Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance?

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #21  
Sitting unused for a while doesn't hurt the machine as much as running it for short periods of time intermittently, without getting it up to temperature (which boils off condensation). Sitting is bad for the battery, so if you can find a way to keep a smart trickle charger on it, that will extend the battery life, and make it more likely to start right away when you need it.

+1 This is especially so if its got a DPF, as relatively short runs will load up the filter. BTW, have had it for one year and over 182 hours on the clock.

Still waiting for the first snow . . ..

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #22  
Thanks for all the info. I can see the warm-to-operating once you start it. I think I'll have reason to start it every 2wks-month. I can always take a ride around and confound the neighbors.

Yours probably is hst but for those with a gear trans. you may just want to drive it around a little to keep the clutch from freezing to the pressure plate and prevent your brakes from freezing in place on some tractors , don't ask me how I know . We ended up having to have the tractor split as we couldn't get the clutch unstuck and it only sat about 3 months in an unheated and damp garage .

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #23  
I didn't read all the posts, this is my experience. My 84 Kubota sat idle for 15 years. Weeds grew up taller than the tractor. Weeds great through the cab area, through the bottom of the engine etc. I'm sure there has been dozens of people saying do this, do that or else, you must do this, or....
For giggles on day I aired up the tires, I pulled her out of the sand that had built up around the flat tires, put in a new battery and that good old girl fired right up. There were four of us with jaws on the ground. I checked the fluids, all were good, I plowed a field for 8 hours of hard running that same day.
Then five years later after using it regularly I decided FINALLY to change the fluids, filters, and treat the old girl to some TLC.
Yes you heard me correctly, almost 20 years with the same oil, fluids, filters etc. That was a year ago, maybe I'll fire her up this week, but chances are I won't.
A guy came by and offered to buy her for what I paid for her in the 80's, and I said nope, she's treated me right so I'll never get rid of her.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #24  
Great story Cat_Driver. While I do change my fluids regularly, I have often wondered as to the necessity of prescribed frequency.

Years ago, I had an old '59 Chevy that I bought for $200. I drove it to work every day, so I could leave the Corvette in the garage except on weekends. That old chevy had ZERO oil/filter changes for more than 5 years - ran like a champ!!!

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #25  
My dump truck sits 5 mons. of the yr. usually the backhoe sits most of the winter tractor gets used almost every day. My opinion is starting them just to idle for a short time creating the heating and cooling in the winter will just create more condensation in the fuel tank. I fill the tanks before they sit and charge the battery's up every 30 days. I've had 5 backhoes that had between 12 & 15 thousand hrs. on them before upgrading and none have ever used oil or had engine problems.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #26  
I didn't read all the posts, this is my experience. My 84 Kubota sat idle for 15 years. Weeds grew up taller than the tractor. Weeds great through the cab area, through the bottom of the engine etc. I'm sure there has been dozens of people saying do this, do that or else, you must do this, or.... For giggles on day I aired up the tires, I pulled her out of the sand that had built up around the flat tires, put in a new battery and that good old girl fired right up. There were four of us with jaws on the ground. I checked the fluids, all were good, I plowed a field for 8 hours of hard running that same day. Then five years later after using it regularly I decided FINALLY to change the fluids, filters, and treat the old girl to some TLC. Yes you heard me correctly, almost 20 years with the same oil, fluids, filters etc. That was a year ago, maybe I'll fire her up this week, but chances are I won't. A guy came by and offered to buy her for what I paid for her in the 80's, and I said nope, she's treated me right so I'll never get rid of her.
Well I guess if your only going to use it once every 15 years I might fall into your system. I wouldn't recommend it, if you want to use it more. I start mine every few weeks and bring them up to temp. During winter I pick warm days to do it, avoiding a cold start. HS

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance?
I didn't realize there were cold starts down in your neck o the woods HS. I'm sure some north of me will say the same about me. I had to plow in 10 below last year with no cab and a heck of a wind.

After reading all the posts here, I still think I'll try to fire the tractor up every 2 weeks during the winter. I usually vary the rpms for 10-15 minutes. It's pretty damp where it's parked and I like to know that the battery is still charged. I'd tender it but I don't have power in that building.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance?
I didn't realize there were cold starts down in your neck o the woods HS. I'm sure some north of me will say the same about me. I had to plow in 10 below last year with no cab and a heck of a wind.

After reading all the posts here, I still think I'll try to fire the tractor up every 2 weeks during the winter. I usually vary the rpms for 10-15 minutes. It's pretty damp where it's parked and I like to know that the battery is still charged. I'd tender it but I don't have power in that building.

/ Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #29  
Common forum conundrum. Someone asks a question, nearly everyone says one way is best, but they still plan to do it their way. :confused: Why ask the question in the first place?

Last edited:
   / Do you regularly start your diesel tractor as maintenance? #30