condensation problem . Either work it or leave it sit .

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #17  
Been around heavy forestry and ag equipment all my life and been doing my own repairs for 40 years or so, including transmissions, engines, differentials and final drives. Not claiming to be an expert, but in my experience the only time that I have ever seen rust on the inside of a casing was on machines that have sat for long enough to let the oil coating dry off the casing and internal parts above the oil line. It can happen quite quickly in areas where there is significant temperature variation like here in Maine. A warm day and followed by a cold night causes condensation on any metal surface, including gear surfaces, wet brake disks, etc. I always start each of my tractors at least every two weeks in winter and take them for a ride in the snow. They get heated up nicely, I get to look around my place, the housings, bearings, and surfaces in the machine are recoated with oil, the battery gets recharged nicely, and my neighbors wonder what the **** I'm doing. All very worthwhile outcomes. My $0.02 worth.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #18  
Thanks for all the info. I can see the warm-to-operating once you start it. I think I'll have reason to start it every 2wks-month. I can always take a ride around and confound the neighbors.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #19  
I only start/run my tractor when I have work to do with it. Otherwise, it sits in the shed with a Battery Tender attached.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #20  
Only start it when I need it which in the winter is about once a week to put out hay. Unfortunately it doesn't allow for a complete warm up.