Driving BX2230 over septic system?

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #31  
You'll be fine with the BX. I keep the big tractor off mine, and mow with a 1600# zero turn. I have 2 1000 gallon tanks, (big house and I wanted the waste lines as short as possible) and 15 50' laterals into a raised bed, (gravity fed). Way over built, but I did it myself and it's built for life. My concreate tanks have 8" of cover.

I've seen concrete tanks stacked 2 high at the supplier's yard. At 10K#'s each they'll support the bx....

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #32  
You'll be fine with the BX. I keep the big tractor off mine, and mow with a 1600# zero turn. I have 2 1000 gallon tanks, (big house and I wanted the waste lines as short as possible) and 15 50' laterals into a raised bed, (gravity fed). Way over built, but I did it myself and it's built for life. My concreate tanks have 8" of cover.

I've seen concrete tanks stacked 2 high at the supplier's yard. At 10K#'s each they'll support the bx....

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system?
Based on the number of posts that seem to suggest it could be a problem, I think I will avoid driving over it. Its not that big of a deal to use the push behind, and if it will save me the risk of serious and expensive damage, then I'll play it safe.

I do plan to call the previous owner though, because now I am curious about what I've got under the ground. Besides, I want to have him out here if he'll come for coffee or lunch and so I can take a picture of him in front of the house he built. It was his dream house, which he designed himself, and mostly built, but had to sell because he had a stroke and his wife left him /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

--the good news is, after a year and a half of trying to sell the house (he had three buyer's closings fall through before we came upon the scene), we gave him full list price because it was worth it.

Based on the number of posts that seem to suggest it could be a problem, I think I will avoid driving over it. Its not that big of a deal to use the push behind, and if it will save me the risk of serious and expensive damage, then I'll play it safe.

I do plan to call the previous owner though, because now I am curious about what I've got under the ground. Besides, I want to have him out here if he'll come for coffee or lunch and so I can take a picture of him in front of the house he built. It was his dream house, which he designed himself, and mostly built, but had to sell because he had a stroke and his wife left him /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

--the good news is, after a year and a half of trying to sell the house (he had three buyer's closings fall through before we came upon the scene), we gave him full list price because it was worth it.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #35  
In most communities, the septic design is required to be certified by a licensed designer and is kept on file with the Department of Health. Go find out what you have and understand how it works. If it's a leach field where water percs down ito the ground then you will have no problems.

If you are worried about your lightweight BX then you should also be worried about having garden parties or group gatherings on top of the system too. The weight per square inch of a dozen or more adults will be much more than the weight of your BX on each wheel.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #36  
In most communities, the septic design is required to be certified by a licensed designer and is kept on file with the Department of Health. Go find out what you have and understand how it works. If it's a leach field where water percs down ito the ground then you will have no problems.

If you are worried about your lightweight BX then you should also be worried about having garden parties or group gatherings on top of the system too. The weight per square inch of a dozen or more adults will be much more than the weight of your BX on each wheel.

Good points.

You know, I think its possible that, when we bought the house, the appraiser may have obtained those drawings, and specs. to make sure it wasn't an unforeseen expense. I should go back and look through my stack of purchase documents.

My septic system definitely has a leach field. The question for me is, how deep is it. Also, it has a tank. There's even a cap on the top of the tank for the sewer guy to insert his hose into the tank to suck the sludge out. Again, the question is how deep is it, and how far does it extend.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

Good points.

You know, I think its possible that, when we bought the house, the appraiser may have obtained those drawings, and specs. to make sure it wasn't an unforeseen expense. I should go back and look through my stack of purchase documents.

My septic system definitely has a leach field. The question for me is, how deep is it. Also, it has a tank. There's even a cap on the top of the tank for the sewer guy to insert his hose into the tank to suck the sludge out. Again, the question is how deep is it, and how far does it extend.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #39  
Also find out all you can about the septic tank and its strength. All this should be on the certified dwawings along with how deep the distribution pipes are and how much gravel is above and below the pipes. Then on top of that you probably have 3"-6" of topsoil.

My tank is only 4" below grade and I run my B2710 over it all the time but the tank is reinforced and such loads are permitted. If it was deeper I would drive the dozer over it too with no problems. The leach field pipes are almost 12" below grade and covered with 6" of gravel. Your plans will indicate what you have.

Remember, when the water starts percing up to the surface grade, your system is failing.

/ Driving BX2230 over septic system? #40  
Also find out all you can about the septic tank and its strength. All this should be on the certified dwawings along with how deep the distribution pipes are and how much gravel is above and below the pipes. Then on top of that you probably have 3"-6" of topsoil.

My tank is only 4" below grade and I run my B2710 over it all the time but the tank is reinforced and such loads are permitted. If it was deeper I would drive the dozer over it too with no problems. The leach field pipes are almost 12" below grade and covered with 6" of gravel. Your plans will indicate what you have.

Remember, when the water starts percing up to the surface grade, your system is failing.