Comparison Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST

/ Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST #1  

shoeguru1

Tractor
Kubota BX 2660
It has been a long process but I am down to two tractors. I am developing our old farm into a Venue for weddings, and other events. We will still do some cattle, but that will be handled by some other folks. My job is getting my part pretty. So I have about 1 miles of gravel roads to keep up and the side to keep mowed. I have a 5 acre field to keep tidy, the grade is pretty pitchy. Then I have lots and lots of rock to move and strategically place around a pond, creek walkways ect.

I decided a 50 HP tractor is the right size, and lift capacity and weight was critical to my decision process. This pretty much took Kubota out of the picture as the M series I looked at just did not have the lift capacity I wanted, and was much lighter.

No JD Dealer around me, so that took them out. Looked at a lot but I feel comfortable that these two will do a good job for me.

I really like the Kioti dealer, they have been very helpful and have answered all my questions, but they really bashed Mahindra. Nearest Mahindra dealer was at best OK. But I have been told there service department is not too good.

On paper the Mahindra and Kioti are pretty close, except in gross weight. The Mahindra is a beast, weighing in at 5389 lbs without loader. Te Kioti 4183. Kubota 3716, so a spread of over 1500 lbs.
The Kioti lifts just a bit more 3177 vs 3090, and the Kubota was only 2310

I preferred the Kioti controls and it was very comfortable for a tractor. But Really like the warranty of Mahindra, and less emissions stuff.

Price is so close it makes no difference, both around $28K with FEL

I would really like to hear from owners of either, or if someone has went through this.

Again thanks in advance for any info.

Dave

/ Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST #2  
I'd rather have a dealer with a confidence inspiring service department than a tractor with a better warranty and a dealer with a poor service department.

The other thing is that if you don't like the controls on one machine you're going to notice that every time you use it. The better warranty on the other machine may never be noticed.

I was very close to buying a Kioti NX5510 HSTC but realized I needed something much larger for the next couple of years.

/ Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST #3  
Not sure which Kubota you're looking at to compare, but the appropriate machine to compare would be the L5060. The specs would be pretty close to the other two. Also worth looking at (if you have dealer presence) would be the Massey 1754 and the LS XR5155.

Personally between the two tractors you mentioned I'd pick the Kioti.

/ Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST #4  
Not sure which Kubota you're looking at to compare, but the appropriate machine to compare would be the L5060. The specs would be pretty close to the other two. Also worth looking at (if you have dealer presence) would be the Massey 1754 and the LS XR5155.

Personally between the two tractors you mentioned I'd pick the Kioti.

A couple of things, are you getting HST or gear?

While the Mahindra is a beast, if you are more comfortable with the Kioti, that would be the one to get. You sure don't want to be on a machine for hours at a time and feel uncomfortable-awkward.

Load all 4 of your tires, that will give you plenty of traction with the Kioti plus it gives you a better-smoother ride IMO. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your decision. ;)

/ Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to circle back around and look at both one more time. I plan on keeping the tractor a long time. I am a little nervous with all the electronics on the Kioti. A lot of switches covered by a plastic box on the rear of the tractor. I worry about what happens in a few years, and who knows if the cover was left up and a lot of moisture got in that panel. Also Mahindra does seem to have a better system for dealing with tier 4 compliance. I guess one more review will not hurt. Biggest problem is neither of the local Mahindra dealers ever have the 3550 in stock. I have yet to actually sit on one. All have the 3540 which is the same chassis with lower HP and smaller tires.

/ Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST #6  
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to circle back around and look at both one more time. I plan on keeping the tractor a long time. I am a little nervous with all the electronics on the Kioti. A lot of switches covered by a plastic box on the rear of the tractor. I worry about what happens in a few years, and who knows if the cover was left up and a lot of moisture got in that panel. Also Mahindra does seem to have a better system for dealing with tier 4 compliance. I guess one more review will not hurt. Biggest problem is neither of the local Mahindra dealers ever have the 3550 in stock. I have yet to actually sit on one. All have the 3540 which is the same chassis with lower HP and smaller tires.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to make a couple of spread sheets and mark down pros and cons with the each tractor in front of you.:confused3:

Well went back today with the guy that helps me on the property (and actually the one who will use the tractor as much or more than me), We went to see the Mahindra I was looking at, and then we went to the Kioti dealership. After a few minutes he pulled me aside and said "you are buying way more tractor in size than we need". The NX5510 is a pretty large and tall tractor. We have some pretty steep areas to mow and he said that he was not sure he would be comfortable that high off the ground. I told him my main concern was the lift capacity. That's when the dealer said, why don't you look at the NX4510 HST. The tractor definitely felt smaller to operate, and I was more comfortable on it. The dealer and the spec sheet both said it would lift the same amount as the 55 HP version, something I still do not understand. Dealer said just make sure you have rear ballast.

Another thing I do not understand is overall weight. On the spec sheet the NX4510CH shows a weight of 4314 LBS, and the larger NX5510 4315 LBS, so actually the same. I guess the larger motor and tires do not effect weight.

SO..... I put about $3000 less out and bought the NX45CH. Thanks for all the input.

Dave

/ Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST #8  
The motor isn't larger. Everything about those tractors is the same except tire size and engine tuning.

/ Down to Kioti NX55HST or Mahindra 3550HST #9  
Well went back today with the guy that helps me on the property (and actually the one who will use the tractor as much or more than me), We went to see the Mahindra I was looking at, and then we went to the Kioti dealership. After a few minutes he pulled me aside and said "you are buying way more tractor in size than we need". The NX5510 is a pretty large and tall tractor. We have some pretty steep areas to mow and he said that he was not sure he would be comfortable that high off the ground. I told him my main concern was the lift capacity. That's when the dealer said, why don't you look at the NX4510 HST. The tractor definitely felt smaller to operate, and I was more comfortable on it. The dealer and the spec sheet both said it would lift the same amount as the 55 HP version, something I still do not understand. Dealer said just make sure you have rear ballast.

Another thing I do not understand is overall weight. On the spec sheet the NX4510CH shows a weight of 4314 LBS, and the larger NX5510 4315 LBS, so actually the same. I guess the larger motor and tires do not effect weight.

SO..... I put about $3000 less out and bought the NX45CH. Thanks for all the input.

Dave

As TSO mentioned....they are the same machine, with the same physical size engine. The 5510 and 6010 have one size larger wheels and tires, but that's it.

Interesting, thanks for the input. I think I am happy with the NX45