Driving BX2230 over septic system?

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #1  

proudestmonkey

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
Is this a bad idea? I used to use my JD L130 lawn tractor to mow over my rather large septic system area, but it was only about 600 pounds. The BX2230 is over 1,500 pounds with water-weighted wheels and mmm. So, I am hesitant to ride over it. The septic system is about 8 years old if that matters, and is situated on a fairly good incline.

What do others do?

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system?
Is this a bad idea? I used to use my JD L130 lawn tractor to mow over my rather large septic system area, but it was only about 600 pounds. The BX2230 is over 1,500 pounds with water-weighted wheels and mmm. So, I am hesitant to ride over it. The septic system is about 8 years old if that matters, and is situated on a fairly good incline.

What do others do?

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #3  
This has been discussed to death here. Do a search for septic systems.

Bottom line is it all depends on the type and design of your system. Leach fields can be designed to be in the middle of a driveway or unpaved parking lot. Leach fields leach into the ground not up to the top of the ground.

I run my 15,000 lb bulldozer over my leach field with no problem. I run my B2710 over my septic tank with no problem. A small B series like yours would normally be no problem either.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #4  
This has been discussed to death here. Do a search for septic systems.

Bottom line is it all depends on the type and design of your system. Leach fields can be designed to be in the middle of a driveway or unpaved parking lot. Leach fields leach into the ground not up to the top of the ground.

I run my 15,000 lb bulldozer over my leach field with no problem. I run my B2710 over my septic tank with no problem. A small B series like yours would normally be no problem either.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #5  
Yep depends on your system. If you got one of those new things that just lays on top of the ground with a little gravel on top I would not. You could drive 18 wheel truck over mine it is ten feet deep.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #6  
Yep depends on your system. If you got one of those new things that just lays on top of the ground with a little gravel on top I would not. You could drive 18 wheel truck over mine it is ten feet deep.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #7  
I drive my BX2230 over my 1000 gal tank with no problem's.The tank is only about 1 foot under,Been there for almost 30 years.I have a old style drain feild so no problems there.Also mow out at our church and mow the sand mound bed with no ill effects.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #8  
I drive my BX2230 over my 1000 gal tank with no problem's.The tank is only about 1 foot under,Been there for almost 30 years.I have a old style drain feild so no problems there.Also mow out at our church and mow the sand mound bed with no ill effects.

I did do a search on it, but apparently my searches were not well-phrased. I found a number of threads about using your tractor to build a septic system, but nothing about whether you can drive your BX over one.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am a city boy who's never lived somewhere with a septic system, so I am not even sure which kind I have. Mine is about 8 years old, it covers an area that is about 20 feet wide by 30-40 feet long, with about 10 white vents sticking up out of the ground. That sounds like a drain field to me, which also makes sense because the ground is sandy there. On the other hand, the previous owner said we need to have someone come and pump it out every 2 to 3 years, so it also sounds like it has a tank (and there's a heavy-duty concrete manhole-style cover over what I assume is the tank. I don't know how deep the tank is. I was also told that the system is much larger than it really needs to be for our household size. Our inspector told us that the septic system is designed for a family with 6 to 8 people living in the home, but its just me and my wife now. What I might do is call the previous owner and see what he thinks. He owned a big old JD tractor, so maybe he drove over it. If he did, there shouldn't be a problem. I have to believe his tractor weight 2 to 3 times what mine does. He's a really good guy and might appreciate the call anyway just to say hi.

I did do a search on it, but apparently my searches were not well-phrased. I found a number of threads about using your tractor to build a septic system, but nothing about whether you can drive your BX over one.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am a city boy who's never lived somewhere with a septic system, so I am not even sure which kind I have. Mine is about 8 years old, it covers an area that is about 20 feet wide by 30-40 feet long, with about 10 white vents sticking up out of the ground. That sounds like a drain field to me, which also makes sense because the ground is sandy there. On the other hand, the previous owner said we need to have someone come and pump it out every 2 to 3 years, so it also sounds like it has a tank (and there's a heavy-duty concrete manhole-style cover over what I assume is the tank. I don't know how deep the tank is. I was also told that the system is much larger than it really needs to be for our household size. Our inspector told us that the septic system is designed for a family with 6 to 8 people living in the home, but its just me and my wife now. What I might do is call the previous owner and see what he thinks. He owned a big old JD tractor, so maybe he drove over it. If he did, there shouldn't be a problem. I have to believe his tractor weight 2 to 3 times what mine does. He's a really good guy and might appreciate the call anyway just to say hi.