Dodge Cummins Engine Concern

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #11  
Great find indeed.I had and sold a 2004 dodge 2500 quad cab 4X4 with the 5.9 cummins diesel,auto tranny 48re.Mileage wise highway running 55-65 mph would get a honest around 20-21 mpg.If you run 70-75 mph around 18-19 mpg.Pulling heavy 10,000 to 13,000 lbs I would get 14-15 mpg.If the truck is in good condition I would purchase it in a heart beat.

Last edited:
   / Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #12  
Umm, 2006 was the first year for the mega. You must mean quad cab.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #13  
Jump on it. I had an 04, loved it. Upgraded to an 11 and liked the power but hated the crappy mielage. Went back and found an early 07 mega with 5.9 and will never sell it. As has been mentioned earlier the motor in the 03 - early 07 is arguably the best cummins motor made, great power and mielage. And yes the mega cab is only in 06 and newer, definetly not in the 04.

Anyhow buy that truck and you won't regret it. Make sure to post pics.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #14  
Isn't the 2006 known for the bed rusting? I am trying to remember a friend traded his because Dodge would not cover the wheel well rust on the bed. I cannot remember if it was 2004 or 2006

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #15  
Isn't the 2006 known for the bed rusting? I am trying to remember a friend traded his because Dodge would not cover the wheel well rust on the bed. I cannot remember if it was 2004 or 2006
My 2004 started to get the rust around the wheel wells in 2007 and dodge covered it under warrenty and repainted the bed.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #16  
I think they had improved the rusting problem by 2006, it was the earlier ones that was more of a problem.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #17  
While I don't know the price.it's 1 heck of a motor. The only bad I would see is if it isn't 4wd.I love .my 07 4wd. I just wish it was a mega cab.I would love more room in the back. I use Baldwin fuel and Donaldson oil filters.Baldwin has the best micron rating for fuel..,..good luck.I hope it fits your needs

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #18  
The rusting problem, if it exists, can easily be fixed.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #19  
I would view the weekly exercising a big plus for a vehicle that sees limited use. I recently semi-retired my 2004 Sierra, but make a point of using it one day a week. If it fits your needs at a price you can stand, go for it.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #20  
My concerns would not be motor but tranny, body, suspension, and general rust issues that plague Dodges.

Chris