Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #21  
As far as oil types, my manual states to use SAE 10W-30 or 15W-40.
I use only 10W-30

But then again the manual states it takes 3.7 quarts when it actually takes 4,25 quarts

I wish I would have read/remembered reading Usta's post.

I just completed all the 50 hr changes and it went really smooth thanks to all the input here. I did have to drive to the store to get more oil. I had a gallon, and by the specs I thought it would be enough, but it is not.

I did have shavings on my screen though. I'm glad I pulled it and cleaned it. I had thought about not cleaning it until I read these posts.

Thanks again John for all the pictures, and everyone else for your input.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #22  
I also just completed my 50-hour service on my BX2660. It was EASY. And this is from a guy who has little mechanical skill, and even less experience with tractors.

If anyone is out there and unsure of whether or not to go for it on routine maintenance on the BX, do it. The owner's manual has good pictures and easy-to-follow directions. Or you can just follow Mr T's directions above.

Just don't get too worked up if you notice a couple of bolts protruding out of the back of the front axle. They're probably just the steering stops, and DON'T need to be screwed back in. Trust me, I know. :eek:

Another tip...I'd read several posts here on how the filters can be difficult to reach and/or remove (on tractors in general, not necessarily just with the BX line) and got a set of channel lock oil filter pliers, and they worked great!

Amazon.com: Channellock 209 9-Inch Oil Filter and PVC Plier: Home Improvement

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #23  
... I'm a hunt and pecker ...

Say that out loud, three or four times, real fast at the tractor shop and see what kind of reaction you get! :D:laughing:

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #24  
Nice post :)

Just an FYI: I am not sure about the other BX's, but I can change the engine oil and filter on my BX1860 without removing the front grille guard or the engine covers. I even left the mower deck on, just dropped it all the way to the floor. I used an oil pan that was slim enough to fit in there. It holds less than 2 qts of oil, so a small pan will do. Whole thing takes 10 minutes or so.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #25  
Nice post :)

Just an FYI: I am not sure about the other BX's, but
I can change the engine oil and filter on my BX1860 without removing the front grille guard or the engine covers.
I even left the mower deck on, just dropped it all the way to the floor. I used an oil pan that was slim enough to fit in there. It holds less than 2 qts of oil, so a small pan will do. Whole thing takes 10 minutes or so.
I can change the engine oil and filter on my BX23 AND BX1500 without removing the front grille guard or the engine covers.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #26  
I pull the cowling to change oil.

I almost always find something else to tweak. Loose alternator wire, gunk around the injector pump, harness too close to exhaust, steering hoses rubbing the frame, etc. There's always something.

It's nice to get a look around every once in a while.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #27  
the bx 24 is even easier because the oil filter is so much smaller

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #28  
Hey JT, thanks for the info and the pics. Great job as always. I had taken mine into the dealer for the 50 hour servicing. Won't do that ever again. As far as I'm concerned, I got raked over the coals-but I will chalk that one up to live and learn. The easy maintenance stuff I can handle, and keep the money in my wallet.:thumbsup:

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #29  
I can change the engine oil and filter on my BX23 AND BX1500 without removing the front grille guard or the engine covers.

I think it must be a BX2660 thing when it come to the front grille guard. I had to remove mine from my BX2660 in order to remove the hood.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX
Here are the pictures someone requested.