Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX
Gilligan with the new used BX2360. Don't pay the dealer for this easy job but get your fluid and filters from Kubota dealer.

I'm sorry I'm a little slow this morning. Did you change the hydro fluid or just try to catch what leaked when you changed the filter and cleaned the strainer? I'll be looking at doing this in the fall so I'm learning from everyone else's experiences.

Must feel good to have this done and to have saved the dealer service charges. :)

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Vacuum cleaner on the fill port of the transmission and you will NOT spill a drop next time!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Doing the change yourself is a great and cost savings way to learn a bit about your tractor.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #203  
Got a question...I did the 50 hour service on my BX2370. Changed oil, oil filter, tranny filter and MMM gearbox oil. My manual doesn't call for the cleaning of the tranny strainer that has been mentioned here. Think I should remove it & clean it anyway?
Thanks for all the useful info and pics on this thread! Wish it was a sticky.

Got a question...I did the 50 hour service on my BX2370. Changed oil, oil filter, tranny filter and MMM gearbox oil. My manual doesn't call for the cleaning of the tranny strainer that has been mentioned here. Think I should remove it & clean it anyway?
Thanks for all the useful info and pics on this thread! Wish it was a sticky.

Yes, remove it and clean it.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #205  
Bought my BX1860 Nov. 11, 2012 and just hit 50.2 hrs - WOO HOO. This past spring I bought oil, udt and the filter kit from my local dealer (where I bought the BX). Today I replaced the fuel filters, air filter, then the trans filter. Removed the RL tire and pulled the strainer (used a #5 rubber stopper that worked perfectly) which was perfectly clean - gave me the opportunity to at least see and get aquainted with the process - easy!, and topped off the HST with udt. Started her up and ran around the yard then parked and let her sit a few min. Checked the HST level again - fine, and while just warm was ready to change the engine oil and replace the filter. Much to my surprise, the new oil filter was much bigger than the one installed. I looked up my model's oil filter part# and the dealer gave me the wrong filter. Upon closer inspection of the box the filter kit came in it was for the BX2660/BX2200 models. I just took what they sold me and happily walked out the door, never even read the label, luckily all the other filters were right. Tomorrow I'm going to the dealer, about 25 miles away, and hopefully trade the big filter for the right one so I can change my oil and filter tomorrow putting my first 50 hr service behind me.
I always check all my Rx's at the pharmacy before I leave, don't know why I didn't do it then but it was my first time - they could have told/sold me anything.
Moral of the story; Do your own servicing it's fun, educational and easy AND always read the label before you leave the parts counter!!!:banghead::duh:

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #206  
Much to my surprise, the new oil filter was much bigger than the one installed. I looked up my model's oil filter part# and the dealer gave me the wrong filter. Upon closer inspection of the box the filter kit came in it was for the BX2660/BX2200 models. I just took what they sold me and happily walked out the door, never even read the label, luckily all the other filters were right. Tomorrow I'm going to the dealer, about 25 miles away, and hopefully trade the big filter for the right one so I can change my oil and filter tomorrow putting my first 50 hr service behind me.
I always check all my Rx's at the pharmacy before I leave, don't know why I didn't do it then but it was my first time - they could have told/sold me anything.
Moral of the story; Do your own servicing it's fun, educational and easy AND always read the label before you leave the parts counter!!!:banghead::duh:

I hand them a piece of paper with the part #'s that I want...just for that reason.:confused2:

Bought my BX1860 Nov. 11, 2012 and just hit 50.2 hrs - WOO HOO. This past spring I bought oil, udt and the filter kit from my local dealer (where I bought the BX). Today I replaced the fuel filters, air filter, then the trans filter. Removed the RL tire and pulled the strainer (used a #5 rubber stopper that worked perfectly) which was perfectly clean - gave me the opportunity to at least see and get aquainted with the process - easy!, and topped off the HST with udt. Started her up and ran around the yard then parked and let her sit a few min. Checked the HST level again - fine, and while just warm was ready to change the engine oil and replace the filter. Much to my surprise, the new oil filter was much bigger than the one installed. I looked up my model's oil filter part# and the dealer gave me the wrong filter. Upon closer inspection of the box the filter kit came in it was for the BX2660/BX2200 models. I just took what they sold me and happily walked out the door, never even read the label, luckily all the other filters were right. Tomorrow I'm going to the dealer, about 25 miles away, and hopefully trade the big filter for the right one so I can change my oil and filter tomorrow putting my first 50 hr service behind me.

Did you get UDT or SUDT?

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #208  
I got the super! SUDT that's all they had.
Just called my dealer and they'll exchange the filter for the right one - on my way now.:applause:

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #209  
I am no expert on the subject, but for my l5460 I did my own 50 hr with parts and fluid from the dealer and am very glad I did. They wanted a fortune, and in truth I have had a number of setup issues with the tractor that I am a little disappointed with.

So thinking the dealer is somehow magical has proved incorrect and I am better off taking on my own responsibility as much as possible. I seem to care a bit more about the details than they do. Multiple issues, all avoidable so far with the tractor setup.

The only challenge was getting off the hst filter, and I ended up using a punch and driving it loose with the notches on the filter.

I was really torn about changing the 50 qts of sudt, and waffled back and forth. Only maybe $300 extra, but seemed a crime against the earth if not necessary (manual says not necessary for 400 miles).

So to make myself feel better I drained some fluid into a clean container to look at it. Looked fine to me. Clear, no sheen, etc. So I haven't changed it yet, although I still might just to be cautious on such an expensive machine.

My suggestion (what I did) is carefully make sure you can loosen the hst filter before you commit and dump the oil. That way your tractor is not out of commission in the interim with the fluids drained......

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #210  
I used a strap wrench to get mine off and only a little bit of sudt came out, mostly draining from what was in the filter. Had the new filter ready and spun it on quickly. Lost more than I was expecting when I pulled the strainer - it really rushed out surprisingly fast, but had a #5 rubber stopper ready and plugged the hole quick. Strainer didn't need cleaning but I sprayed it down with brakleen anyway, waited for it to dry and reinstalled it. All the fluid that spilled out was very clear - should be good till the prescribed 400 hr change requirement. Topped off the HST with about 1/2qt and level is right.
Got the right engine oil filter now - hope to get the oil and filter changed today.