Drawbar Hitch

/ Drawbar Hitch #11  
Good Job making use of "scrap". Good functional tool.

Mike

/ Drawbar Hitch #12  
Had a hitch similar to yours but was never crazy about the fact that the 3-point doesn't apply down pressure. If the trailer or load is back heavy the load can raise the 3-point unexpectedly.

So I went to this idea instead.

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 588
   / Drawbar Hitch #13  
PineRidge said:
Had a hitch similar to yours but was never crazy about the fact that the 3-point doesn't apply down pressure. If the trailer or load is back heavy the load can raise the 3-point unexpectedly.

So I went to this idea instead.

You can limit the upward movement with a chain as in RONE's 2nd picture from 4 posts above.
I cheated and just bought one, see pic. but I use my bucket buddy contraption more.

Attachments

• P1068288 (1200 x 900).jpg
    P1068288 (1200 x 900).jpg
    345 KB · Views: 567
  • P1068282 (1200 x 900).jpg
    P1068282 (1200 x 900).jpg
    281 KB · Views: 446
   / Drawbar Hitch
PineRidge said:
If the trailer or load is back heavy the load can raise the 3-point unexpectedly.

My Yanmar has a valve under the seat that you can use to lock the 3-point hitch down.

/ Drawbar Hitch #15  
1m21 said:
My Yanmar has a valve under the seat that you can use to lock the 3-point hitch down.

Never thought of that.

Since the lock valve is intended to prevent downward movement of the 3pt, and with no intent to dispute what you say, are you sure there's no check valve, etc. in the system that would allow the 3pt to raise when the valve is closed.

I suppose I could check it out for myself by closing the valve and trying to lift the 3pt, but not sure I want to risk the pump doing it.

/ Drawbar Hitch #16  
1m21 said:
Interesting.
I've never heard of that before. I thought they all raised up without resistance? But you could lock them from going down further.

/ Drawbar Hitch
Tom_Veatch said:
Never thought of that.

Since the lock valve is intended to prevent downward movement of the 3pt, and with no intent to dispute what you say, are you sure there's no check valve, etc. in the system that would allow the 3pt to raise when the valve is closed.

I suppose I could check it out for myself by closing the valve and trying to lift the 3pt, but not sure I want to risk the pump doing it.

You all read your operators manuals, didn't you?:)

Page 27 Yanmar Diesel Tractor Operation Manual, "STOP VALVE The tractor is equipped with a stop valve located just under the seat, in between the operator's legs that can stop the three point system from moving. Turn valve clockwise to lock."

Then it has this warning, "DO NOT PULL THREE POINT CONTROL LEVER WHEN LOCK IS CLOSED." and "OPEN LOCK VALVE COMPLETLY WHEN NOT IN USE."

/ Drawbar Hitch #18  
Have you closed the valve and tried to lift the lower arms manually? Your manual could be construed to say that you can't lower or raise the 3PH with the hydraulics, especially if any translation is involved.

/ Drawbar Hitch
SnowRidge said:
Have you closed the valve and tried to lift the lower arms manually?

No, I can't say that I have. I guess I always figured if my 5' back blade couldn't lift it with the valve locked, I couldn't either.:)

/ Drawbar Hitch #20  
I actually just read that this week also. So, I went out & tried. No, it does not lock it from coming up, it only locks the hydraulics from lifting it up (or, allowing it to go down for that matter).