Drill baby drill!

/ Drill baby drill! #1  

Fixastuff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey
I added this horizontal directional drill to my fleet. It's an older unit but has been gone through and works well. This was a 70ft shot I did with my employee and the dude I bought it from showing us how to operate it. The next day we did a 325ft bore without any guidance and it went perfect. Went about 8ft deep at one point to dodge a sewer line.

Very excited about it. I have more drilling to do but had to take the machine home to do some adjustments on the pipe loading system. It holds 40 10ft pipe segments so you can drill about 380-390ft with it. It can backream up to a 26" diameter hole which is pretty crazy. Right now I'm just pulling one or sometimes two 2" diameter pieces of conduit.
20230829_191827.jpg
20230830_192759.jpg

It pumps in high pressure water during the operation so somethings things get muddy. (I've take off my boots at this point)

/ Drill baby drill! #2  
Nice rig!!

If you don’t mind what kind of rate is it to bore a hole with one of those machines?

I have wondered if a horizontal boring machine would work to develop a spring on our place?

/ Drill baby drill!
Nice rig!!

If you don’t mind what kind of rate is it to bore a hole with one of those machines?

I have wondered if a horizontal boring machine would work to develop a spring on our place?
Sent you a pm.

/ Drill baby drill! #4  
Those machines fascinate me, not the actual machine per se but how you can aim it in elevation and lateral direction. Any chance you can give an explanation? I remember seeing a pic where one went off course and ended up going thru a car in a parking lot across the street.

/ Drill baby drill! #6  
The head of the unit has a sensor in it you can track from the service and it s kind of shaped like a ducks bill, bent some so to speak. It just spins to go straight and aims down to go deeper. If you want to go right you aim the bent duck right, so when you’re trying to change direction it doesn’t spin. Want to go straight just it just spins again.

/ Drill baby drill!
Yep thats how it works. This is the drill head. It had a sensor that gives you pitch, depth and clock of the drill head. 12 makes it go up, 3 to the right, 6 straight down and 9 to the left. It blasts out high pressure water or mud mix(to keep hole open)

20230905_104428.jpg
20230905_104440.jpg

/ Drill baby drill! #8  
Cool stuff! The water company used one for their lines. Asked permission to come on my property to go under my rock wall and public road. Did put in a water service tap for the trouble if I ever needed city water. Hope whoever designed the machine made $$$ because it sure saves lots of digging.

/ Drill baby drill! #9  
My wife and I had drills for 17 years, that’s all we did for a living. Have a lot of stories to tell, they will make big money if you do it right. done really good and sold out a couple of years ago for a nice premium.

/ Drill baby drill!
My wife and I had drills for 17 years, that’s all we did for a living. Have a lot of stories to tell, they will make big money if you do it right. done really good and sold out a couple of years ago for a nice premium.
I'm going to send you a pm when I get some free time if it's OK.