Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use?

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #161  
I took mine in my Mom's 1985 Corolla.
My Dad took his in his boss's work truck at lunch, he passed the test pretty easily. After the test was over and they got back to the office, the instructor noticed that my Dad was there alone, and asked who drove the truck over? My Dad had the guts to say that he did! :LOL:
I did the same thing. The trooper wasn't too happy!

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #162  
I trained on a brand new '71 caprice with a 350, but took my test on Mom's '62 Olds Dynamic 88. The difference was night and day. The 394 in the Olds had more power but its 10 year old suspension was showing its age. The Caprice was much more refined and quiet.

I'd rather have the Olds today....

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #163  
67 Chevy Impala
First time in the drivers seat, on the way home - "don't forget the left blinker" - blinker lever is on the left, shifter on the right, chose the right lever. Drivers training ended for a while at that point.
That stuff happens sometimes. My cousin had to take the written test 4 times before she passed. It was a 40 mile round trip each time and her parents told her there would not be a fifth trip for the written test.

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #164  
I drove my mother's "rambler Classic" to the driver's test, alone. (Dakotas)

That was normal ... Not a blink ..

If you are ready to take the test. You dove home either way! ;-)

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #165  
Probably my Mothers Pontiac wagon :oops:
But I got my motorcycle test done on a full dress Harley. The tester said most every showed up on the same honda 250 - lol

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #166  
Buddy grew up in Kansas. He was dusting crops when other boys were putting cards in their bike wheels. He planned to get his pilot license on his 14th birthday. First date of eligibility. A storm came in that day but he had gotten the day off for this event and with Dads permission he flew 40-50 miles to the airport to take the test in some nasty wind and rain.
He parked and tied Dads little personal plane down, walked inside and ask if he could take the pilots license test. 2 instructors looked down at the small boy and said who brought you in here?
Nobody, Sir. I flew in by myself. Can I take the test please.
Oh heck no - said on guy I'm not going up in this mess with some green kid. The other instructor agreed. The boy complained. It's my only day off and I've been waiting for months.
An old man walked up from the back - Where you learn to fly son? You got a plane here?
At home Sir, spraying the fields, and yes Sir My plane is right outside.

So off they went and up they went.The little boy making a decent take off pulling and pushing the controls against the cross winds. After a short flight he was instructed to bring it back in. The rain was bad and wind was strong but he did his best to keep her right down the runway. As soon as he touched down the instructor told him to lift off and go around again. Doing as he was told the boy fought the wind and brought the plane in for another landing only to hear the old man say go around again... Obeying the boy poured on the power and pulled up again- then he ask if he was doing something wrong (after all he made 3 landings) No, not at all said the old man I'm just enjoying watching a boy fight the wind and rain for 3 perfect landings on a day when most men wouldn't fly.
He flew home with a pilots license and the biggest grin.

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #167  
Buddy grew up in Kansas. He was dusting crops when other boys were putting cards in their bike wheels. He planned to get his pilot license on his 14th birthday. First date of eligibility. A storm came in that day but he had gotten the day off for this event and with Dads permission he flew 40-50 miles to the airport to take the test in some nasty wind and rain.
He parked and tied Dads little personal plane down, walked inside and ask if he could take the pilots license test. 2 instructors looked down at the small boy and said who brought you in here?
Nobody, Sir. I flew in by myself. Can I take the test please.
Oh heck no - said on guy I'm not going up in this mess with some green kid. The other instructor agreed. The boy complained. It's my only day off and I've been waiting for months.
An old man walked up from the back - Where you learn to fly son? You got a plane here?
At home Sir, spraying the fields, and yes Sir My plane is right outside.

So off they went and up they went.The little boy making a decent take off pulling and pushing the controls against the cross winds. After a short flight he was instructed to bring it back in. The rain was bad and wind was strong but he did his best to keep her right down the runway. As soon as he touched down the instructor told him to lift off and go around again. Doing as he was told the boy fought the wind and brought the plane in for another landing only to hear the old man say go around again... Obeying the boy poured on the power and pulled up again- then he ask if he was doing something wrong (after all he made 3 landings) No, not at all said the old man I'm just enjoying watching a boy fight the wind and rain for 3 perfect landings on a day when most men wouldn't fly.
He flew home with a pilots license and the biggest grin.
Man that's a great story. (y) (y)

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #168  
At 16, I took my regular license test in an '82 Chevy 3/4ton we inherited from my grandfather... we went to church with the state trooper that gave me the ride along test, who knew full well I'd been rowing the gears in trucks on the farm for 5 years already... test was a cake walk, up the road a mile, turn around at a wide spot on the country 2 lane road, back to the trooper barracks, passed.

Motorcycle test was on an '82 Yamaha Virago 900... surprised they passed me, it was LOUD... straight pipes, obnoxiously noisy.

CDL was some late '90s Kenworth day cab with flat deck trailer. Previous experience consisted of driving it around the shop lot for practice the day before. During the road test, I missed a downshift coming into a stoplight a bit hot, using service brakes far more than one should to stop, but they passed me anyway. Haven't driven a mile for pay since then in a truck that requires CDL, but I've got a Class A with tanker and air brake endorsement none the less.

Nearly 30 years of licenced driving, and so far, never totaled a vehicle, only hit a few deer and minor fender-benders, a few speeding tickets... I consider myself lucky.

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #169  
I had my own car but decided to go the safe route and used my Grandmother's 1972 4-door Buick Skylark...

Somehow showing up in a restoration in process Model A Ford seemed like asking for trouble...

I had my own car but decided to go the safe route and used my Grandmother's 1972 4-door Buick Skylark...

Somehow showing up in a restoration in process Model A Ford seemed like asking for trouble...
'49 Ford, 3 on the column, flathead 8. I paid $50 for it in 1960.Similar to this one.

49 Ford.jpg