Dual Brakes on an HST tractor

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #11  
i wish i could use mine easier. they're on the right, same side as the hst rocker pedal. clutch is on the left by itself. nh tc30

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #12  
My tractor brake is on the left(only one pedal) my HST is on the right.............yes, I still get confused sometimes, but for the most part, I've got it down.

The biggest thing I like about the 'left' brake is hooking up implements. I have a positive stop by using the 'left foot brake', whereas with a ' right foot brake' ya gotta do the "shuffle". While most all hydros will stop instantly when the forward or reverse pedal is realeased, you still get some movement which can 'misalign' implements.

It's all a matter of preference really, but I'm sure you can understand the logic of the 'left' brake pedal.

And don't take this wrong, I'm not demeaning anyone. Everyone has preferences..........that's why we have McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's.

I can certainly understand that people have different preferences. I am old enough to remember when some motorcycles had brakes on the left and shifter on the right. I traded my 66 Honda in on a 67 Bultaco and blew through a couple of stop signs on the way out of town and had a fairly bad wreck when someone wanted to try my Bultaco out and wound up crashing into me when he hit the wrong pedal and both bikes wound up going down and into a barbed wire fence; got some scars on that one. In the 70's left foot shift and right foot braking was mandated on all motorcycles made in or imported into the US.

I work on slopes close to ponds and steep drop offs and know from personal experience that in those "OH S***" moments milliseconds count and my right foot automatically goes to the right foot brake.

I do what works best for me and others do the same; no right way or wrong way.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #13  
Like Don87, I have found the left brake, right hydro pedals to be a real asset in many situations where precise control was an absolute necessity.

Removing large chunks of a cut tree trunk with the FEL on an uphill grade was one that comes to mind. It would have been very difficult and a lot less safe to accomplish otherwise.:thumbsup:

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #14  
My Kioti has the brakes on the left side, and i cannot engage the cruise control unless they are locked together.

If i have the lock disengaged, i get NO cruise control. Oh well, i rarely if ever used my old tractor with the pedals disengaged. so i guess its not really an issue.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #15  
When I had my JKubota, I just could not understand why anyone would need steering brakes in the modern tractor. HST and brakes were on the same side, seemed comfortable. I had played with the brakes on a Ford 9N, and a Farmall-A. Couldn't see the need on a modern tractor. Even made great claims here on TBN.

I am a convert! I have left side brakes and right side HST on my NH TC40D. With the loader off, and mowing in some tight or off camber area's, it has turned out to be a great thing! I don't think I'll be making heavy use of the steering brakes, but gosh, was I wrong about how handy they can be.

As mentioned earlier, on my old Kubota, and on other tractor where the HST and brakes are on the same side, and are not user-friendly, it is probably because of mass production and commonality of parts between tractor lines.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #16  
Just wondering how long it will take to get to hydrostatic tractors with a joystick control? That would eliminate the steering wheel, multiple pedal clusters and arguing about this on TBN:D

Just kidding:laughing: Nothing would prevent the arguing.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #17  
Just wondering how long it will take to get to hydrostatic tractors with a joystick control? That would eliminate the steering wheel, multiple pedal clusters and arguing about this on TBN:D

All kidding aside, my Power Trac is all hydraulic drive and implements. You could easily replace the steering valve and directional pedals with one joystick and then put electric diverter solenoid valves on the FEL circuits and operate the entire tractor with one joystick. I think a Power Trac would be an ideal platform for conversion to a handicap operational utility tractor. ;)

Also, it has NO brakes. :)

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #18  
On my TYM T330hst it has dual brake pedals on the left side. On the right side is the forward and reverse pedal along with a master brake pedal. That is the main one I use and it is also the parking brake. I rarely use the turning brakes but it is nice to have when you need them. I mainly use them in the winter when turning in close quarters. I like not needing to use the cruse control when using the turning brakes. I feel it is much safer when you dont need to use the cruse control and turning brakes together.

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #19  
CUT's are years behind in that respect.

Joysticks have been available on skidsteers and tracked-loaders for years. It would not be that hard to make a CUT with HST and PS joystick controlled.

I've run skidsteers with Joystick control; sweet... :D

/ Dual Brakes on an HST tractor #20  
CUT's are years behind in that respect.

Joysticks have been available on skidsteers and tracked-loaders for years. It would not be that hard to make a CUT with HST and PS joystick controlled.

I've run skidsteers with Joystick control; sweet... :D

While pilot control joysticks are surely the direction things will go in the future, I still have some reservations. Recently a neighbor was having a septic system installed and a fellow who was doing the excavating stopped to talk to me. He asked if I knew anything about New Holland skid steers. He said his skid steer's computer was on the fritz and he was not pleased. Evidently he had a loose connector somewhere in his harness and it would work sometimes and sometimes not. He was really stressed that he had a job to do and his equipment was failing.

What I got from all of this is that mechanical connections to levers and joysticks should only be replaced with the most bullet-proof electrical connections when everyone goes to pilot type control joysticks. Perhaps multiple redundancy is needed in critical circuits. Chasing electrical problems is NOT something most field operators can do like they can with direct mechanical links.:(