Drawbar Hitch

/ Drawbar Hitch #21  
jimmer2880 said:
I actually just read that this week also. So, I went out & tried. No, it does not lock it from coming up, it only locks the hydraulics from lifting it up (or, allowing it to go down for that matter).
So are you saying you can lift it up manually with the valve closed? That would make sense.
Otherwise you could get it to have down pressure by lowering an implement say off a ledge or something below the ground level. Then when you drive off, there would be down pressure on the implement because it could not raise up. I don't think that's the case?

/ Drawbar Hitch #22  
3RRL said:
So are you saying you can lift it up manually with the valve closed? That would make sense.
Otherwise you could get it to have down pressure by lowering an implement say off a ledge or something below the ground level. Then when you drive off, there would be down pressure on the implement because it could not raise up. I don't think that's the case?

sorry, yes, I was able to lift the 3pt by hand with the valve closed.

/ Drawbar Hitch #23  
3RRL said:

I've never saw a tractor that would do that, but wouldn't that be sweet 3RRL??? :)

/ Drawbar Hitch #24  
Yeah, it would be.
I've thought about it a lot. In fact, when I added hydraulic side links, I made them extra long to do something like that to a certain degree. Did you ever see the video I posted where the box blade actually starts to lift up the rear of the tractor when the side links are fully extended? (When using the side tilt)

But what I don't know is how good our tractors would handle it? So I'm a little leery of doing it. It would be like picking up the rear of the tractor by only the 3pt upper lift arms. All the stress would be on them and whatever castings they are in and what that is bolted to. On top of that, where your top link attaches to the tractor would put more force against that housing. Imagine the stress placed on the arms, castings and bolts as the tractor bounces around while moving forward. If you hit a hard spot, maybe the rear wheels would come off the ground or worse, the arms would bust or bolts or castings would break. I think this is similar to when guys break their tractors in half when using a 3pt backhoe. That's why sub frames are recommended to eliminate/reduce the stress on those other points.

/ Drawbar Hitch #25  
For instance, take mine for example, and I presume most are similar construction. My 3pt upper lift arms are encased in a hydraulic box which is bolted on top of the hydraulic reservoir. In turn, the reservoir is bolted to the top of the rear end. the top links fastens to the same casting. So to create a sort of down pressure, you would move the upper lift arms all the way up so they can't go any farther. It isn't really down pressure, it's just moving the upper lift arms all the way up so they can't move up anymore, thereby your implement could not move up anymore.

I can actually do this by extending one of my side links all the way down so when my box blade is tilted, the corner of it is pressing into the ground. I cut my gutters that way. I'm very careful, but I figure since only a sharp corner is engaged, like a plow blade or furrower, it is more likely to cut than say the entire rear blade of the box. Nevertheless, I really watch it when I use it that way.

When I extend both side link cylinders down all the way, the box blade is very close to touching the ground but misses by a couple inches. I could make it touch by repositioning the upper lift arms on the splined rod, but I'm reluctant to do it for fear of what I said above. Most of the construction equipment that do have down pressure, they are ten times beefier than our tractors and the connections are designed and mounted especially to accept that stress.

/ Drawbar Hitch #26  
So how could you do that to your tractor? Well, if you removed the side links where they connect to your upper lift arms, you would take that assembly out of play, except the top link. Then you could connect them to a heavy duty bracket which is directly mounted to the rear end or loader frame. The brackets would have to come up off the rear end or loader frame (or both) so that when you connect the side links to them, extending the side links would push the implement down. Raising the implement up would be through sucking up the side links. However, you still have to watch the top link, that it doesn't bend or worse, pop off your hydraulic box.

Sorry to get off track and the long reply, but like I said, I've been thinking about a lot. (LOL ... and you asked:) ) And I actually do it to a degree when cutting gutters, but I'm still connected to the upper lift arms. I have not made the brackets that go to the rear end or FEL braces. I did however, choose super beefy 3-1/2" cylinders with 1-1/2" rods for that reason. You can go to this thread to view the what I did. It shows the size of the cylinders, the amount of travel and pictures and a video.
Adding Hydraulic Side Links
Anyway, what I've discussed are a couple examples of how you can keep the 3 pt from raising up or apply down pressure. I'm sure there are many other TBN members who have their own ideas too? Maybe they will share them?

/ Drawbar Hitch #27  
3RRL said:
If you hit a hard spot, maybe the rear wheels would come off the ground or worse, the arms would bust or bolts or castings would break.

The other disadvantage becomes lack of traction, the less weight on the wheels........

/ Drawbar Hitch #28  
Yes, exactly.
The giant D-9 that cut my road weighed 110,000lbs, and my Kama fully loaded weighs maybe a little over 8,000 lbs. But I can see some usefulness in the theory for sure.

/ Drawbar Hitch #29  
You are right on target when talking about the changes in stress. The tractor chassis and lift system is not designed to handle upward pressure. It would certainly break something if used frequently. And we all know, but only some would admit, that we would use it like a rented mule if we had that ability!!! ;)

/ Drawbar Hitch #30  
And we all know, but only some would admit, that we would use it like a rented mule if we had that ability!!!

LOL... great way to put it.
I guess I'll be the first to admit doing it with my partial down pressure set up when cutting gutters.
But it works great though.:)