Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use?

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #151  
'72 Dodge Dart 4 door. Mom's car. In NYS we did it on the road in regular traffic in the center of town. The parallel parking was done on regular civilian cars on the street and the K turn was in the straight stretch of Main St. We laughed at the NJ drivers who took theirs in parking lots.

I took my MC test in the same place on a '77 Suzuki 185 on/off road model.

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #152  
My grandfather's 55 or 56 Oldsmobile with him along. He was one for pinching a nickle until the buffalo squeaked and had the idle set so low that the engine was gasping. The licensed driver had to provide the testing officer their license. Grandpop handed me his Order of Fleas (or something like that) card. That was not a good start. Then I stalled the Olds like three times due to the low idle for which I was failed.

Next try, my brother went with me. Once on the way we stopped and put the idle up. I passed the test. On the way home, we put the idle back down. Gramp's was waiting when we pulled up to see if I had passed this time. Before he got in to pull the car into the garage he noticed that the idle was off. He set it bad down even further...

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #153  
A friend happened to be born the same day as I was but lived on a farm. If I recall correctly, he got his permit and took the test the same day? He passed too.

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #154  
A friend happened to be born the same day as I was but lived on a farm. If I recall correctly, he got his permit and took the test the same day? He passed too.

Same here

I turned 16 on a Saturday and got my learners licence Monday morning and passed my drivers license later the same week.

They didn’t have “classifications” back then. I had to take my drivers test in the heaviest truck I intended to drive ( a 5 ton at the time with 5 speed trans and 2 speed rear axle)

I made two errors but passed.

1I didn’t honk the horn before backing up

2 changed gears mid intersection

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #155  
I got my motorcycle license at 14. It was a shortened written test, then I rode the motorcycle in the parking lot. Honked the horn, figure 8 with blinkers, then a straight line. All in 1 day and passed, went directly to DMV and got the license.

Renewed my motorcycle license at 16 and they gave me a car license. Didn't notice until I made it outside. I went back in and told them it was supposed to be a motorcycle license. They fixed it and printed a new one, a car license with a motorcycle endorsement. Figured that was close enough. I got my car license without the written or driving test.

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #156  
!941 Mercury coupe

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #157  
1974 Chevy Vega

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #158  
67 Chevy Impala
First time in the drivers seat, on the way home - "don't forget the left blinker" - blinker lever is on the left, shifter on the right, chose the right lever. Drivers training ended for a while at that point.

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #159  
I took mine in my Mom's 1985 Corolla.
My Dad took his in his boss's work truck at lunch, he passed the test pretty easily. After the test was over and they got back to the office, the instructor noticed that my Dad was there alone, and asked who drove the truck over? My Dad had the guts to say that he did! :LOL:

/ Driver's License... What Vehicle did you use? #160  
1962 Ford Falcon. 3 on the tree, no air, no power steering/brakes. 170 6-cylinder. Would start EVERYtime with the choke. Never used a drop of oil.