Does size really matter?

/ Does size really matter? #31  
MAD is probably right about this. THe more I think about the more it makes sense that bumping the fitting up to 1/2" allows for more fluid, that is the whole point generally of using larger lines - volume. And vollume = speed, all else equal.

/ Does size really matter? #32  
MAD is probably right about this. THe more I think about the more it makes sense that bumping the fitting up to 1/2" allows for more fluid, that is the whole point generally of using larger lines - volume. And vollume = speed, all else equal.

/ Does size really matter? #33  
Gotta jump in here...

IF the pump/system design (ie GPM) is not a limiting factor, the larger hoses should give faster cylinder movement.

Think about it. A cylinder has a FIXED volume on both inlet and outlet that must be moved into/outof the body to actuate the cylinder. Everybody understands that part.

A larger hose will move this volume more quickly, assuming the pump is up to the GPM required.

This is also assuming pressure is not an issue.

Normally, I would recommend hardlining larger lines as far as practical for reliability and for extending "Maximium pump performance" before going into valves, fittings, or flexlines. Generally, the larger the line, the longer it can extend without performance loss...generally.

There are limits and other factors, so this is not carved in stone, but generally true from a design point.

If in the end it doesn't perform fast enough, pick a good tune to hum while working- it seems to go faster that way! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif