Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX
Bump.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #63  
My used BX24 is showing up with 391 hours on the clock and was a repossession so the first thing I want to do is a careful inspection and service. These posts are invaluable (as they are on the other forums I belong to). I am looking forward to this.

A couple more questions if I might (new to diesel and tractors). 1) In case my tractor shows up without a manual (yes I will get on) what API indicator should be used on the engine oil. Is there a particular brand folks like to use? 2) Is the Hydro fluid obvious in it's need for being changed, or should I just do it if I can't determine when the last full service was done? 3) Do the FEL and BH work off of the same tranny Hydro system, or is there another reservoir that needs to be checked and topped and with what?

Thanks....can't wait to get greasy. Oh....I assume my general purpose grease in my gun is ok for all the zerts, right?

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #64  

Someone should make this a sticky so it won't get lost and would be easy to find.

This write up and pics really made it easy for me to do my changes. Answered a lot of questions I was uneasy about.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #65  
My used BX24 is showing up with 391 hours on the clock and was a repossession so the first thing I want to do is a careful inspection and service. These posts are invaluable (as they are on the other forums I belong to). I am looking forward to this.

A couple more questions if I might (new to diesel and tractors). 1) In case my tractor shows up without a manual (yes I will get on) what API indicator should be used on the engine oil. Is there a particular brand folks like to use? 2) Is the Hydro fluid obvious in it's need for being changed, or should I just do it if I can't determine when the last full service was done? 3) Do the FEL and BH work off of the same tranny Hydro system, or is there another reservoir that needs to be checked and topped and with
what?

Thanks....can't wait to get greasy. Oh....I assume my general purpose grease in my gun is ok for all the zerts, right?

1. Any of the major diesel oils are fine. Available at a Wally World or TSC near you. Shell Rotella, Chevron, Mobil, and even house brand. Of course, you can also get Kubota re-branded (likely Ashland) at a dealer near you. These are NOT auto oil, of course.
2/3. The hydro unit powers all attachments, FEL, backhoe, etc. At 400 hours, I would absolutely drain EVERYTHING. HST, engine oil, radiator, front axle. Unless you know service was done, it is a no brainer. It also helps you get to know your new machine.

I would use Kubota branded HST fluid/filter.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #66  
Perfect....my thoughts exactly. It looks like 80 weight gear oil goes into the front diff but the hydro fluid handles the rear drive if what I am looking at is correct.

I will take your advice as I was kind of headed that way anyway since I will know nothing of the service history of the unit.

Thanks again for the great advice

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #67  
Perfect....my thoughts exactly. It looks like 80 weight gear oil goes into the front diff but the hydro fluid handles the rear drive if what I am looking at is correct.

I will take your advice as I was kind of headed that way anyway since I will know nothing of the service history of the unit.

Thanks again for the great advice

I put 75w-90 synthetic in my front axle. It's only a buck more a quart. Sold everywhere. Reason being I live so far north, I need the quick flow in the winter for snow plowing. Your climate may be different. Front axle hold a gallon, give or take. Don't forget the two vents so it can drain and re-fill each side. Now, it will fill fine. Then, after 4 hours of tractor work, re-check. Mine took another quart. This is considered typical of the BX front axle. It take awhile to get into all the little air pockets. This is NORMAL.

/ Do your own Fluids and Filters on a BX #68  
I put 75w-90 synthetic in my front axle. It's only a buck more a quart. Sold everywhere. Reason being I live so far north, I need the quick flow in the winter for snow plowing. Your climate may be different. Front axle hold a gallon, give or take. Don't forget the two vents so it can drain and re-fill each side. Now, it will fill fine. Then, after 4 hours of tractor work, re-check. Mine took another quart. This is considered typical of the BX front axle. It take awhile to get into all the little air pockets. This is NORMAL.

I use 75/90 in my Jeep diffs....that makes it pretty easy.

Bump for self changers on BX's. :thumbsup:

Bump.