DOZER

/ DOZER #41  
Thanks guys for the feedback

Darin, sorry, couldn't sell her, she's the only one of three dozers I have that actually runs.

If I sold her, I'd have to repair one of the others to get my weekly dozer fix. And the trouble is, repairing dozers is real work, as opposed to operating them, which is play work. *G*

Dave

/ DOZER #42  
Steven,

You can buy that particular Cat D11N:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://usediron.point2.com/search/view-equipment-detail.html?equipmentPK=Eq1.25457AQ>http://usediron.point2.com/search/view-equipment-detail.html?equipmentPK=Eq1.25457AQ</A>

The Komatsu D575 Suer dozer is bigger that the Cat D11R. However my understanding is that it only runs for a week before it breaks down for two.

The D11R is 850 net horsepower, up from 770 in the D11N. This finally surpassed the DD9H (the two D9's front to back or side by side).

JT

/ DOZER #43  
I hear ya. 575 is really hard to haul I understand. They have to take the tracks off I think.

The D11 just needs the blade and cab removed and your ready to go.

Attachments

• 35-191328-D11Ronthemove.jpg
    35-191328-D11Ronthemove.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 627
   / DOZER #44  
Most of the bad press of the 575A was due to the first mass produced model having kinks in them like some new first year model cars. I worked for a company that bought a new one that had constant problems, then the next year had one that was great. The first year model one was mostly steering control prblems then had a faulty heat treated bolt fell loose in the transmission, chewed up alot of things. I hadnt got to be an operator for that company yet i was a temporary mobile machinist/mechanic. I did get to use an 8R alot, i like a straight blade alot, most operators here use sight and feel for control, GPS is nice Dad hates running a dozer with it. Myold boss asked me where he learnt to blue top (skim the grade hubs) with out the laser set up, hes been a dozer man for 44 years. Im more handy with a big dozer, im a wave maker with a short track small machine though. Dads realy good with a rubber tired dozer, I saw him use an 815 rubber tire cat alot when i was little. Most of my operator experience is with cranes and excavators and rubber tired hoes.

/ DOZER #45  
I don't have that kind of money hanging around for toys. maybe some day. I WISH!! doesn't cost anything to dream though..

/ DOZER
Not a D9 Hpw bout TD9

Had this Dresser Td 9 at the house for a week. I really liked ended up liking it alot. Sorry for the pic quality..

John

/ DOZER
Not a D9 How bout TD9

Had this Dresser Td 9 at the house for a week. I really liked ended up liking it alot. Sorry for the pic quality..

John

/ DOZER #48  
Re: Not a D9 How bout TD9

John4nh,

My dad has 2 TD 9's. The original International variants. Bought the first one over 2 yrs ago, then bought a 2nd for parts. Turns out the parts machine is in better shape than the original. He is working on restoration, but they both run. A 1948 or 9 (the 2nd one) and a 1951. Winch and manual angle blade on one. Nice machines. A TD 9 is roughly the equivalent of a D4 or 5. They are the breed (a TD 12) that my grandfather used to operate, so Dad bought them as sentimental toys. Unfortunately all my pics are closeups or a movie clip. But yes, I am a proud member of a 2 bulldozer family./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Nick

/ DOZER #50  
Re: Not a D9 How bout TD9

Scott (and others that might not know some of this),

Yes they are. Both. They start on gasoline. There is a lever on the dash that opens up an extra set of valves in the head that gives access to another chamber. This chamber has a spark plug in it, and with the added volume, provides the correct compression ratio for gasoline. It starts like any normal gasoline engine. Once running and after a while (several seconds in summer to a few minutes in winter) you slowly add diesel via the throttle lever. Once a good bit of black smoke is coming out the exhaust, in one quick motion, you close the extra valves, and add a bit more diesel. Then she bellers away on diesel. And runs like any normal diesel engine. It's just bizarre that on one side of the engine is a distributor and on the other an injection pump. It also sucks working on them, because you have 2 complete fuel systems to work on. Twice the work, but still fun. The second machine sat for 10 years and without a tarp or hood for several of them. After getting linkages loose, and determining that someone had her about 180 deg out of time, she started right up and idled smooth as could be. Amazing. Of course, you could only turn right, since the left steering clutch was seized. But that is just one of the joys.

Note that the above description is NOT what is called a pony motor. That was a seperate engine all together, though both techniques accomplished the same thing. I like this solution. It satisfies my engineering bent for elegance. TD 9 and elegance. Who'da thunk it?

If you want the mpeg movie of the first machine in operation (is 40 some odd seconds, recorded on a dig. camera), I can email it to you.

Nick